Joranda Range

arzdave

I got called for a Population Control hunt on the Jornada...anybody hunted there? Just curious about what to expect.

Not a real dense population, but, if you hunt hard you will find them.
Windmill platforms are great places to glass from.

Daughter had it a few years ago. Great hunt. We were able to just check in with 2 way radios. Not sure how it works now.

My friend had the hunt a few years ago. There are a few on there but basically it is like 50% of elk tags given to LOs, it is a subsidy. The worker told us they would be laid off without the tags. There are a few in there though. Again just another game tag abuse subsidy imo. I think they get a few out there monthly to charge. I believe they get another 100.00 off you too maybe.

Been there twice and brought an oryx home each time. First one about an hour before dark on the last day and the second took about 15 mins after leaving the headquarters.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-11 AT 10:48PM (MST)[p]On the range go east and then north look for them in the hills

Nmbighorn

My daughter missed a real good bull in the morning and took a small cow before dark the first day.
Would love to go back. We hunted hard, but, did not see many.

My son had the hunt at Jornada a few years back. We saw some the first day and he bagged his first oryx, a young one, but good eating. The folks there were super helpful and I assure you this is not a money maker for them. I think we paid $100 and 2 guys helped us all day long.
As with all oryx hunt, be prepared to make a long shot....

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]The worker told us they would be laid off without the tags? Bullbreath maybe you are talking about a different ranch rather than the Jornada Experimental Range.

I don't think so. This is the USDA Jornada Experimental Range. 100% government owned and I know for a fact they do these hunts to manage the population and not for $$. They have some monster oryx on the ranch but not around every corner. The guys that help during the hunt are the guys that work on the ranch.

By no means is this a game tag subsidy or a abuse of tags. They really don't have to run the few hunts that they do. In my opinion this would be one of the best population management hunts offered.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-11 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]I must have made a mistake. This is a agricultural place off base. I have been successful on and off base with Oryx and would have had a 3 one off range if I had not waited for a closer shot. Anyway, this place is not highly funded. It is bearly funded and yes this place does appreciate the extra 100 dollars they get per hunter. It was averaging over 2k/month and those two workers told me it helps with the limited funds they have for that place. Not alot on this place. Yes my friend missed a nice one but we drove the hole place twice and only saw a few. It is not like herds are destoying large crops. That would be a stretch. Anyway, sounds like a different place.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom