Knight Revolution II

CalHunter

I'm thinking about ordering a Knigt Revolution, Do any of you guys have any info on this gun? I'll be hunting in Colorado for deer and elk.Will this gun do well with loose powder and conicals? I have Zero experience with muzzleloaders, so any info will help.

Thanks,
Ryan

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-07 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]Not sure about the revolution but you might want to check out the Bighorn.... It's ignition systemm is set up to shoot loose powder and it comes with nipples you can change out to shoot percussion or musket caps to make it CO Legal....Although I plan to, I haven't shot conicals out of mine yet but the barrel has a 1:28" twist...... maybe one of the more experienced guys can better say how it would handle the conicals.... Terry

That one requires the use of Knight disks, right? And it suggests from ads that it will shoot saboted bullets to a 2.5" group at 100 yds... but no info on Powerbelts or Conicals.

It does say it is easier to clean tho.

I, too, am looking for a good choice for ML hunting in CO this year. I like Knight, but have not heard anyone tell me it is a good powerbelt or conical shooter or is truly easy to clean.

Having to use the Knight discs is a minor turn-off for me as well. Not sure about you. Maybe it can be "converted" to just standard 209 primers.

And the price is $200+ more than some other rifles like the Traditions or Winchester Apex which I'm still trying to do research on for CO hunting. Is it $200 better? - I'm still VERY undecided.

ElkScout
Colorado Springs, CO

Ryan, I do not have information on the Knight Revolution, however I have put in hours of research in the last 2 years studing muzzleloader guns. The bottomline in my opion is that there really isnt a gun made that will shoot conicals or powerbelts anywhere near as well as they will sabots. That is just life, and depending on who you talk too and who they are loyal too--ie Knight, TC, Savage or any of the others you can get a lot of personal opinions. Most are solely based on experience and comfort about their particular gun just as my choice of guns would be. Heck, I bought a gun that I cant even find bullets for to shot in Colorado, good thing I dont muzzlehunt here. When I do draw a tag I will borrow a friends TC which will work. However, based on what he has told me about it, my Knight will shoot circles around it. So, that said, do your homework and buy what you think will work for you, then shoot, shoot and shoot somemore. It took me a while to figure mine out, but once I did I really have had a lot of fun with it. One thing I have learned is guys will tell you there gun will shoot great groups and most will with pellets, but since you cant shoot pellets in Colorado try and find someone who has shot a lot of loose powder. If you like e-mail me and we can talk more. I shoot loose powder only because the velocity is way better through a chronograph. Another great place for information is www.accuratereloading.com in the muzzleloading forums.

Mark

Go to cabelas, they have the apex with camo stock and stainless steel barrel on sale for $229. Doesnt use those primer cups and is sealed breech. They were built to shoot conicals and sabots with accuracy. 2.5" @ 100 with a knight is sad. Knight also will shoot conicals but the knight rev and rev2 have trigger issues. They are not knights best sellers.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-07 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]T/C Omega laminated with stainless steel barrel with either a 405 gr. Powerbelt or a 460 gr. No Excuse conical. Do a google search on No Excuse Bullets. Be sure to ask for the .503 diameter when ordering.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Thanks everyone for all the input,I spent some time researching and found that the most common answer is to buy a gun and learn to shoot it.I went with the Revolution and I,m sure in the next few months I'll drive everyone crazy with stupid questions.My gun should be here in the next few days, and I can't freekin wait!Thanks again for all the opinions.

Ryan

Good for you, Hope everything works out for you and your new rifle. What unit are you hunting? I just put in for unit 211 but will mainly hunt unit 11 and 22 this muzzleloading season.

Just to start you off:

Pyrodex RS Loose powder Or pyrodex Select.

CCI shotgun shell 209 primers, federal 209 primers or winchester 209 primers.

Bullets, Im not sure what you're going to be shooting at, but if its a deer i'd go with a 338 or 348 grain powerbelt Or an all around great bullet and the one i'll be using, 385 grain Great plains bullet. The great plains bullet will be good for everything from deer or elk, moose exe.

Another reason i put the CCI primers first, i shoot a muzzleloader thats bolt action and weather exposed. CCI's are super clean and leave hardly any residue on my bolt and they've given me the best groups ive ever shot. federals come up #2 on my list but are slightly dirtier but also provide almost the same group results.

Any idea's on what bullet you'll be trying first?

I bought a the Revolution I a couple years ago which is very similar to the II. They supposedly have a different trigger and breech plug because of some issues but basically the same gun. I have been extremely happy with the accuracy but it took a while experimenting. I had problems with powerbelts being inconsistant. I tried the Jim Shockey gold and it didn't shoot clean at all which really surprised me cause it shot very clean in my older gun. The load I ended up with is 100g of 777 (recommended by a Knight rep) and 370 g. TC maxiball. This bullet is for elk which I didn't find out until I saw it on their website. For me @ 50 yds, (open sights) I was shooting groups maybe 3/4 to 1-inch apart max, normally closer. I haven't spent much time shooting further distances yet but hope to do so this year if I draw. I did switch my sights as well and went with the TruGlo ghost ring on the rear and small bead on the front. The sights has been revised again this year with a different front which I may try. The sights have helped me more than the std. sights which I think were Williams. I actually did speak with the Knight rep when he was in Denver and said they have found also that the powerbelts don't always shoot well. From my experience, I liked them in my previous gun but they didn't work for me in the Knight. As many have said, you need to experiment a bit to find what your gun likes which sometimes takes time.
Hope this helps! Doug

Truglow Ghost ring sights are a huge must! They look odd at first but once you drop it on your target and see the picture it allows, you'll love it. After some stock work and these sights my winchester will hold a steady 5/8" groups @100 yards all day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom