Juneau in June

SureShot

Very Active Member
I may be going on a business trip to Juneau around the 15th of June and would love to sneak in a day of Salmon fishing while I'm there. A few questions:

- Are the Reds running in that area by then? What about Kings?
- Do you know of any good, reasonably-priced guides that offer day trips in the Juneau area (on a stream or river; I don't think I'm interested in going out on the ocean)?
- Are there any places nearby for a do-it-yourselfer with a rental car?

I believe the Kings and dog salmon should be running strong by now. Silvers come later in August as do the pinks. I'm not real sure about reds, I don't think they are as abundant in southeast Ak as they are in southwest and southcentral. The king run is awesome though. The road system is very minimal in Juneau and your luck would probably be slim if you were to rent a car and do-it-yourself. The rivers are not very excessable unless you know the area well. Your best bet would be to go with a charter out of Auke Bay, just north of Juneau a couple of miles. The Ocean proper is aways from the mainland but you would probably troll Auke Bay, the islands in the bay and in Stephens Passage. If you bring your own gear you could do quite well off the docks at the harbor in Auke Bay. I use to fish kings with buzz bombs in chrome and did real well. Good luck..

Jeremiah

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom