Just curious what he scores.

maxpower

First, apologies for the crappy picture quality. It's all I had access to.

My brother and I have a friend who shot this bull years ago. My bro is adamant he scores in the 335" range. I'm not great at scoring elk, but I'd say he's much closer to 310-315". How far off are we?

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 10.31.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 10.32.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 10.32.35 PM.png

I think you’re a lot closer. That being said, that’s the kind of bull that 90% of guys would call a 330 class bull. When you actually get the tape on em though they’re never as big as you think, especially smaller framed bulls like that. I’d say he’s 310-315. Big framed, wide, heavy bulls will surprise you in a good way, lighter compact framed bulls will surprise you in the other direction. It usually takes old bulls to be the former, and younger bulls will be the latter.

It’s really not hard to learn to score an elk. Google a B&C score chart and wager lunch with your brother. I’d guess that bull will fall between your two guesses but closer to yours.

I think most of the guesses are a little low, and I would guess about 320-325. You might get to 335 if you are talking gross score.

Since he is hanging on the wall, why not just grab a tape and find out?

Bill

I think most of the guesses are a little low, and I would guess about 320-325. You might get to 335 if you are talking gross score.

Since he is hanging on the wall, why not just grab a tape and find out?

Bill
I definitely want to. I'm hoping to make it my buddy's house sometime in December, if so we'll definitely put a tape on him.

He’s going to score somewhere in between your guess and your brothers. He’s a little high, and your range is a little low, IMO.

I bet he grosses closer to 330 than 310 though.

I would guess him around 320.

At first I was thinking 310 - 315 until I zoomed in on the side view on the horse.

When you are talking 315 vs 335 there really isn't that much difference between the two. Most people would have to measure to tell the difference. 335 wouldn't surprise me, either would 310. My guess is that it measures at least 320, but I agree with you and others that the frame is more similar to a 300 inch bull than a 330+ bull.

Looking at the third and fourth points on the right beam of the third picture, it's almost kind of hard to believe that's the same bull as pics 1 and 2. Camera angles can do funny things.
I think if you didn't post pic 3 most people would guess higher.

My guess would be right around 310 give or take 5 inches. Check out this article. I feel like it gets you pretty dang close using the 200" rule and adding up the points.

Last edited:
"To help you judge main beams, point length, and spread, here are some average anatomic reference measurements for mature bulls."

-Antler Pedical (Burr) to nose= 17”-18”

-Eye to nose= 13”

-Top of back to shoulder “V spot”= 20”

-Top of back to belly= 25”-28”

-Body girth through the shoulders (front view) = 18”

-Main beam average length to G4= 28”-30”

-Tip to tip ear spread (front view) = 26”

So we were both wrong - but I was less wrong. According to my buddy who shot the bull, he scores 319 and 5/8. I asked if it was an official scorer, he answered no but that it was someone who'd scored a lot of bulls and knew there stuff.
Most of you guys were pretty dang close. Thanks!

I shot a very similar bull to the subject bull of this thread last year. People kept commenting it might be a 300" inch bull. It measured over 330". Tine length is critical to score. Mass barely matters, and spread also isn't a big deal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom