Just back for MS got a decent whitetail

NMPaul

This is the 3rd time I have visited my brother in MS and he has taken me hunting. This is a completely different type of hunting to what I am used to.

I read all the time how some people look down their noses at hunting out of stands. It shows how little they know. It is hard to sit in a stand, be alert, glassing, and deal with the cold and hours of watching.

Sitting there for 4-7 hours at a time glassing deep into the woods and sometimes seeing nothing it is hard to stay focused and alert.

Over the 3 trips to MS I have most likely logged over 100 hours in a stand in a quality area to finally get a good buck.

He is not he oldest or the biggest, but, he is a very unique buck. He was still rubbing velvet which is very unusual for that time of the year. In the walk in cooler there was a buck that scored 160+ the largest ever taken off of the property taken the day before.

The river it was on was flooding and that moved some of the deer to some higher ground.

It was on private property, but, there were no high fences and there was plenty of other properties in the area that are not managed as well.

Zach sat with me in the stand, but, never got a shot. He could have taken a smaller buck but we never saw another one. We hunted 3 solid days.

2008MississippiWhitetailbuck030.jpg

2008MississippiWhitetailbuck024.jpg

2008MississippiWhitetailbuck022.jpg

2008MississippiWhitetailbuck019.jpg

2008MississippiWhitetailbuck015.jpg

Paul,
Welcome home. Wow, nice brows, a little junk on both sides, amazing mass at the base, split main on right? I don't think you'll see a WT of that caliber around here. I'm glad Zach was there to share the experience. Congrats & Happy Holidays.--Kevin

Super nice MS whitetail, Paul!! Thanks for explaining that you just don't go sit in a stand, pick out the deer you want, and then harvest it in the southeast. You might be able to do that in TX but you won't in MS, AL, TN, or GA.

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, and NRA

Spencer your right. I would rather glass and stalk, but, that aint working in those jungles.
You need to be able to stay focused for hours. You wont shoot anything if your not in the woods.
I wish i had some good 8x binocs, my 10x were not the best choice. You need to be able to glass way back into the woods.
Sometimes you only see a fleeting glimpse of a deer.
And you cant just pick one area and stare into it. You have to look every direction.
There is a reason the same guy out there shoot the big bucks consistently even though they are hunting the same woods as others.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom