Jr's offrange oryx

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
My sons offrange oryx hunt started yesterday. It ended up being a fairly short hunt.

He passed up this old bull mid morning, but after thinking about for a couple of hours, decided he really wanted to take it. We took his best friend who had never been hunting, and I think Jr. really wanted to fill his tag while his buddy was there. So, we headed into the hills where we had seen the bull go a couple of hours before, and Jr. made a great 250 yard shot and rolled the bull over.

Like most oryx, he took a couple of more shots to finish him off. He's the biggest bodied oryx I have ever seen. It's teeth were worn down to the gumline.

When we saw the bull earlier in the morning, he could have killed within a hundred yards of the truck. He ended up killing him a almost mile away where we had to pack him. But, it makes for a better story and better pics.:D

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

Jr. and his buddy Jake.

DSC01008.jpg

Jr. and Jake taking out the first load, while I stayed back to butcher. ;-)

DSC01027.jpg

Jr. with the last load.

DSC01034.jpg

Nothing like takin out some kids and watching them fill their tag.congratulations to everyone involved.

Congrats to your son on filling his tag with a lot of meat going into the freezer!

What a cool trophy that old scrapper bull is. I can't help but notice how tight all the rings are around the bases of his horns.

Congrats to Jr.

That is to cool. That looks like one bad azz old bull. They look look like billy clubs on his head.
I bet his friend is hooked as well
Are those scars on his head? Can imagine he has been in some battles.
Dad can put him on the wall as well.

Thanks everybody.

NMPaul, there was no hair on him from between the horns and a couple of inches back. Just one big scar. My boy wants to put him on the wall just the way he is - no "fixes". I think it's cool.

Congrats to Jr. What a cool old bull to harvest. That and it's nice to finally start seeing some harvest photos!

Great to see some kids out learning a great passtime and skills that can be used for a lifetime. I hope Jrs friend picks up the sport as well.

Can you imagine that old beast fighting with the 30 and 40 inchers.

He must have been a tough old warrior. I bet if he got inside he tore em up.

Very nice, got to love those old ones and how tough them turn out to be.
As I have said before "any elk close to a road is a good one".
I think that applies to Oryx too. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom