Kaibab Scouting Trip

rockymtnhunter

Went scouting/camping last week for a few days I know expectations are high for the hunts this fall. Here's my report...

Weather was hot (82 degrees) and dry, but abundant moisture from winter & spring has everything still green and lush - aspen looks exceptionally healthy this year. Lupine is growing everywhere, ponds and guzzlers all have water. Roads are in good shape - $6/gal at Jacob Lake, but a dollar cheaper at Demotte Park store.

Saw lots of does w/fawns - all looked healthy. Plenty of bucks of all sizes, antler growth appears above average and bucks are looking healthy (see attached photo). Saw a couple of bucks that will definitely be shooters, given their growth so far (see photo attached, taken with my cell phone, zoom in on buck on right).

USFS is doing a lot of managed/prescribed burns south of Jacob Lake, may move deer out of those areas for a while. No monsoon while I was there, but hopefully monsoons will come soon. In fact, looks like it rained yesterday on parts of Kaibab w/more to come.

Everything looks good for this year's hunts. I'll go back in mid-August for another look.

Resized_20230715_060402.jpeg

Resized_20230713_194633.jpeg

Great report. I saw on another thread you may be up there around August 11th. I did get your pm a couple weeks back and was going to reach out to you. I'm planning on a trip up there August 11-13th.

How is the area that burned around jacob lake lodge 2-3 years ago looking? I am hoping to check it out in 10 days or so. Thanks for the update.

The 2020 Mangum Fire burn area is still black standing timber, lots of oak & locust sprouting - is not turning into aspen thicket like the 2006 Warm Fire burn area. Looks like plenty of weeds, probably deer in the Mangum burn, but don't expect it to be a deer magnet like the Warm burn, at least not yet. Warm Fire was an extremely severe fire that blew down most burned trees, thus setting stage for prolific aspen sprouting, creating a deer smorgasbord.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom