Keep Extra Fuel In Truck??

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Hey all,

How do you carry around extra fuel in your truck?

I always have a 5 gallon plastic jug in my truck bed for emergencies, generators, etc.; but I'm tired of my whole truck bed smelling like gas...it doesn't leak, but expands/contracts and I just hate smelling up everything that I have back there...let alone try to sleep back there on a hunting trip...only to have everything smelly.

I thought of a couple old jerry cans mounted on the outside of my tailgate, but open to any of you creative guys with time on your hands!

Thanks for any tips!!

That's a Tough one since the Government Out-Lawed Fuel Cans With Vents on them!

Now These CHEEP-ASS MADE IN CHINA Plastic Cans Just Break & Spills on the Ground!

Anybody Know what's Best?

Venting in to the Atmosphere?

Or Dumping it on the Ground?

My Son Has Been Using these for a Couple Years now!

2 Man Can is what I Call them!:D

15 Gallons!

Best Strap them in/down so You Don't get the Side of Your Pick-Up Box Dented!:D

flo fast.jpg

Thanks elkassassin...I read that thread from back a few years ago, and know this is a sore spot for you! Haha.

I guess I maybe don't want a vent, or at least be able to seal it. So far the 5 gal jug I have doesn't spill or leak, but I suppose vents out into my truck bed. With the tonneau cover on, everything stinks!!
May just have to rig something up for outside of the bed.

A Modern Day PLASTIC GAS CAN MORE THAN LIKELY MADE IN CHINA without a Vent Won't Last No Time at all until it splits the JUNK Built Can and You Throwed that Money out the Window!

Polluted Mother Earth!

And Your Truck Really Stinks now!

They're Spendy!

But I'd Check the 15 Gallon Cans Out!

They Also make them in a 5-6 Gallon Version!

That last one isn't legal for fuel...they are sold as liquid containers.....I use them for gas. Has anyone ever been questioned or cited for an illegal gas can??.....I never have and don't know anyone that has.....and...I sleep like a baby smelling gas fumes...

That last one isn't legal for fuel...they are sold as liquid containers.....I use them for gas. Has anyone ever been questioned or cited for an illegal gas can??.....I never have and don't know anyone that has.....and...I sleep like a baby smelling gas fumes...
Yeah, i think you would really have to tick off the officer for him to cite you for an illegal gas can.

I have a 63 gal aux tank in my bed that gravity feeds to my 36 gal factory tank. I have to pee long before I run out of fuel.
Yeah, i remember years back asking a buddy about a big aux tank and said they were illegal if directly fed to your oem tank (at least in AZ). But again, you'd probably have to really tick off the cop to have him bug you on an aux tank.

Yeah, i remember years back asking a buddy about a big aux tank and said they were illegal if directly fed to your oem tank (at least in AZ). But again, you'd probably have to really tick off the cop to have him bug you on an aux tank.
If I understand/remember DOT regs, it is ok to have a gravity feed diesel setup, but illegal for a gasoline setup of the same kind.

I know some airplane pilots carry some type of fuel bladder when they fly the back country for emergency. Whatever they are, I imagine they're pretty high quality. I did a quick search and got this example. Search 'aircraft fuel bladder.' Lots of options.

Easy answers is slip tank. They make fancy tool boxes with a smaller slip tank mounted on it. And to make things cheaper instead of a fancy electric pump just do a hand pump if you plan to transfer small amounts.

Easy answers is slip tank. They make fancy tool boxes with a smaller slip tank mounted on it. And to make things cheaper instead of a fancy electric pump just do a hand pump if you plan to transfer small amounts.
That won’t work under his Tonneau cover?
I’m kinda in the same boat on this

If I understand/remember DOT regs, it is ok to have a gravity feed diesel setup, but illegal for a gasoline setup of the same kind.
The reason you can have a gravity feed diesel tank system and not a gasoline is because of venting you have to vent out of the upper tank and if you get a air lock in the venting from the bottom tank then the bottom tank don't vent and now you have created a potential bomb.
Gasoline fumes extremely explosive diesel fumes not explosive.
At least that what a farmer explained to me.

If That Bladder was Mine it'd Have a Valve that's Threaded on both ends where I Could Plug/Cap it!

One Slip with that Ball Valve Not Capped & You Know What's Next!

I know some airplane pilots carry some type of fuel bladder when they fly the back country for emergency. Whatever they are, I imagine they're pretty high quality. I did a quick search and got this example. Search 'aircraft fuel bladder.' Lots of options.

Hint for Diablo's Can:

Do Not Leave any of this NEW/JUNK Fuel Sitting in the Metal can very Long!

This New Gasoline is JUNK & Eats Stuff like Metal up in a Hurry!

I‘ve been using the plastic racing fuel cans for over 20 years in CA never had an issue. Had good luck with mine never had any leak much...

Horniac

Maybe you need a replacement Titian fuel tank for your truck if fuel is that big of a issue. I use the VP gas cans all of the time. The only issue I have had is at Lake Powell at the gas dock. They wouldn’t let me fill them up.

I put an extra gas can that doesn't leak plus a large water jug inside a plastic tub in the back of my truck. The tub is nice to keep them from tipping over plus if there happens to be a leak.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm gonna look around and see what I can find. There are alot of those VP gas jugs around here in PHX, so I'll check them out.
If I get time this summer, may look into making a rack with some of the extra metal I have laying around.

Appreciate the ideas!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom