Kentucky in HF.........really?

Zim

Very Active Member
Has everyone gone drunk on Utah's "snowball chance in hell draw odds for every species due to auctioning them all off" philosophy? Why on god's green earth would anyone waste the time alone to apply for a Kentucky elk tag with 1 in 561 draw odds? Those are bighorn sheep odds for a tag which you could get the equivalent of every year in CO or NM. Go figure. My state borders Kentucky and I don't even consider wasting my time applying there for those odds!

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

IMHO these eastern states like Kentucky that now have some limited elk herds and hunting are serving a niche for the guys who want a chance at taking an elk in their lifetime, but will never go to the western states to achieve it and just buy these tickets similar to the lottery ones they purchase with the slimest of chances that they'll draw. It's that "somebody has to win" philosophy at work.

Zim,
And this has anything to do with Utah? It's the current nature of hunting worldwide! Didnt start in Utah and it won't end in Utah.

It's nice to feel like a crusader tho....right?

I've been applying for elk in Kentucky for several years...long odds, but I really enjoy hunting different areas of the country.

There is nothing else there that I would want to hunt, so I apply for elk. I also dont mind supporting their GF program, its pretty remarkable that they now have over 10K elk there and offer elk hunting. Its also impressive that the landowners there are very tolerant of elk, considering how much private there is in Kentucky.

I think it would be a neat experience to hunt elk in Kentucky.

Im with Buzz. Like trying new things and hunting new areas. It be a cool expirience to be able to hunt elk east of the Mississippi.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-14 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]I just like going up into country within an hours drive of my northern cabin to see them and have no yearning at all to hunt them here in MI. I can certainly see why you guys from out in Wyoming would feel that way though. If any of you are in the MI draw and get a tag some day, just let me know and you'll have a place to stay and "on the ground" help in the hunt.

>Zim,
>And this has anything to do
>with Utah? It's the current
>nature of hunting worldwide!
>Didnt start in Utah and
>it won't end in Utah.

Wrong. It ended in Arizona.

>I've been applying for elk in
>Kentucky for several years...long odds,
>but I really enjoy hunting
>different areas of the country.
>
>
>There is nothing else there that
>I would want to hunt,
>so I apply for elk.
>I also dont mind supporting
>their GF program, its pretty
>remarkable that they now have
>over 10K elk there and
>offer elk hunting. Its also
>impressive that the landowners there
>are very tolerant of elk,
>considering how much private there
>is in Kentucky.
>
>I think it would be a
>neat experience to hunt elk
>in Kentucky.

I am also very glad to see Kentucky establish elk, and have an elk season. My post was about HF featuring it. Those are bighorn sheep odds for a tag quality anyone could have every year. And they offer a minuscule amount of tags. I just don't see 99% of HF members I culling this in their portfolio.

I hunt all over so Kentucky is somewhere I appecate being alerted that a hunt draw is open to non-residents. Long odds? What is not long odds where have low hunter numbers with high harvest odds and a chance at better than average bull elk?

It's a pay to play thing... Plain and simple. You won't get a tag if you don't put in, so, they are just hoping to win the lottery...

Not everyone can travel to CO to hunt...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-14 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]>I hunt all over so Kentucky
>is somewhere I appecate being
>alerted that a hunt draw
>is open to non-residents. Long
>odds? What is not long
>odds where have low hunter
>numbers with high harvest odds
>and a chance at better
>than average bull elk?

With all due respect, step back and look again. From everything I have read, this is by no means a slammer hunt. The prize for beating 1 in 561 or 1 in 627 draw odds is you get to pay $700 to hunt the typical 3 to 5 year old bulls. There have only been 2 bulls taken over 350" (barely over) in the last 4 years in the entire state. A couple years ago I took a 330" bull in a New Mexico unit which had 100% guided pool odds in 2011, on a $555 tag. I saw only one other hunter my entire hunt. 0.159% vs. 100.00% odds. Are you really winning even if you beat those insane bighorn sheep draw odds?

I enjoy travel. You can hunt 10 years in NM if you are seeking to maximize $/inch of bone. I will hunt lots of States and maybe hike the Kentucky hills chasing elk and sipping local whiskey around the campfire. I am not driven to begrudge your way of hunting. More than one path and silly to demand everyone walk my path.

May as well, I've been applying in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Have you been buying tickets for Valle Caldera in NM? just about the same deal.....

I live about a three hour drive from the hunting area so I put the whole family in every year, it's only $10 per person.

And by the way, that brown aged whiskey is from Western Kentucky, In Eastern Kentucky where the elk are the whiskey is that clear fresh kind.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-14 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]
>May as well, I've been applying
>in Arkansas and Tennessee.
>
>Have you been buying tickets for
>Valle Caldera in NM? just
>about the same deal.....

No, I have never included the Valle Caldera deal in my portfolio. In fact it might even be worse than KY given the requirements. At least they are offering only one tag per person now, but I still won't apply. In KY with 1 in 600 odds you are not going to draw in 10 lifetimes. It's simply unrealistic. And your prize for winning is paying $700 to hunt average bulls. Just sayin I don't think HF should have bothered with this. HF really focuses on serious trophy hunters for the most part.

Zim,

You're right, it doesnt make sense to apply for tags with really bad odds. A complete waste of my time and money.

I'll take that into consideration and update my portfolio so I never again have to be bothered with long odds tags like these.

IMG_5112.JPG

gt1.JPG

muskox%20100.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

moose2.JPG

tomsram2.jpg

DSCN9407.JPG

IMG_1522_1_.JPG

dadsmoose.JPG

mattmoose4_1_1.jpg

Ya Buzz, I wouldn't want to be bothered like that either! You know, all the meat and trophy pack-out and such!
Long odds really suck. I'm glad to hear about all the guys who elect not to play!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-14 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]Buzz, I could post a closet full of trophies from long odds tags I have drawn in the last 20 years, including my top 10 in the state NH 2012 moose. But you are comparing apples to oranges. That is my entire point. We are talking about a 5x5 elk hunt here, not a sheep tag!.........two 350" bulls statewide in last 4 years. You will not shoot any of the critters in your pics or mine if you "win" and beat the 1 in 600 KY odds.

I encourage everyone, DO NOT APPLY for ELK in KY!!!!!!

A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!

Just a bunch of raghorns anyways, and also dont check their website for the top 10 kills. Nothing over 300.

evilnr, Somehow I don't think your post will stem the tide of new applicants HF will bring with the publicity. But good luck to all applicants. Hope you all beat the 1 in 600 odds to win raghorn elk hunts.

Zim, kind of surprised that you subscribe to the HF. I mean with their promotion of auction tags and high dollar hunts. Just asking.

>Zim, kind of surprised that you
>subscribe to the HF. I
>mean with their promotion of
>auction tags and high dollar
>hunts. Just asking.

I have no choice in he matter. For someone who applies as much as I do, in as many places, it is mandatory to know where HF is steering the cattle. I would not know about HF ads, articles, promotions, etc. as I don't read them. I don't even open the mailings I receive between issues.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom