kids gearing up, practicing for unit 17

K

kytexican

Hey folks, I told you I would keep you informed, and so here is some info. We have been backpacking up the hills, down the hills. We have been shooting. Jacob (12) is shooting about 1.5 inch groups from sitting, prone, and off of a hasty rest. Cody is shooting about 5 inch groups in the same positions. Jacob is doing fine, but Cody pulls all his shots right and low about 2 or 3 inches. This is at 150 to 175 yards. If Cody doesn't improve this weekend, I'll change his ammo, or I'll shoot his gun to see where his rounds really can hit. I may have to cut back on his maximum range, that I will allow him to shoot at. But I think that practicing at the long ranges will help him shoot up close.

They are both running, and exercising to get ready. It's really kind of amazing that they are putting this much effort into it, on their own. I think that they will be ready.

I hope there will be water in 17 in late November, that will be the catch. If we have water, we don't have to go back and forth. A foot of snow would be nice with a nice slow thaw.

I also hope they can kill some does, and maybe a buck here in November. Most shots here will be about 100 yards or less. I am giving up my Unit 32 tag, so I hope they at least get a look or two. Regardless, it will be a great hunt.

Thats good to hear that they are excited about this hunt. I will be up there for the next week, bow hunting deer. The season starts Monday but we are leaving a lil early to get in extra scouting. I will let you know what we see and where when we return. There is plenty of water as of two weeks ago when I was there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom