Kaibab archery question.

B

bandin1

Kaibab archery question.

What method do you guys think gets the most deer up in the kaibab? Tree stands? Ground blinds? or spot and stalk? I bought a 13 foot packable ladder stand that I want to try this year. I have been up there 3 times and always try to spot and stalk but no luck, I seem to scare them off more then sneaking up on them so Im going to try the tree stand over water or a trail heading to water. Good luck to all counting down the days till opening day!

RE: Kaibab archery question.

I think it varies year to year, Water is good one year when it is dry and others when there is water everywhere a Spot and Stalk work better. I have to think that the most successful hunters are able to adapt and use a combination on all of the mentioned ways. I will be up there this year as well I think we will start on sitting some well used trails that go between beds and water. With the moon not being a factor this year ( New Moon on Aug20th ) we really excited about catching a big buck moving back and forth during shooting light.

Good Luck

John

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 04:13PM (MST)[p]Not that i agree with it, but i would imagine the method that gets the most deer off the kaibab is road hunting. Even on the archery hunt.

When that place was open archery it was crazy the amount of road hunters. Heck they even sit on lawn chairs in the back of their trucks

I would have to agree, saw more deer last year driving in the rhino, a friend got out stepped off the road and made a 62 yard shot a harvested a 180 buck.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09
>AT 04:13?PM (MST)

>
>Not that i agree with it,
>but i would imagine the
>method that gets the most
>deer off the kaibab is
>road hunting. Even on the
>archery hunt.
>
>When that place was open archery
>it was crazy the amount
>of road hunters. Heck they
>even sit on lawn chairs
>in the back of their
>trucks

NSHuntin is right, you do see a lot of deer from the road, but you would be suprised by how many deer you see if you get just out of sight of the road. KNF is a very public forest with a lot of folks pounding the roads just camping or sight seeing, so the deer are accustomed to seeing people and vehicles. There are also a lot of roads, but you don't have to venture off into the deepest darkest part of the forest to find tons of deer, just stay out of sight of the road and you will do well.

I hunted it all different ways, but the way I've had my best luck is to move a little a look a lot, ridge by ridge, finger by finger. Just my experience...

JB

For the better bucks.....still hunting / spot-n-stalk work the best, IMO.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks for the post guys. I cant wait to go, my tag came in the mail today. I have a guys vegas trip next weekend but im more excited about my hunting trip still waiting for my first archery deer after 6 yrs of trying..

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom