Just Bought my 16th Mule Deer PP

crcountry

What to do, what to do?

I didn't blink an eye when I burned my 12 points in unit 49 for MZ elk a few years ago...and what a fun hunt that was...albeit not a great volume of elk.

I spoke to a Jeff Coldwell from Antler Quest a few years back.

Early season rifle hunt?....Or gamble a late season when they head to private property and hopefully get the weather?

Hey Tex you use the same convicted poacher to find your deer correct??

East plains w a outfitter is the only place your 16 points is worth anything and you will not have to deal w a convicted poacher to find ya a deer….

Good luck ?..

Last edited:
Early high country hunt: very few deer and you have to WORK hard to see those. Bucks by themselves or on small groups. But oh the country you see!

Late season: see lots of deer. Low country. Find the girls and you will see some bucks.

Hey Tex you use the same felon or convicted poacher to find your deer correct??

East plains w a outfitter is the only place your 16 points is worth anything and you will not have to deal w a convicted poacher/felon to find ya a deer….

Good luck ?..
No I did not. I obtained hunting information from Jeff (Deerking) in ‘03 before any of that happened. At that time he was well thought of on here.

What is your point?

Just thought you where one who use his “services” and sounds like you have not even talked to him since then. Good to you.

I knew a kid once when I was 18 - seemed like a good guy worked w him hung out socially. One day he came to work skiddish kinda removed. Next day fbi comes in turns out he killed and buried in the hills a under cover Dea agent. Never knew and have not talked to or returned correspondence since.

Man I would throw up in my mouth a bit if I knew I used a convicted poacher to find me a deer. Sorry for my mistake or I imagine you have to feel just terrible and I would hate to have to think about that mess every time I saw the antlers.

Pry why I find my own deer………

Good luck w your search but 4,12, and 16 points is about the same in Co now and it is not getting better.

I have never felt bad when I look at the deer I got on that hunt. One of my best hunting memories ever. I had a guy draw a circle on a map with several locations that could hold deer. I chose one area after personal scouting the summer before the hunt. My brother am I parked at 6500 ft and backpacked to 10,500 and set up camp for the actual hunt. Sometimes there was a trail of sorts and sometimes we just had to blaze one. No improved trail in that area. We hunted at 11,500 to 12,000 ft 2 miles further up the mountain. I have zero regrets on that hunt.

High country mule deer hunting is always a crap shoot. There are very few deer and most basins hold no deer. Even the ones that do usually hold deer can be empty if you get a snow right before the season, always a possibility, or other hunters or “hikers” blow them out of the area. We had sheep hunters leaving the area as we packed in. Getting a scouting report 2 years before your hunt (which is what I did) is certainly no guarantee there will be a big buck there in the future.

Back to the OPs question, I have done both kinds of hunts and the high country ones always fill my inner soul as well as my hunting soul just because of the country you hunt in and the effort it takes to hunt there. Driving, hiking, and glassing the low country has its appeal too, but I just love timberline country.

Just thought you where one who use his “services” and sounds like you have not even talked to him since then. Good to you.

I knew a kid once when I was 18 - seemed like a good guy worked w him hung out socially. One day he came to work skiddish kinda removed. Next day fbi comes in turns out he killed and buried in the hills a under cover Dea agent. Never knew and have not talked to or returned correspondence since.

Man I would throw up in my mouth a bit if I knew I used a convicted poacher to find me a deer. Sorry for my mistake or I imagine you have to feel just terrible and I would hate to have to think about that mess every time I saw the antlers.

Good luck w your search but 4,12, and 16 points is about the same in Co now and it is not getting better.
You sound like an ignorant prick. He said it was in 2003....and for a lot of non-residents, anybody who can give you boots on the ground info without having boots on the ground is a benefit. Check out this area, these drainages, this creek or hike in on this trail is all some guys need. I don't think Antler Quest being a poacher and overall loser has anything to do with his questions.

Poaching and killing someone are 2 COMPLETELY different things....not sure if you were aware of that.

Just because a dude poached a ton doesn't make him a bad dude, just means his hunting morals and ethics are trash.

Not saying I like the guy, because I don't. But sheesh...... like Wisco said, that answers nothing, and just makes you seem ignorant as he$$.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom