Kaibab Youth Antlerless Hunt

S

swarren58

My 12 year old son got drawn for the 12AW Youth Anterless hunt! He's hoping to tag his first deer and I'm just looking for any advice on the area if anyone is willing to help me out. I hunted the East side one time, so I am generally familiar with the area, but beyond that I don't even know where to start. Any help at all would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

Get yourself a map of the area and look at roads FS22 and FS427 these roads run N-S..Depending on weather and or which season you're hunting you should have no problem finding the deer here.The lower country (road 427) is winter range sage and PJ country, there are burn areas here where you can glass several directions and cover a lot of ground with your eyes..If its cold and if there is any snow up higher this is where I'd start..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Congrats to your son! It's a super easy hunt no matter how you look at it, which is great for the kids! Deer are everywhere! I took a friends kid up there a few years back and dropped off the top and glassed the lower country and put stalks on a ton of does! We both had an incredible time! A lot of people just drive roads and shoot a deer fast. Does are still plentiful on the kiabab. Good luck to your son!

I just call em as I see em!

Thanks for the info! I really do appreciate any help I can get. Can't wait for the hunt to get here! Just don't know who's more excited, my son or me!

It's just the west side. I've hunted the east side before, I just don't know much about the west side.

I will be in the unit in about two weeks (labor day or the weekend after). I can look around for you if that will help?

That would be awesome! I appreciate any help I can get. Just looking for general starting areas. Thanks again!

Check-out the Youth forum here. You should not have any problem finding deer on this hunt. Travel south from Jacob lake and take any dirt road that goes West! ;-)

Seriously though, have a great time! All three of my kids killed their first deer on that Kiabab doe hunt. It's a beautiful thing...... :)

S.

:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom