Justice only matter is there is an (R) after your name

NeMont

Long Time Member
I know the Democrats are pure as the driven snow and per Piper Republicans are responsible for every evil that has ever happenedn in the world but I am curious how the resident apologist square Speaker Pelosi's actions with their rhetoric?

The democrats are still making hay with GWB invoking executive privilege but now move to protect their own. Pot meet Kettle.

Laws apply to lawmakers, too
By | Sunday, May 3, 2009

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is working to buffer lawmakers from federal investigators. This is a bad idea. Special legal protections for politicians encourage unethical conduct.

Irvin B. Nathan, general counsel of the House of Representatives, sent a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Monday about establishing a protocol on how to handle "hopefully rare searches and electronic surveillance involving members of Congress." Mr. Nathan previously failed to negotiate such an agreement with the George W. Bush administration when Republicans controlled the House. His return to this effort isn't surprising given the number of congressional Democrats facing accusations of ethical misconduct.

Democrats facing scrutiny include the chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, John P. Murtha of Pennsylvania, for his close ties to the defense lobby firm PMA Group, which is under federal investigation; House Ways and Means Chairman Charles B. Rangel of New York about a number of tax issues; Rep. Jesse L. Jackson Jr. of Illinois over his reported effort to persuade ousted Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich to appoint him to fill President Obama's former Senate seat; and Rep. Jane Harman of California, who reportedly was taped in 2005 by the National Security Agency purportedly agreeing to help seek leniency for two accused Israeli spies in exchange for help in lobbying her appointment to chair the House Intelligence Committee.

Mrs. Pelosi, California Democrat, on Thursday invoked the separation of powers as justification for the move. Mrs. Pelosi, who has acknowledged being aware previously of Mrs. Harman's controversial dialogue, claims the stance is a matter of principle. "Whether it's invading an office or wiretapping a conversation, it's important for us to have the separation of powers and the respect for individual liberties, again, while not harboring information that would be useful under the speech [or] debate clause," she said.

The speech or debate clause of the U.S. Constitution states that "for any Speech or Debate in either House, [lawmakers] shall not be questioned in any other Place." The Supreme Court limited the scope of the provisions in 1972's United States v. Brewster to actions that are an integral part of "the due functioning of the legislative process." When there is controversy over how to implement this principle, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia endorses having the legislative and executive branches hash out their differences.

In 2007, the Court of Appeals found that searching then-Rep. William J. Jefferson's office was not inherently unconstitutional but that FBI agents had crossed the line by viewing every record in the Louisiana Democrat's office. The court stated that "the core activity protected by the Clause - speech in either chamber of the Congress - is a public act. In essence, therefore, what the Clause promotes is the Member's ability to be open in debate - free from interference or restriction - rather than any secrecy right."

There is a long history of self-serving efforts to protect congressional privilege in the face of ethical scandals despite the clear limits set by the courts. The speaker's spokesman told us that negotiations with the Department of Justice are simply intended to clarify what is appropriate in terms of notifying members about searches and tapped conversations. "Members can't expect sanctuary in their offices," he added. We agree, but Mrs. Pelosi's effort makes it appear as if that is exactly what she is seeking. No deal should give lawmakers leniency from federal officers investigating corruption on Capitol Hill.

They were unable to get their "get out of jail" card from the Bush Admin. Now we will see if they prevail under a Democrat controlled congress whose lead persons want it.
I am waiting in gleeful pleasure to see what spin our fellow forum libs will put on this.

RELH

It might go some thing like this. Had Bush not did this and that and blah blah blah this wouldn't have happened.

Ransom

Nemont;

Do you find it stange that our in house libs have avoided this post like it is the plague. Or is it because they can not find a spin that justifies the actions of Pelosi and her dem political buddies that want protection from the ever seeing investigative eye of the justice dept.

RELH

The silence on this one is very loud. Moreover, it illustrates the talking point with a select few has never been to point out weakness or flaw, but rather to point out weakness or flaw from one side of the aisle. On the other side of the coin, Piper has never been smart enough to drum up his own spin, he has to follow the lead of someone else.

Maybe they are all listening to reruns of AirAmerica?

Peace out libs.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

Might it be because they're politians? sometimes I think you guys believed Obama when he said change, com'on now. it was never a matter of if the dems were good , it was a matter of are they better than the republicans.

Now if Obama starts a war somewhere for nothing, cuts Bin Laden some slack, doubles the debt and Biden blast someone in the face with a 20ga things ought to be about even.

well we flushed one lib out and his spin was to avoid the intire issue with typical dude retoric. Dude if you buy Pelosi's attempt for corruption coverup, just crawl back under that rock and accept the fact you are part of the problem and not a solution for better goverment.

Be sure to take your bottle or two of Royal Crown, it might be a long hibernation.

RELH

Um, I didn't elect Pelosi, you did.

My Crown doesn't seem to leave a lasting effect like your crack does, so drink up.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]

HD,

The issue isn't whether or not Cheney shot somebody with a shotgun. That is about as important as Biden and Obama ordering burgers even though both incidents have gotten about equal air time.

When the Republicans did these things guys like Piper, Zigga and even yourself branded them the party of the anti Christ and axis of evil in this country. Yet with the winds of change sweeping through Washington and Obama coming to town like Christ coming to clean the Temple we were told, by Piper and Zigga et al, that that finally a "good" man was in office and our country was saved from the evil politicians on the right.

As for doubling the debt, President Obama has more then accomplished that as he has doubled GWB doubled debt in the first budget he presented to congress.

It isn't that I believe in the change that Obama is selling it is that the liberals bought into it lock, stock and barrel. None of the Bush Hater have been able to explain why this is perfectly fine as long as it protects Democrats but evil policy if it were to protect Republicans.

Nemont

While I'm opposed to the debt Obama is racking up it's not fair at all to compare his spending to Bush's under the circumstances when he took office.

He was faced with what Buffett called an economic Pearl Harbor, was it his actions that appears to have stooped it? I can't say but I will say things could have been much worse.

He took over a high dollar long term expense in Iraq, and he is now forced to up the spending in the REAL war on terrorism in Afghanistan and I fear a BIG mess in Pakistan soon to prevent REAL nukes from falling into the wrong hands.

Under the conditions when he took office if his plan works, and we don't know yet if it will I say he's done well. Bush had a few bumps in the road with the economy and doubled the debt, Obama takes over in a meltdown and is forced to fight a growing battle on terrorism, it's apples and Tuesday to compare.

> He was faced with what
>Buffett called an economic Pearl
>Harbor, was it his actions
>that appears to have stooped
>it? I can't say but
>I will say things could
>have been much worse.

How ironic you make referrence to Pearl Harbor, Pearl Harbor was set up and planned well in advance to Dec 7 1941, just as the current economic climate was planned well in advance as well. Obama is just the puppet gladly doing the bidding of his masters. All this does is give the feds the excuse to increase in power and have more control over the masses. The term retirement will soon be obsolete as it will only be achieved by a select few, the rest will work right up until death.

I also love how HD makes every excuse under the sun for the Messiah and the likes of Pelosi, but accepts no excuses for the same behavior from Republicans. The spin master he is.

PRO

www.oddiction.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom