Krygistan Ibex

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Just got back from Kyrgyzstan and hunting Ibex in the land of Genghis Khan. It was a long tough but successful trip. I have been trying to make this happen for several years. The key in Pakistan is for it to be in the dead of the winter when the snow drives them down from the high mountains and you can actually get at them. I thought it was the same in Kyrgyzstan....not so. I could have actually gone in Sept. when the weather is like Sept. Colorado weather instead of the Siberia weather I had to deal with. Oh well you live and learn.

Spent several days in Biskeck the Capitol City....got rousted by the cops for a small bribe....it has the stamp of communist ugliness and for the most part really ready to get out of Biskeck. The trip to the hunting area was a loooong one of about 15 hours driving on crappy roads. The altitude was about 14,000 feet where the hunting was and super steep....and oh yeah was like 15 below Fahrenheit. When we first saw Ibex I thought there was no way we could hunt there. Super steep crumbly cliffs....well that's where we hunted. The horses were amazing and I never thought a horse could do what they did across super steep boulder fields and scree fields...cliffs...you name it. But then much of the hunting was on our feet. It was the toughest hunt I have ever been on. I had two hunters with me. These guys were amazing. "Bek" the best of the two was able to move across the roughest coldest country I have ever dealt with not wearing boots but wool boot liners like strolling in the park. The gun I used was a Russian Kalashnikov semi auto sniper rifle with a crazy old scope with all sorts of cross hairs and Cyrillic (Russian) letters.....but it made 10 inch group ot 250 yard and seemed solid. Bek said most shots at 200 or so.

We saw hundreds of Ibex a day. Our hunting area was a 30 mile mountain range and they take like 3 hunters a year so you might think tha the Ibex might not be too spooky. Wrong....they are like the antelope of the cliffs. If they see you a mile away they make a mad dash for the highest roughest cliffs. Bek had the crappiest pair of binoculars you could imagine and he was awesome at judging. We had numerous chances at what looked to me to be good Ibex but Bek said "No one meter" meaning they would not break 39 inches....40 inches is I think bench mark to the trophy class.

We saw a few noticeably bigger rams but they were much rarer. I was able to take a 47 inch heavy horned Siberian Ibex think with a thick winter coat and a nice beard on day three. He was 10 years old and a loner his horns showing the wear of a long life in a very tough enviorment. It was a tough hunt....add in a 30 hour airline trip each way....came home with a cold and still beat from the whole process. A memorable experince....but next time palm trees might be in the works....;)

82551.jpg

680322.jpg

Magnificent ram made even more memorable that you took him with a Kalashnikov rifle. Truly an experience of a lifetime.

Eldorado

Wow!
That is a fine looking Ibex and a trophy I can only dream of.
Sounds like you had an amazing experience. I am assuming from your post that you couldn't take your own rifle?
Thanks for sharing pictures and story.
Now that's an adventure to write about, eh!

Thanks guys. No I did'nt take my own rifle...was promised a more modern rifle and did'nt want to hassle with the transport...bu that fell through.... My confidence was not soaring when I got a look at the rifel but it worked better than it looked. The trigger pull was like a inch and half and that took some getting use to...

Adam, the mature Billies were darker and they get a distinct white patch on thier backs. You could spot them compared to the other tan animals.

Gonna try and resize some more pictures later...I kept on getting a fatal error when trying to load.

Ya Ted, some of the photos in your email didn't work either, glad to see you got em posted up here...stunning country

Congrats man, ya did real good!

The base price fro the trip is 4500. Add in another 700 or so for tips...cook...two hunters (guides)...driver who drove us to the base camp...camp manager...interprator... I used FF mile for the airplane trip...incidentals here and there. I think it would be less if there were two or three hunters plus you would have somebody to talk to unless you speak Russian.

But consider the base for a Dall Sheep hunt is like 11 grand for the basic hunt and then still include all the other stuff I guess a bargain.

Khan Tangri was the operation. If somebody becomes serious I could help them make the connection.

I can't stress enough this was a tough trip in many ways so one needs to be ready and for sure isn't for everyone. I am a fit 51. Never was one of the freak super hikers but I can hold my own and trained pretty hard for the trip and it ripped my heart out. It was cold and exhausting and getting a few hours of sleep a night for a week did'nt help. If I had to do it again for sure I would do the Sept-Oct hunt.

Absolutely bad azz ! ! Congradulations on a successful hunt of a lifetime ! ! You earned it that's for sure !

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Well done Ted!

Great trophy!

I'm happy you enjoyed such great success.
Thanks for the emails, photos and story.
I really appreciated that you shared it with me.

Keep up the good work,
Zeke

Zeke, our area did'nt have Marco Polo....kept thing of that great MP photo you sent me....wow classic. In my book the ulimate trophy...over anything. I had gotten a tip that for big Ibex avoid the areas with MP. The logic being that anyone tha comes for a MP also gets an Ibex and year after year that puts allot of pressure on the older billies.

Anyways...thanks guys all for the kudos....buckling down on the story and will post when it is in glassy magazine form...

Ted

Some stunning photos and a gorgeous billy.

Crazy hunt! You are hard core!!

>Zeke, our area did'nt have Marco
>Polo....kept thing of that great
>MP photo you sent me....wow
>classic. In my book the
>ulimate trophy...over anything.
>I had gotten a tip
>that for big Ibex avoid
>the areas with MP.
>The logic being that anyone
>tha comes for a MP
>also gets an Ibex
>and year after year that
>puts allot of pressure on
>the older billies.
>
>Anyways...thanks guys all for the kudos....buckling
>down on the story and
>will post when it is
>in glassy magazine form...
>
>Ted

I did this hunt in Nov 2009. It was quite the adventure, we hunted south of Issukul up against the Chinese border. Our group of four all shot animals by the end of day two. Besides the extortion at the Manas airport we had a great experience too.

For a foreign exotic "National geograhic" hunt it is the most affordable hunt around.

Alaska...I was in that region...the valley was a wedge between China and Kazacistan...

Very cool animals for sure

Hey for those interested. The story of this hunt "Into the Cold Heart of the Tian Shan" is in the current edition of "Sporting Classics" and on the newstands of Barnes and Noble

203sc_cover.jpg

6912tian_shan.jpg

Nice Ted!!!!
I loved the story that you emailed to me. I can't wait to read/see it all again in the mag.
Well done!
Zeke

Great story, thanks for sharing the photos! I have hunted Kyrgyzstan twice for ibex and get to go back next month for marco polo and ibex for a February winter hunt. What part of the country did you hunt? We were about 15 hours from Bishkek on the Chinese border south of Issyk-kul.

Both hunts of mine (2009 and again in 2012) were a success taking three ibex total in the 42" range and also 10 years of age. LOTS of horror stories from hunters who unknowingly booked with bad outfitters but sure is a great hunt if you go with a reputable outfitter.

My dream hunt is for Marco Polo. In my opioion the best looking game animal on earth. Just don't know if it is in the cards....or in the budget.

Sound like we were in the same area. Tough winter hunt for sure. The main difficulty was being dehydrated....everything was frozen....and the guides don't seem to need food or drink....

Good luck hope to see the posts of your hunt...

Ted

Dreams do come true! Never give up on a dream!

9711corrected3.jpg

No, you don't have to wear one of those goofy hats..... but it has high sentimental value to me. I bought in Mongolia and vowed to use it in Tajikistan some day. Yes, dreams do come true!

Zeke

Love that picture... I did buy a white goofy hat and wore it a few times....got it home and it shed worse that a Lab in April....

My hat was 22 years old at the time of this photo (2008). It's not shed a single hair and kept it's shape!?????? The crazy hat is made from Mongolian mountain marrmot....warm and stylish. LOL.

Zeke

I hear GQ is seeking a cover photo from you Zeke! I know I am at least hoping for an autographed copy of the picture and an opportunity to run my fingers through that marrmot fir! :)

Very Nice!

That is an amazing animal and a great story. I used to travel throughout the former Soviet Union in the 1990s for work. It was always an interesting adventure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom