Jr's Texas whitetail

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
Last summer I had a buddy call me that had a friend of friend that manages some property near Post, TX, and wanted to have a mangement buck hunt. A guided Texas whitetail hunt had never been high on my list, but the price was great, and I thought it might be fun to buy the tag for my boy.

So, Friday I picked up my son early from school and we made the 6 hour drive to Post, with a stop in Lubbock to look around Gander Mountain.

The hunt actually ended up being a blast. No tripod stands, corn flingers or high fences. We saw a lot of game including mule deer, hogs, a bobcat and some turkey. The country was beautiful, and the ground was covered with acorns. It was pretty windy though, and I think it kept the deer down for most of the morning.

Around 11:00 am on Saturday, we decided to head for some caprocks, where we could get a vantage point, and try to rattle a buck in. Our guide, Robbi, was doing the rattling, and I was glassing for anything that might come in. As soon as he hit those antlers, This buck jumped up from about 300 yards away, and came running in. I was excited to see he met the requirements for a management buck, since we had been seeing a lot of bigger bucks that morning. It was really one of the cooler things I've experienced hunting. When the buck got within 50 yards, Robbi touched those antlers together very lightly, and the buck stopped immediately. My boy put him down on the spot. Jr. was as excited as I've seen him. I couldn't get him to stop looking at the antlers long enough to look up at the camera.:D It really was a good time.

jrwt1.jpg

jrwt2.jpg

jrwt3.jpg

Congradulations!!! Thats what its all about, I bet he is still stoked about it. Congrats on a fine whitey there Jr.

You and your boy did Great.

It's funny. Post's football team are the
Post Antelopes. Go figure.

Good job.

larry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom