Kalamath Basin Story

T

TFinalshot

Anyone read the story printed in the 2008 National Geographic?

How about those of you who have a dog in that fight? Was the story good, bad, balanced, unbalanced, fair, unfair?

I'd like to hear some the opinions from those that live there and have read the story. . .

December 2008 National Geographic. . .

Tony

I have several good friends farming there, and since I'm on the board of directors on a irrigation district a few hundred miles north it comes up often.

I didn't read the story but I know it, it was and is a disaster that many lessons were learned from. some farmers got rich from it, some went broke, the sucker fish that were used for an excuse are still there, and not much of anyone cares.

As you might expect I'm on the farmers side of this mess, but in the end the tax payer is the real looser. our district is now faced with steelhead reintroduction and the Klamath debacle comes up all the time, nobody including the feds ever want anything like this to happen again and I doubt it will.

get a copy of the magazine, read the article and tell me what your take is on it. . . I know you understand the issues, I'd like to know if the article is balanced and fair, or lopsided. . . I dont live there so i cant really tell if it's good reporting or just good photos (i could have done better)! LOL

I have read it and it seemed to have delved into the big ongoing issue of water and the drying trend, I don't live around there either, and have an admitted bias towards the sportsmen, so I don't really know

I live an hour from Klamath, I'd like to read the story but can't seem to find it, you have a link?

"Traditionally, Karuk Tribe members each ate more than a pound of salmon a day, an intake that has dwindled in recent decades to under five pounds a year, with a commensurate surge in diabetes and heart disease".

Wow big surprise they are on the great American diet.

The write up is very much slanted towards the first nation people and their priorities (traditions) if you ask me, farming has an impact on the river just as cattle grazing a has an impact on wild elk and deer herds.

Everyone wants to be heard, the Indians the farmers and the commercial fisheries, but again in my opinion all parties have done irreparable damage.

I know the Indians have been caught many times selling the salmon and not using it for consumption, farmers and their pesticides, commercial fishing ect:

To be continued I gotta honey do to perform?..

I grew up in much of what areas are being disused, if my memory serves me right the problem only started about 15 years ago, with the salmon population dropping, so I wouldn't think it's got to do with the dams.

PP&L has already started removing dams here in Oregon so lets cross our fingers an see, but I think what remains the biggest enemy of the fishery is warm water and whats really causing it?...........

This is a classic case of you can't have it all. we ( not me ) think we can have unlimited population but we don't like the side effects, people need food, agriculture requires water so something is bound to change.

The farmers in the Klamath basin have water rights going back to the 1800's, if there was a problem something should have been done before a community was build over the last 100 years dependent on ag. I'm a half breed so I can feel for the natives, but things change and they have to adjust to these changes, they can get their fish at Skipper's like I do some years, they aren't going to starve without it.

The real story behind the Klamath fight is the ESA, when the fish freaks decided the suckers needed more water in the lakes for them to survive that reduced stream flows , then the indians down stream threw a fit so the farmers were the least powerful therefore most expendable. most years with proper managment there can be enough water to keep everyone from killing each other, but tensions run high.

In my opinion everyone has to give a little, the suckers may have to live in a smaller swamp, the indians might not always have great fishing and the farmers will have years they fallow some ground. for anyone to be happy means someone is getting screwed, this is the unfortunate truth of the matter and I'm glad I have no part of it.

That about sums it up.

Then you have a few purist sport fishermen who say to heck with the farmers and the Indians and just want the Klamath as their play ground.

Funny my old lady is Karuk and she will not eat fish but come to think of it she dont like deer meat and cant start a fire to save her life . lol

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom