Kimber 8400 300WSM

N

nodakboot

I recently purchased a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM and I love it. My firearms are more than just a"tool" to me,there is nothing like the feel of fine checkered walnut. Whats the best way to protect the fine wood but still use the rifle in nasty weather and ruff country.

Boot

I purchased the same gun about 4 years ago. I just make sure to clean it and oil it real well. I like to wipe my guns down with oil after each days use, it only takes a few minutes.
A great choice!

SWEET!

Not much to add for protection, above works for me. i also oil the heck out of anywhere the wood to metal can possibly touch, especially when new.

Congrats!!, they are nice aren't they?

Everybody dosn't need a cherry red 70' cuda to get to the grocerie store. Some like their grey honda... it's more dependable and gets better gas milege.

To each their own but i like the looks and craftmenship in nice piece of wood.

My problem is it would break my heart to mess up a pretty gun. I have a buddy that has a Browning White Gold Medallion. I don't even like to hold it. mtmuley

I think its possible to use a nice rifle for hunting without leaving it to roll around behind the seat of your pickup or scratch the heck out of it crossing a barbed wire fence. Dont get me wrong I own a rifle with a black stock and its a super pronghorn gun. When it comes down to it what ever you are comfortable with to take a good shot is a good rifle.

Boot

I don't know if they still make these but i was on a hunt one time and a guy had a really nice Jerry Fisher stock on his gun. He had a sleeve on his gun that had velcro on it and it protected his stock. I think it was called a gun chap or something like that and it actually seemed to work pretty well and it protected his gun while in the field. I don't have any idea how much that stock on that gun cost but it was a work of art and it was really something to look at. Most guys I know just get a glass stock made for them to hunt with and put it back in the fancy stock while at home but nothing looks better than a nice wooden stock!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-08 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]mtmuley, yeah, i know how you feel. My bud took his near mint pre 64 mod 70 .264 on a three week pack in hunt to Wy. After the hunt you could definitly see the difference in condition of that still very nice gun. I would but he didn't care. The guy has 15 different guns to pick from...

Also, i didn't know what a Browning white medallion looked like so i browsed on gunauction and they have several. They are VERY nice looking guns, kinda reminds me of the old Weatherby Mark 5's. I seen a 270WMS on there in SS with a gorgious stock for only $1029. buy it now. That seems way cheap for what you get...especially if they are shooters.

Edit; that was "gun broker" that i found those Browning white gold Medallions, including one in .270wsm that was talking to me. It was saying, "you like me, don't you?"

You should see the plastic on my hunting rifle. Looks like it was rubbed with a cheese grater. But don't get me wrong, the working parts are meticulously taken care of. I just use the Hell out of it. Those Brownings really are pretty, aren't they? mtmuley

i have a Remington with a nicer than normal chunk of wood that was bought when in my teens. Every night after scouting or hunting, i'd take it to pieces and clean it. I babied that gun for years, often would willingly hurt my body in a fall to protect that gun or scope.I invited a friend from school up hunting our place who had never hunted much or had taken a deer.

We were good buds, hiked back into a rugged roadless area that only i had access or the will to hunt. I put him on a nice forkie blacktail which he shot with my gun. After cleaning the buck, i threw it on my back and he was to carry my gun. Big mistake, he didn't go 50 yds before he slipped on the sidehill and smashed my stock into a rock leaving a 4" long deep scar.

I got over it... eventually, but soon learned how to pack them bucks pigieback like and my gun resting across their hind legs sticking out in front of me. With many bucks killed and almost 40 years, that's the only major mark on that gun to this day.

sage, My other reason for plastic and stainless, is after busting my ass all day in less than ideal weather, be it rain or snow or a combo of both, I can get back to camp in the dark, chuck the rifle in the corner, and get some food, then bed. No gun cleaning needed. mtmuley

Mtmulie, hey, don't get me wrong. i'd hunt with a synthetic stocked gun in a heartbeat. Some are even very nice to look at, as well as more functional than wood. They do have advantages over wood, just if i'm gonna pay the money... let's see what the other side looks like.

Boskee, Thanks for the input. You seem chock full of good advice and experience. i didn't mean to slight you in any way the other day. Hopefully, i'll learn a thing or two more from you. That's what this place is all about, having fun and learning at the same time.

joey

What about character?? Scratches here and there only add character. I don't hesitate sliding my Browning A-bolt into the
scabord.

Echoman, True, once the newness wears off, what the heck. Old warriors that show hard use and many miles are cool too!

For me though as far as gunstocks, the character is the grain in the wood, the lines, checkering, the quality of the wood to metal transition areas, and the finish itself. Scratches and dings happen with use, BUT MUCH MORE SO IF YOU DON'T TAKE CARE, just like on the brand new pickup a guy always wanted. Do you like "character" on your new pickup?

That's how i have alway felt about it anyway. I buy wood and i try to take care of it. Only wish that i had bought more and nicer guns. Some are very near to a work of art.

For the barreled action, you could have it coated in black graphite colored Cerakote. This ceramic based coating would give the rifle a black matte finish, and protect it better than a Teflon finish.
http://www.ultracoatingsinc.com/services.html

For the stock, you could finish it with Pro-Custom finish from Brownells. It is a mixture of tung oil and urethane.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/st...x?p=5531&title=PRO-CUSTOM OIL GUNSTOCK FINISH
I have used just polyurethane in the barrel channel, action area, and under the recoil pad and grip cap.

I have put the Pro-Custom on one of my Kimbers, and the Cerakote on another rifle.

Additional things you can do is apply and buff Johnson's paste wax on the uncoated barreled action and stock. Keep a piece of electical tape over the end of the barrel. Dont bring a cold rifle into a warm humid cabin, tent or trailer to prevent condensation.

Doug~RR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom