Kimber Montana 270 WSM...What Cartridge???

R

Rsquared

My new Tool is a Kimber Montana, chambered for 270 WSM, Ziess Conquest 4.5 to 14 scope. So...what cartridge mfr. and bullet size have people found that shoots well out of this tool?

Thanks in advance.

I would start with Federal Premium brand first. As for bullet weight, what are you going to use it for. Deer size go with 130-140 grain, elk look at 140-150 with a Partition bullet or other premium bullet.
If you can afford that rig, you can afford to buy about 4-5 boxes of different loads and see which shoots best in YOUR RIFLE.

RELH

Sounds like you got a heck of a gun there. Congrats!!

I'm very happy with what i get from Remington Premium loaded 150gr AccuTips. No way of knowing how they do in your gun but to shoot a few groups with them. I have yet to get a group over 1" in mine. The normal group is about 3/4", some smaller. These factory loads are very flat shooting and have plenty of down range energy. It's one to check out! Good luck!!

Joey

I would be looking at the 110 gr Barnes TTSX's by Federal. You would most likely have a hard time stopping them with anything. Elk included.

I have the same "tool" topped with a Leupold VX-III. Mine really likes Federal Premium 140 gr Accubonds. By the way, this load does a REALLY nice job on Mule Deer bucks.
Enjoy your new "tool".

Rsquared, I have a Kimber 8400 in a .270 WSM and I hand load for it, not sure if that is what you are looking for or not but I will give the info. on the stuff I use.

RL 22 powder, with a 140gr Nosler Accubond now this works very well but I can also sub. the Accubond for a Hornaday Innerbond and in my opinion the Hornaday shoots a little better.

Good luck,

Slide

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 05:04?PM (MST)

Rsquared, i have a remington 270wsm. If you have not selected a load yet. Try some 130 hornady sst's over some imr 4350, i shoot them it is a pretty good load, i chronoed it the average of 8 shots was 3368. It shoots good too 1/2 inch out of my gun. I have not shot anything but paper with it but i have only heard good about the sst's, the interbonds are also another good bullet.

Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-08 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]I would put the first 2 boxs of the cheapest ammo you can though it first to break in the barrel and not get too excited about 1/2 inch holes until then. I have the same cailber rifle on order from Winchester all weather version. I have several friends with the same caliber who have all gone to the 140 accubond for every thing. Good luck.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Try calling Larry @ Superior Ammunition in Sturgis S.D. They run a fantastic operation and if you tell him all of the rifles characteristics & what you plan to do w/it he will load a sample pack for you w/ several different weights, brands of bullets, primers, etc. The price is only a fraction higher than the premium factory ammo.
www.superiorammo.com

T264

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom