knee replacement

lostinOregon

Very Active Member
Any of the MM faithful have their knee replaced. I have waited as long as I can and the pain is just too much. Looking at December for surgery. I have heard others that have had good luck with it but most are not avid hunters. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Rich

Lost, Good luck with your knee! Mines good for awhile then another month it hurts so bad i want to cut it off to get some sleep.

Wish you the best!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hi Lost. I personally haven't had this operation but my dear friend did and he said to exercised your knee post surgery and it willl be a great success. He used a rowing machine a lot.
Good luck
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Know of many who have had it done and are thankful they did. Know of one that had little improvement. Good Luck.

After years of bearing the pain, my wife had her right knee replaced 3 years ago. She will tell you that the most important thing for great success is picking a good surgeon and making sure you do the physical exercise to gain full movement, even if it hurts when doing it and it will.
She was faithful in doing the physical therapy that she gained full movement in little over two weeks and the doctor told her he was going to make her his poster child for a successful knee transplant.
Good luck and if everything goes right you will be back hunting by next season.

RELH

Lost,
I have had my left knee replaced twice. I was only 41 the first go around. It was due to a serious high school football injury. It lasted 16 years until I wore it out and I had to have it replaced again. I am now 66 and still going strong. I just got back from a 13 day backpack Stone Sheep hunt in BC and I was able to keep up pretty well.
A replaced knee is never as good as the original equipment, but it's way better than bone on bone pain.
Rehab is critical and pushing yourself to get back to your best will allow you to still hike and climb, etc.
Best of luck. PM me if you have specific questions.

There is a doctor in Park City Utah that is supose to be the very best there is.
You will have to find out the name.
GO WITH THE BEST!!!
Doctors are not all equal.

Good luck

The Park City one would be Dr. Thomas D. Rosenberg.

The same guy who worked on Tiger Woods.

Everyone I know who have replaced their knee(s) wish they would have done it sooner.

Rich: Had my left one done the first of this year. pick a good knee doctor and get it done. The rehab is the most important part. Do exactly what the therapist tells you as I found out the hard way you can do to much to quick which will also set you back. My experience was as follows 1-3 weeks after - who talked me into this? 4-6 weeks pain subsides some and you can sleep. 6-9 weeks knee really starts to come around and just gets better from there. if I had one thing to do differently I would of had it done sooner, as now my right one from carrying the load for so long is going down the same road. shot me a message if you have any questions, still pretty fresh in my mind.
PS.Take the pain pills at first, otherwise you will never get the proper bending flexing needed. Get yourself a stationary bicycle, works great!

Warren

Here is another option.....

I will be 50 this year and am in serious need of a knee replacement. The VA doesn't want to do it at this age because odds are I would need another in 20-30 years and second knee replacements have a very poor success rate.
So instead, for the last year, I have been getting the "rooster booster" shot every 6 months. Its a shot into the knee of hyalonic acid (the stuff comes from a roosters comb, hence the name). These shots have been nothing short of miraculous! I have been able to exercise without significant pain. This year I am actually going to hunt the Steens Mts.....on foot!
From what I understand, the shots cost upwards of 2K a pop, so they are not cheap...but damn do they work good.

RJ

Best of luck, Rich. I have bad knees from 3 surgeries and playing football. But I'm gonna live with them for now.

If you are headed to Alberta, live through the pain and smack a big one. and send me a pic!

Best of luck!

I feel your pain. I was suppose to get it done in July but I drew 61 in Wyoming for elk and was worried I wouldn't be ready or rehabed. I will be going in by horseback (October 1)14 miles and will suck it up on foot from there. I have surgery scheduled for November 19th and plan on being back to teaching the Monday after thanksgiving. I hope that I can be working with walking cane or crutches.
I am 56 years old and lost some weight and been working out which helped....but I'm still bone on bone. Most of my issues are first few steps (or more) and waking up in night with pain.

Never had it done myself but my sister in law had both done by age 50 from too much running.

On her second one she had a doctor that put her on the machine that works your knee, passive therapy or something like that? she said that's the only way to go.

Good luck.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Rich: Had my left one done
>the first of this year.
>pick a good knee doctor
>and get it done. The
>rehab is the most important
>part. Do exactly what the
>therapist tells you as I
>found out the hard way
>you can do to much
>to quick which will also
>set you back. My experience
>was as follows 1-3 weeks
>after - who talked me
>into this? 4-6 weeks pain
>subsides some and you can
>sleep. 6-9 weeks knee really
>starts to come around and
>just gets better from there.
>if I had one thing
>to do differently I would
>of had it done sooner,
>as now my right one
>from carrying the load for
>so long is going down
>the same road. shot me
>a message if you have
>any questions, still pretty fresh
>in my mind.
>PS.Take the pain pills at first,
>otherwise you will never get
>the proper bending flexing needed.
>Get yourself a stationary bicycle,
>works great!
>
>Warren

My wife had both of her knees done, four months apart, within the last year. She would echo what Warren has said. A good doctor and therapy are the keys. She would do it again in a heart beat. She had a doctor who did nothing but knees and hips and had the whole experience down to a science. He is in Sacramento. PM me if you need his name. Good luck with your knees.

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Rich I have a co-worker who had it done and he's really happy with the results I'm sure you'll be as good as new and ready for next season.

I did mine in 2012 after an elk hunt where I simply could not move well enough to chase the elk. The new knee is great. I can do a lot more hiking now and the knee is not an issue. It is not a fun surgery, though.

I appreciate all the responses. I just turned 50 so they kept telling me to live with the pain. After the last X-ray and bone scan I guess changed the options. I played sports way to long and have had 2 surgeries on the knee already and have tried the fluid, cortisone and had my knee drained. So I decided it was time, but of course after hunting season.

I have a hunt in Oregon for deer, CO for elk with my dad and son and then Alberta in November for deer so I wanted to get through the hunt seasons and then get it done so I can heal up for next year. I have to be honest, not that crazy about cutting my knee out but he pain is too much.

I am going to trade in my incline trainer for a stationary bike and work hard at recovery so I can get back out there better than ever.

ICM, some Giants have fallen during bow season in Alberta so I am chomping at the bit for November to get here.

Good luck to everyone,

Rich

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom