Judging antelope

Ed

I was very fortunate this year to draw a rifle antelope tag here in Arizona and have scouted the unit three times so far. I have seen numerous bucks and several look very nice. I definitely don't want to pull the trigger on the first buck that looks nice but if I knew what to look for in a nice buck it would help. Any input on how to quickly judge a live antelope?

They're tough to judge. With an AZ tag I'd spend a few bucks and get the video put out by the Grimetts and/or the Eastman's trophy antelope book.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/community/pdf/FC_Summer2003_fieldjudging.pdf

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-09 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]That was GREAT advice, also remember, big antelope look really big! Look at as many bucks as you can find and try to kill the biggest one! I know it sounds simple, but unless you are trying for a particular score, it is sound advice. Cutters above the ear, long cutters and horns that look like stovepipes. Many bucks will appear to be long, but go for mass. Thin bucks are decieving. Mass #1 and high long cutters #2 "upper mass #3. If they look REALLY big they probably are!

Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Thanks Madglasser that answers the biggest question in my head. I've seen several that were quite long, and a few that were very thick. I was wondering what's the best thing to go for, the length or diameter of horn. It sounds like diameter of horn is better. Plus, they look cooler to me.

If you find a buck with good mass, and his horns still look long, chances are they'll be plenty long enough. In fact, if they're heavy and still look long, chances are they'll be longer than you'd expect.

I'm going through the same scouting in the upcoming weeks as you, as my son drew both a prime California pronghorn tag, as well as another great tag in Nevada. I'm going to be spending the next few weekends looking for a couple super pronghorn bucks. Mass, then high and long cutters, then length. Don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you guys might decide on a buck that's a little smaller if he's got classic shaped horns.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]Congrats on the tag! What unit did you draw? Once you see a big lope, you'll know it. Honestly, I looked at over 20 bucks this weekend & when I finally saw a big one it was obvious.

formula for big antelope:

M+P+L squared= B&C

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom