Kids drew 17, they are excited!!

K

kytexican

Well, I asked for some general areas in order to figure out where to put in, for the kids, and they drew. We had hoped to do the high country hunt, but in 3 previous trips to NM, I only have seen bucks down low. So I guess we will try down low this time. We will be backpacking in. Jacob (12) is shooting 140 gr. TBBC in his .270. Cody (11, and much smaller) will be shooting 115 gr. managed recoil rounds in his .270. We went and shot 10 shots each with the deer rifles last week, and about 20 shots apiece with the .22 (for trigger, breathing exercises). They shot about 5 shots offhand at 75 yards. 3 or 4 shots in under 45 seconds from a standing to sitting position. They shot 1 or 2 from the bench. I may have to get a set of shooting sticks for Cody.

I plan on shooting with them every 4 or 5 days until school starts back, and then every weekend or so. Very few will be from the bench, most will be from sitting, kneeling, and on a rest, like a tree or something.

Our weeklong vacation is this weekend and next week. We are going to Land between the Lakes, Kentucky. We are going to do a couple of medium distance hikes with all gear except guns, and filter water, etc. This is mostly to get the weight down to manageable limits. I really hope to be able to move camp to where the game is. We are packing, and dehydrating our own foods, and maps are soon to be on the way. Have read some stories about 17 and the lack of water in the backcountry. That is what worries me most. Hopefully it will snow. That should give us some water.

Anyhow, I told yall I would keep you informed, so I will. I will take some pictures of our pre-planning backpack trip and post for all to see, if any is interested. They are really excited. Thanks again.

That is very good hunt. Glad you guys drew.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

You will enjoy this hunt. I will mention places I have taken deer in 17 and you can do what you want with the info. First as you come out of Magdalena and head to the Mountains towards Monica;s Cabin you will see a tall hill on your left with a radio tower. This hill is actually a couple of very tall hills and regardless of traffic it always has deer on it. Second, try Bolander Canyon, easy access and driving. Shot a true big boy there. Next and the area I will spend my future hunts in is the Fire Lookout tower on top. Lots of deer, just get off the main road.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 10:32?PM (MST)

Here is a pic of us, with my little girl also, doing a 6 miler, just to get them used to the weight on their shoulders. We done 11 miles last week with fairly full packs. I will get some more pictures when I can. Practice with guns tomorrow as promised.

486c58555909599e.jpg

486c58b25a19263e.jpg

Heres a pic of what we want to see

486c55a249ee5218.jpg

Just kidding, thanks for all the help. It really does help narrow down the search.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom