Juneau fishing

EVILNR

Very Active Member
Headed up to Juneau next week with hopes of getting myself and 10yr. Old boy on some fish. Rivers, creeks, streams, etc...
Happy to catch whatever is biting!
Ideas?

Not much happening in fresh water quite yet. Pinks and silvers just showing up in the salt now . I'd suggest Twin Lakes for small kings that they stock annually. There's a small fishing dock and I'd recommend shrimp or eggs on a small hook.

I work right next to the DIPAC hatchery. They are still catching the last of the kings using cured egg clusters. Saw 8 fish on the dock yesterday. A few silvers are showing up, but it's plugged up with Chums right now. If you want to fight fish, you can snag Chums (legal in certain areas) for fun. I see kids catching Dolly Varden with fresh Chum eggs of the dock and the rocks.

I'll check if see where the shore fishing is good for pinks. It's usually very good at the end of the road at Echo Cove. Hike down to the sand spit and looks for jumpers. Pinks will hit just about anything.

PM me for more when you're in town.

Just got back. Man what a trip!
More chum Salmon than I could count, a couple Silvers, Dolly Varden and Cutthroats. No kings but did have something spool me the first day. I think the highlight of the trip was a 30" chum my son caught on 8 lb. spinning gear while trying for Dollies.
I love SE Alaska!

Want to fill us in on the trip? like did you have family/friends to stay with or did you find a lodge? I'm really wanting to go to Alaska and I feel that a trip to go fishing, inland, would be about the cheapest. That would get me by for a few years 'til I can really afford a hunt trip up there. Thanks

Just a family vacation. Spent a few days in Seattle on the way up (crazy town).
Flew into Juneau, stayed at the Baranoff hotel in downtown near all the shops, restaurants. Think my wife went in every one of the shops. Also, Mendenhall glacier, tram ride up to Mt.Roberts, general sight-seeing.

And the fishing! Just stuck a couple 2 piece spinning rods in a rod tube and the reels, small tackle box in my backpack. Caught all the salmon and Dolly's north and south of the hatchery and the cutthroats in a lake north of town, Auke lake?
We were under gunned for the salmon with 8 & 10 lb gear. I would suggest something heavier. Cutthroats were caught on the 8lb spinning and a little 3wt.fly outfit I brought.

No charters, no guides. Just a 55$ license.

The whole family is ready to relocate. Wish I could make it happen!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom