kid help (its a repost) for cow or a buck

K

kytexican

Gentleme, (and ladies) I probably posted this on the wrong page in the first place, so I would hope to gain a little more insight from this page.

I have read this site for several year now, but just now am posting. I forget more passwords that birthdays. My question is this: What would be a decent unit to put in for elk or deer in New Mexico? This would be for my 2 boys. One is age 11, the other 12. Both shoot well with rifles, but neither can pull enough poundage for ethical shots with bows. I haven't introduced them to muzzy yet.
I am only looking for a unit designation, not a specific canyon. We will probably look to apply for antlerless elk, and deer. They have never been, and I promised them from day one, when their grades are up, and they are big enough I would take them. Its time now. I don't care if I draw or not, but I will put in separately, so if they don't draw, at least they would get to camp. I have hunted 16, 52, and the White Mountain areas, (w/o success). I like the terrain in 52, and think they could handle it, but we saw 1 doe, the entire hunt, and only heard 1 or 2 shots, and I think they were in CO. My brother will assist in guiding so I think we will be all right with personnel.

The boys are familiar with camping, and backpacking, and I have done several back-country wilderness hunts.

In short I would just like them to get an oppurtunity to shoot a cow or buck. We aren't looking for 190" deer, just a nice buck, that the boys would remember forever.

I have looked at the odds, and the units I thought they could draw were few and far between. Thank you, and if successful I will post pictures of them. Yes, they will be skipping school. This is more important.

KyTexan, I replied somewhere else. If i was you I'd look @ 15 Muzzy and 34 rifle for elk. I believe the Youth hunt is ES. Draw odds for NR unguided were 25% and 33% if I remember right. The youth hunts have the best dates and the NR odds are better. Most guys WON'T apply for an expensive tag for their kids if they can't hunt too.

Check the draw odds on this site to verify my info/memory.

Your 1st 3 choices count before they go to the next application, so make at least your 1st choice a quality area. Those odds are great for those units when you compare that the next hunt in those units have single digits NR unguided odds.

Wish your sons the best.

Thanks alot, I now have a pretty good idea of what to do. I will keep ya'll posted.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom