Just curious on W.

mobertok

Just curious if anyone is seeing any deer in region W. I was there last year but kinda wondering if anything survived the winter.
Thanks

I have been in 82 for over 20 days this year, I can count the number of legal bucks I have seen on my fingers with a few left over. I have seen only 1 buck that 4 or older. The other legal bucks were all 2-3 year olds and barely legal. All hunting season I have heard 4 shots and only seen 2 deer in camps. Neither were worth shooting.

No body I have talked with has seen much.

Up until 4 days ago i had seen more bears (7) than I had seen legal bucks. On the one weekend I saw more moose than I did deer total.

So no the place sucks and Kim and the biologist did a huge disservice by only cutting a 100 NR tags.

So no thre is not ****. The most deer seen in a single day were 19. The fewest elk I have seen in a single day has been over 40.

I have been in 82 for over 20 days this year, I can count the number of legal bucks I have seen on my fingers with a few left over. I have seen only 1 buck that 4 or older. The other legal bucks were all 2-3 year olds and barely legal. All hunting season I have heard 4 shots and only seen 2 deer in camps. Neither were worth shooting.

No body I have talked with has seen much.

Up until 4 days ago i had seen more bears (7) than I had seen legal bucks. On the one weekend I saw more moose than I did deer total.

So no the place sucks and Kim and the biologist did a huge disservice by only cutting a 100 NR tags.

So no thre is not ****. The most deer seen in a single day were 19. The fewest elk I have seen in a single day has been over 40.
How many resident tags did they cut? ?

Go to Wyoming mulies Facebook. Elks96 has been very convincing that residents kill only big bucks, and are the new standard in self-regulation. I'm starting to doubt his rhetoric. "Not a big buck, but meat in the freezer"

Go to Wyoming mulies Facebook. Elks96 has been very convincing that residents kill only big bucks, and are the new standard in self-regulation. I'm starting to doubt his rhetoric. "Not a big buck, but meat in the freezer"
Haha. I passed on the only 170” buck I saw. But sure what ever you say. I have not even put a round in the chamber. Both my lope and deer tag are still unfilled.

How many resident tags did they cut? ?
Haha. None because we should not cut a single resident opportunity until we have eliminated NR opportunity. However I did see 5 dink bucks in the back of the NR camps today. They all seemed super proud of the 2 year 3 points they killed.

Resident did their season length cut in half. But again, they lost a huge chunk of the population and made minimal cuts to the NR tags which is the side of the equation the Game and a fish could control.

Haha. None because we should not cut a single resident opportunity until we have eliminated NR opportunity. However I did see 5 dink bucks in the back of the NR camps today. They all seemed super proud of the 2 year 3 points they killed.

Resident did their season length cut in half. But again, they lost a huge chunk of the population and made minimal cuts to the NR tags which is the side of the equation the Game and a fish could control.
Just like I thought. Put all your problems on NR and tell everyone how Nobel you are self regulating.

So you saw 5 dink bucks in the back of NR trucks and you’ll scream it to the world. Yet you also saw 20 dink bucks in the back of resident trucks. But we won’t talk about that. ???

But if I remember correctly, without reading back of course, you assured some guy he was full of poo because residents, I repeat, RESIDENTS, would never do certain things. And now you try to redirect, which in my experience, says you are full of poo.

And for the record, I personally don't care if you shoot a dink or "pass a 170, because it was out of range on private" If the state issues tags, and you draw one, fill it with whatever you and the law allows.

Just like I thought. Put all your problems on NR and tell everyone how Nobel you are self regulating.

So you saw 5 dink bucks in the back of NR trucks and you’ll scream it to the world. Yet you also saw 20 dink bucks in the back of resident trucks. But we won’t talk about that. ???
Actually the only resident I know to fill a tag down there killed a monster. But sure…

I love it because next year I will farunatee they cut the NR tags in the area again.

What I did not find was a resident who only had one day to hunt and who was shooting the first thing they saw…

Again I stand by the idea. The very last group to see their seasons restricted should be resident hunters. We should do all the possible cuts we can to Nonresidents first.

look at all my post I never once said it was anyone’s fault. Show me one place where I blamed NR. In my experience NR are more desperate to fill tags. With points and only hunting every few years they are more desperate to kill. It is not a big deal for residents because we all know we have a tag again next year. And if we really need we can spend 2 months hunting and moving all over the state. All things that greatly decrease pressure to just fill tags.

Oh and we also have general elk tags that give us months to fill the freezer.

So I stand by my observations.

Either way. Residents should be the last group to cub opportunity.

A lot of nonresident hunters are out there for the 1st time. Not "desperate ". Just not as experienced.

W buck shot a few days ago.

IMG_2644.png

What pictures are those? Last years buck only went 163… my 12 year olds buck went 158. But yeah you got me never killed anything decent…

You can see the pics shared by anyone under thier handle: if you really want to know there are a few in my pics that go over 170….
I saw a couple mounts that looked over 170 but didn’t know the story or anything. Didn’t see any kill pics over 170. Anyway, just curious since you’re passing 170’s and all the terrible NR’s are slaughtering forkies.

Have you killed a 170? Not attacking, genuinely curious just based on the pictures you've posted the past few years.
I saw a couple mounts that looked over 170 but didn’t know the story or anything. Didn’t see any kill pics over 170. Anyway, just curious since you’re passing 170’s and all the terrible NR’s are slaughtering forkies.
Apparently now you're attacking.

No just tired of the tone against NR’s everywhere. I’ve been guilty of it myself too. Just irks me.

No just tired of the tone against NR’s everywhere. I’ve been guilty of it myself too. Just irks me.
Funny it turned to
An attack. There are 3 on my wall over 170. 193, 184 and 178.

Also I am sorry you feel like I attack NR. I don’t, I simply say that no resident in any state should see their opportunity cut when there is still NR opportunity. The animals are there for the people of the state first. As such, the last people to see season shortened, tags cut, should be residents. What you see as an attack on NR is simply just standing up for residents first!!!

Thanks, man. When you argue that nonresidents are more likely to kill small bucks, because the need to take something home from their investment, it gets personal. I can argue the exact opposite personally. If I put in for what is technically becoming a once in a lifetime hunt, I'm wanting something special to go with it. Whatever that is, doesn't need to be judged by anyone. My 1st wilderness solo hunt as a much younger man (also my 1st nonresident experience) ended with a tiny 2x3. Shot way back in the hills. I remember the way it rained or snowed almost constantly for 8 days. The crazy borrowed horse that about killed me. The clothes from goodwill. Extremely cheap pack. Freezing at night with all my clothes on because my bag was cheap, and also wet. And the thing that refreshes those memories is that tiny 2x3 skull in the garage. (Would sure help if it was a giant on the wall in the den)

It’s just crazy to me that so many people nonres/res feel they have to kill a buck no matter what!! Nothing against people harvesting bucks but I feel if you have killed your first buck, biggest buck ect there really is no reason to kill just to kill another especially when the herds are in the shape they are in. But with that being said when I was working in sept I seen a truck coming out of unit 131 and they had a young smaller 4 point in the bed , maybe first archery harvest ? Don’t know but that herd condition is terrible, so I think we as hunters should consider all our options to kill or not to kill. Elk are better eating at least IMO and there are plenty if you want to just fill the freezer.

I’m a Muley guy myself, bought a tag for wife sent it to let a deer walk, bought me a tag spent 1/2 a day looking for a buck, still got the tag unused. Don’t bother me one bit and the freezer is packed full already with elk between me and the kid. It all depends on the individuals , I personally know several nonres that have ate their tags in the last couple years. Even a few from Utah lol kudos to them. Sad part is there will always be the ones that have to kill, but it is America so we should be able to choose what action we take as long as it’s legal. Pretty proud of my son this year he hunted hard found a buck worthy of harvesting, blew it on a missed shot, then sent me videos of young bucks laying in there beds chewing away, let them walk even one that had some extras. And I know before that would have sent him over the edge and he would have sent one. Now we both have are tags and we plan to head east here in a few weeks to try and put some whitetail in the freezer!!! Now let’s prey winter don’t suck again !! Good luck to all the rest of the season !!

Here is one of those residents that just had to fill a tag. Saw it on the book face

View attachment 123201
Could be a trophy to that person? It would have been to me when I was a new hunter 35 years ago.

I get both sides of the res/nonres argument. I do see and hear more nonres "settle" for smaller deer on the last day or two so they don't go home empty handed but I know some residents that will shoot the first fork horn they see. As long as it is legal, up to them.

Even though I'm a nonres now, I do agree states should protect resident tags first. I can't imagine not being able to hunt in my home state while nonres were able to be hunting.

Funny it turned to
An attack. There are 3 on my wall over 170. 193, 184 and 178.

Also I am sorry you feel like I attack NR. I don’t, I simply say that no resident in any state should see their opportunity cut when there is still NR opportunity. The animals are there for the people of the state first. As such, the last people to see season shortened, tags cut, should be residents. What you see as an attack on NR is simply just standing up for residents first!!!
You need some thicker skin if you think I attacked you. I asked a question and made an observation. Did you get a picture of the 170 you passed?

You need some thicker skin if you think I attacked you. I asked a question and made an observation. Did you get a picture of the 170 you passed?
Haha. Why are you so obsessed with my claim about a 170 deer in W. I am somewhat flattered but a little disturbed by your infatuation with me.

Just FYI. This was the buck when we found him in velvet. Originally thought he was bigger, has a great frame but not so on forks.. when we turned him up he just was not as well forked. We know he and 2 other bucks all made it through the season. Maybe next year her will get me excited… He had a great frame but so-so tines. I got a good look at him had him and another decent buck at 100-150 yards for 30 minutes and just did not feel it this year. But since you insist… here you go… maybe this will be adequate?

Had I got the shot archery I would have taken him…

IMG_7866.png

Haha. Why are you so obsessed with my claim about a 170 deer in W. I am somewhat flattered but a little disturbed by your infatuation with me.

Just FYI. This was the buck when we found him in velvet. Originally thought he was bigger, has a great frame but not so on forks.. when we turned him up he just was not as well forked. We know he and 2 other bucks all made it through the season. Maybe next year her will get me excited… He had a great frame but so-so tines. I got a good look at him had him and another decent buck at 100-150 yards for 30 minutes and just did not feel it this year. But since you insist… here you go… maybe this will be adequate?

View attachment 123372
Nice looking buck. Is he a 3x4? I hear all kinds of people that "pass" 170's and 180's and it's fun to see what they really look like.

Not obsessed with you, all I know is you live in Wyoming and dislike NR's.

Nice looking buck. Is he a 3x4? I hear all kinds of people that "pass" 170's and 180's and it's fun to see what they really look like.

Not obsessed with you, all I know is you live in Wyoming and dislike NR's.
No he made 4x4 but his left side fork was only like 3” hence why you can’t see it in the photo in the spotter… he and 2 other decent bucks are still out there…

View attachment 123372
That's a great photo. Did you take it with a bag phone or what? ?

That's a great photo. Did you take it with a bag phone or what? ?
I don’t have a phone scope, I was on a spotter with heat waves and just holding my camera. Then I never post an original, I only post a screen shot that I also zoom way in so there is nothing to identify the area.

I don’t have a phone scope, I was on a spotter with heat waves and just holding my camera. Then I never post an original, I only post a screen shot that I also zoom way in so there is nothing to identify the area.
Mission accomplished. No one will find that 160" buck.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom