Kimber 8400 270 WSM

Christian

Anyone own one of these or have first hand knowledge?
I've been researching and seems like the 270 WSM is everything for deer that my 7mm Rem is, but I can get a lighter gun.

The Kimber looks too good to be true: 6lb 3oz (1/2 pound lighter than my WBY in 7mm Rem mag) but I've heard the Kimber's accuracy is hit and miss (no pun intended.) One gun will shoot great, the next won't.

Is it true that the WSM family has potential feeding problems in bolt action due to the 35 degree shoulder?

Your thoughts?

(I posted this in the gear section, too).

The Christian

I now use a Kimber Montana 270 WSM, and love it. It will shoot better than I am capable of. I also have a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Again, this gun will shoot better than my capabilities. I have taken mutiple mulies at long range with both, shooting accubonds, 140 & 180 respectively. I have not experienced any feeding problems with my Kimbers.
Good hunting!

Thanks Coulee!

I don't consider myself a long range accuracy freak, but I do like to see my guns shoot a 3-shot 1-inch group.

Good to hear you haven't had feeding problems. It has been mentioned by some, but nothing definitive.

As I'm new to the Kimber, I'm a little confused on their model descriptions.

Their website said the 270 WSM is offered in the 8400, but you said yours is the "Kimber Montana"- is that the same thing?

The one our gun shop has here in Idaho Falls is an 8400, synthetic stock, stainless action/barrel and weighs in at 6lb 3oz and no floor plate- a sweet lookin'/feelin' gun. Just want to make sure it's the same thing you're talking.

Thanks so much for your time!

The Christian

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the 270wsm is similar to a 7 rem mag? They're not even close when you consider bullet weight vs velocity in particular for those of us who handload. I'm not trying to be defensive as i shoot a 7 Mag but i did shoot a 270win for several years & they're great deer calibers, but they're not the same. I understand your wanting a lighter weight rifle that carries a little more energy than the 270win, i've even been looking at one for the same reason, but in a browning. I can't help you with the kimber accuracy but i've heard the same concerns about feed issues.

7 Mag

7, thanks for the input.

When I said "similar" I was referring to trajectory, muzzle energy, and velocity for deer.

I'm going off of data from the rifle ammunition manufacturers that show the two are similar. For example, Federal's website allows you to do a comparison between calibers at:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

If I select similar bullets, I see the 270 WSM is similar in performance to the 7mm REM/ 270 WBY- not better, but similar.

If I go to Chuck Hawks website, he confirms the same thing as Federal.

Am I missing something?

My goal is as light of rifle as possible. My Weatherby in 7mm Rem weighs 6lb 12oz naked, so if I can shave over 1/2 pound and still keep the performace (or close to, say +/- 50 feet per sec) of the 7 Rem, I might change rifles.

I called WBY, they have no plans to offer the WSM calibers, like they have other non-Weatherby calibers, and is why I'm shopping.

I'm a handloader for 20 years, but I've learned I can only exceed factory ammo in most guns by a few percent while still keeping accuracy to 1 MOA, so I always use their data to get a comparison.

The Christian

"Montanas" are kimbers stainless/synthetic guns. You could have an 84m montana or a 8400 montana. Though not on there website yet, Kimber is due to release the new model 84L in the spring of 2010. A 30-06 length action that should weigh less than 6lbs.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I agree with what your saying i'm just referring to bullet weight meaning the 7 (284 vs 277) can push heavier bullet weights (150-160) faster & have greater down range energy that's all. I've also been handloading for many years & the best caliber in my mind to exceed factory performance is the 280 rem, I use one for the majority of my antelope/deer hunting. I have a Remington CDL 280 that i glass bedded & she's a shooter! I'm also looking for a Sako Finnlight in this caliber but haven't been able to find one. Thanks for the debate & goodluck with your Kimber, i've heard good things about their rifles.
7 Mag

I have an 8400 in 270 WSM that I have had since they came out. I have shot Winchester factory ammo 130 grain BST and Federal 130 grain Barnes Triple Shocks. It shoots both very well. I love the Triple Shocks. They penetrate and are very accurate. I use them on mule deer and elk with great results. I also have an 8400 Montana in 300 WSM that I have shot several elk with shooting Nosler Partitions in 165 and 180 but have settled on a 165 grain Triple Shock. I find myself using the 8400 270 short mag most however. The wood just feels better in my hand than the plastic. They are great guns for the money, light, accurate, and have good triggers. This gun was made from scratch for the WSM line.

I don't own a Kimber but one of my good friends owns two-one in .270 WSM and one in .300 WSM. He's pretty picky but has great things to say about these rifles.

Just FYI.

I have an 8400 in .270wsm. Nice gun. Accurate enough but not remarkable. Easy 1-1.25" groups with factory ammo. I'm sure you could improve upon that by handloading.

That said, I did have some QC issues. The first stock on it was twisted in the forend and it touched the barrell rather firmly on one side. I noticed this before even shooting it. I sent it back and they replaced the stock (with nicer wood too). Then I did have a feeding issue. It just was not very smooth and the bolt would get hung up on the hump of the extractor rail. Again, I sent it back and they fixed it without issue.

It is now a nice rifle but I wish I didn't have as much trouble as I did.

You're right on more versatility with the 7mm. I really only hunt mule deer at this point in my life (raising a family now), so I'll just be shooting in the 130-150 grain bullet weight and is why I'm interested in the Kimber 270WSM. If I were pursuing larger game, the 7mm is still better. Thanks for your input.

I posted this in the mule deer section, too, and other people have had mixed reviews on the Kimbers there as well. Seems like there might be some issues. Anyone else?

Thanks

The Christian

I think you'll find debate no matter who the manufaturer is. Some will think there's nothing better, kinda like the ford vs chevy debate. My advice is if you like the Kimber than go for it otherwise you will always wonder what if!! Besides you can always sell it on Gunbroker if you're not happy.

Have a great Holiday!
7 Mag

I was faced with the same decision last year and decided to go w/a Sako 85 Huter in stainless/synthetic rather than Kimber. You may want to look it up! It is super light weight and the quality is pretty tough to beat!

Thanks jims,
I did look it up and it looks great. I owned a Sako AV in 7 rem and it was a sub MOA out of the box gun, but it weighed too much, so I sold it. It was a high quality gun, too. The gun you have is much lighter and might be what I'm looking for.

What caliber are you shooting?
What size 3 shot groups do you get?

Thanks!

The Christian

I bought a 300 WSM to use for everything from pronghorn to moose. The ballistics are very impressive and I also liked the fact that it didn't kick near as bad as a 300 Winchester or 300 Weatherby...especially with such a light weight rifle!

The only problem I've had is the 300 WSM is such a short stubby round that it isn't the smoothest loading into the chamber. It is ok but nothing like a longer cartridge. I spoke to a guy that really knows his stuff and he said Browning is about the only company that makes a different action/chamber for such a short-stubby cartridge. I really wanted a 300 WSM and about 95% of the time I only take 1 shot to kill an animal so it wasn't that big of a deal.

The workmanship of a Sako is pretty tough to beat! If I were you I would pick one up and look at it and compare it to a Kimber! You will likely drool once you get it in your hands! It is the lightest rifle I've owned. I also considered a Tikka because it is similar to Sako at a much smaller price but I liked all the features, craftsmanship, and features of my Sako 85 Finnlight. The Tikka and Kimber seemed almost like toy rifles to me in comparison!

If my memory is correct Sako has a guarantee for tight groups that are better than Weatherby or any other fresh out of the box rifle on the market. I shoot about 3/4" groups at 100 yards with a mediocre scope and 180 grain factory rounds. That's probably not too shabby for factory 30 caliber 180 grainers? I'm certain a 270 or another smaller caliber would shoot tighter groups than that?

It usually comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Everyone seems to have their favorites and mine is my Sako!

Thanks jims,
very informative. I owned a Sako AV, and you are right about quality and accuracy- out of the box 7 Rem shot 3/4" 3-shot groups, but the gun was heavy so I eventually sold it.

I'll check the Sako 85 out. I didn't know it was out there until I posted this.

I asked about the feeding of short mags into the chamber because I've heard they're not ideal. As many of the deer I shoot are close and in the cover (80 yards or less) it seems I'm chambering a second round quickly and I'm concerned about misfeeds.

My Weatherby has been flawless with misfeeds. I practice on rolling tires and purposely work my action as fast as possible and have never had a problem. That is what concerns me about the short mags.

Anyone out there rapid fire a short mag, say 3 shots in 6 seconds? Results?

Thanks everyone

The Christian

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-10 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-10 AT 10:06?AM (MST)

I would look at a different caliber than 300 WSM if you decide to go with Sako and want to use it for multi-shots in quick time intervals. I didn't really like Browning but if your mind is set on a short magnum it has a super smooth and quick action that feeds shells a lot different than the Sakos, Remingtons, Winchesters, Weatherbys, etc. I'm not sure if Browning has a lighter rifle with the same action?

If you are looking at quick recovery time between shots recoil likely is a fairly big factor? In fact, I would think recovery from recoil would be a lot bigger factor using a short mag with a shorter action? It sounds like you are mostly shooting short distance on deer sized game so you may not need a magnum caliber w/super ballistics for long range shots?

I know the recoil on my Sako 85 300 WSM isn't near as bad as my 300 Weatherby or a 300 Winchester I had several years ago. I had a 300 Winchester in a Thompson Center single shot and it pounded the living daylights out of me! I returned the barrel after a couple shots...boy was it light but boy did it ever kick!

If you pick a smaller caliber like 270 I would think recoil and recovery time would be somewhat shorter? I wanted a rifle for hunting multi-species and shooting at fairly long distance so that is why I went w/the 300 WSM. I love my Sako!

jims,

My average range on good bucks over the last 20 years has been about 150 yards with 350 being the farthest and shots ranging from 40 yards to 350.

I do want to stick with a magnum, though, as I hunt open country, it's just that the good bucks end up in the cover most places. The 270 WSM interests me because ballistically it seems to match the 7 REM mag, but in a lighter gun.

The recoil hasn't been an issue with follow up shots and for the most part, I haven't had to make many. It's just nice to know if you hammer an action quick and hard, that it won't misfeed.

Thanks jims,
your info is appreciated.

The Christian

Christian,

I think you will like the Kimber. I know some folks have mentioned accuracy and feeding issue, but I have not seen those problems with my Montana. I have used my 7wsm for the last four seasons and have been very happy with the gun.

I don't think they still make the 7WSM, but I think you would be happy with the 270.

good luck...

The .270 WSM recoil is a huge plus. I have one in a Nosler 48 that weighs just over 7 pounds and I shot a buck this year at 290 yards-I was able to see the buck "high kick" in the scope the recoil was so mild. A lotta punch and a little recoil.That's a hard to beat combination.

One more thread on the montana 8400.

My .325WSM is a fine weapon.I did not know how poor my rem.280 mt.rifle's trigger was until I shot the the Kimber!No overtravel and a crisp feel.The recoil knocked my hat off with every shot. Installed a quiet-brake and had the weapon dura-coated in a flat grey color.The feeding is not as slick as my model 70 (custom jewled bolt form the previous owner)but is not a problem. I don't like the feel of the synthedic stock and the blind magazine is a pain if you load and unload a lot.Light weight and accurate the beast is! And now recoil is less then the .280! -200 gr. acubonds did ok but this rifle loves the 220Gr. power point loads.My favorate kahles 3-9 tops it,a great match and is the best $550 scope I can imagine.The rig weights 7 lbs. 1 0z. and the 24" barrel does not seem to mine rapid fire. My Rem. will string the 3rd & 4th shot but the kimber just lays them on top of each other.I carry a six shot group in my wallet,just over an inch at 100 yards. The fit and finish is fine for me as this is a true all-weather gun, and will get used. Can't slight the Sako fans as they make a fine handsome product.The Kimber is about the same price as the lower end tika. With the claw-extractor and model 70 3-pos. safety. what's not to like!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom