Jr's Unit 15 elk

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
It was a great hunt this weekend (especially when the weather cooperated). Saturday morning the elk were bugling until the sun came up, then quite until Monday morning after the bad weather cleared. Not sure what was going on with the rut, but saw many herds of cows and calves unaccompanied by bulls.

My son got this bull Monday morning. I think the bull was pretty excited to have 4 cows with him because he would not shut up. We followed his bugles for about an hour before we finally closed in on him. My son made a beautiful 175 yard heart shot, and the bull dropped on the spot. He was shooting his TC Triumph with 300 grain Powerbelts and 120 grains of BH209 powder. This wasn't the biggest bull on the mountain, but it does not matter. It's my son's first elk, and neither one of us could be happier.

jrelk4.jpg

jrelk3.jpg

jrelk2.jpg

CONGRATS Jr and nmtaxi.....That is a nice bull...Great job and a great shot...I was out there on Sunday and I know that country was pretty wet...

Congrats Again!

Dan

Congrats indeed! Great bull and story and a nice shot by the sounds of it. A bull your son should be proud of and congrats on getting out and hunting together. I wonder who was grinning more, you or your son!

Very Nice Congrats to both of you what a whirlwind the last couple of weeks must have been for both of you.

Jordan

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-08 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys. My boy hasn't wiped the grin off his face yet.

Arley, very easy pack out. We chased this bull's bugles for an hour, and my boy ended up shooting him near a two track. Just back the truck up and put it in. Doesn't get any better than that.

Congrats to the both of you, thats a great bull. Your son did just right. How does that smoke pole shoot by the way , I know I know , good enough....

Thanks for the post. No matter the outcome, chasing those bugling bulls will turn anyone into a hunter for life. Man I just love those gila bulls. Great post.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom