knight disc accuracy

offhuntn

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-04 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p] I have a Knight disc 50 cal 22"barrel. that I have had for five years now, in the past I have shot great patterns at 100 yards. This year I went out and could not shoot the broad side of the barn. I use a Leupold Gilmore red dot scope that I bought when the gun was new, I have had great sucess with it. I shoot three fifty grain pyrodex pellets with a 300 grain 44 cal. HP/XTP hornady bullet and a green Knight sabbot, same load I have shot for four years. I went back to shooting at 25 yards and I was all over the target, about 7 or 8 inches from the last shot everytime. At 100 yards on a hill it would be several feet in every direction from what I was aiming at. I shoot off a cement bench with a gun rest. I called the local gun shop and they said my scope had problems and they did not make it anymore. I went and bought a Bushnell Holosight and shot it last night, I also swiched to 777 pellets, I was all over the target. This morning I went back ant at 25 drilled three touching in the bullseye, WOOHOO! went to 100 yards, first shot was 6" high and after that several feet in every direction, back to 25 and all over the place. Anyone heard of Knight having bad barrels? I would think of a different load but it shot fine last year. HELP!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-04 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]I would completely disassemble and clean the entire rifle, inspect the barrel and all other parts keeping an eye out for anything out of normal. After your sure every part is 100% clean and in good condition, reassemble the gun, make sure every screw is absolutely tight.
Next, I would shoot the rifle in a solid rest at 25 yards using only iron sights. A proven easy to load bullet like a 348gr. Powerbelt and a moderate powder charge of 80-100 grains would be my choice for this accuracy test.
I'll bet you'll get a three shot group of a 1/2 inch or less, maybe a one hole group. Let us know your findings.

Since your rifle has shot three pellets real well in the past, then we must look in another direction. Also, since you are using the same gun, powder, sabot & bullet, then I suspect the green (non-magnum rated) sabot to be the culprit that's leaving melted plastic in your rifling & the non-magnum bullet (44/XTP) to be the other culprit leaving deposits of copper-cladding in your bore. You should be using the 45/50 XTP-mag bullet & the magnum-rated black sabot.

What solvent have you used to clean the bore the past five years?
Are you using a brush or jag to clean the bore? You may need to change both of those too.

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-04 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]I talked with another hunter after posting this and he had the same problem, he said his was just really really dirty. he had to use a 54 cal brush in a 50 cal barrel to do the job. I am going to try to super clean the barrel with a new brush and solvent then try it again. I have a hard time thinking it is the barrel. What powerbelt bullet would you use and would you use 777 or pyrodex.

You don't want to try 3-pellets with 295 or heavier Powerbelts. They tend to blow the bottom of the cup/base.. specially with 777. The most accurate Powerbelts in Knight Discs are the heavier ones too... 348 & 405s.

Try the 45/50 T/C Shockwaves in 300 grain. Much better B.C than the shorter, pistol bullet XTPs. The plastic sabot is magnum-rated -- the bullet is magnum rated. Also buy a pack of 30-grain pellets. Use two 50s & one 30. That load kills out to 250 yards ... provided you can shoot that straight. Let us know how you make out.

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

Just some info from experience with that gun. I bought one when they first came out had similar problems. Shooting three pellets I always use the Knight Red Hot bullet because the plastic jacket is designed for 150 gr. of power. I also use a twelve gauge shotgun brush for cleaning and run a dry patch between each shot. Mine seems to shoot lighter bullets more accurate like the 200 or 225. I met Tony Kinght once and these are some of the suggestions he had for using the Disc. With the combo of that bullet in 225 gr and three pellets I can get less than two inch groups at 100 yds. I always shoot one fouling shot before hunting with it because the first shot out of a clean barrel will be six inches right and four inches high. We have two weeks of blackpower season and several special draw hunts so mine gets a lot of use. It has served me well over the years, I think I have taken at least ten deer with it.

I sighted in my Knight Disc last night and at 100 yards had a 4" group after 12 shots. I use 2 Pyrodex pellets with a 295 grain Powerbelt Hollowpoint. This is the same load I have used for 3 years now and have never had a problem. I clean the hell out of my gun after every three shots and that seems to keep the groups tight. The first two years of the muzz hunt were very frusterating, being new to muzz guns I tried about every load possible and couldn't shoot consistent with anything until I tried the 295 Powerbelt's with 2 Pyrodex pellets. I guarantee this is a fail safe load--try it.

Sounds like you are pretty knowledgable on MLs having owned your gun that long so i'd discount barrel fouling initially as I'd guess you probably keep it clean.

You are using fresh powder? I've run into this problem each year using last years stock and its mighty unnerving at first. Even though I store my powder in dry places, it seems pyro doesnt age well. Even unopened cans more than a year old I've found STD DEV over a cronograph to increase.

Try some *FRESH* powder before you go to more extreme measures.

-DallanC

Thanks for all the help! It was a dirty barrel. Stupid me... I am back to shooting perfectly with this gun, thanks again!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom