Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter

gahunter

Has anyone used this water filter? Iwas looking into purchasing one. I like the fact that you can hook this up to your hydration bladder, without removing the bladder from your pack. Thanks in advance for any advise, or comments.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

i have one and my hunting buddy has one. we both agree that it was stupid not to get one of these a long time ago.... we use them alot. more so then you think you would. happy with mine

I use one too. But I'm going to switch. MSR has a new filter out that weighs less and is ceramic so it can be cleaned in the field. I've never had a paper cartrige filter plug up on me, but I've heard it happens.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-08 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]I have the Hiker model that I upgraded to the Pro filter. I have pumped around 60 or so gallons of water in the field with no problems and quite a few gallons at the house here either cleaning, back flushing, or seeing how it takes the taste out of "city" water. The thing it has going for it over the newer inline setups is that there is carbon in it and it takes a LOT, IMHO, of taste out of ground water. I have used it in OH, WV, VA, MI, KY, NC, and WY and the water all tastes better than bottled to me! I really am not a fan of bottled water but it is something to compare with, I guess. It is heavier than the new inlines and gets heavier after you use it and it holds water but I am keeping it due to the carbon in the filter. Aqua Mira is quicker and lighter but does not take pesticides out of water or kill intestinal worm eggs! I can fill my hydration badder IN the pack without much trouble at all with the little link I made for doing it. IF you get one put a few coffee filters and rubber bands in the pack with it so you can prefilter water that is cloudy and save your element and the trouble of it getting clogged up from silt, etc. It only takes a minute to put it over the intake filter on the "dirty" water hose before pumping.
BTW check how ofter the inlines need to be backflushed when filtering with them. Something like ever 2 gallons!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-08 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys for the advice. I just purchased one of these this morning.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom