Kuiu 5200 as a daypack

fuzzyvelvet

I have been researching and debating over which new pack to get. I would love something that can cinch down tight to my back when mostly empty for day trips and be used as a good day pack with the potential of using it for an overnight trip up to 3 nights. I didn't like that the 3200 didn't have as many pockets or I would consider it; I feel like it is about the perfect size. Does it have enough compression straps to strap down a deer/elk head or some shed antlers? Does the load sling carry meat well in a regular game bag or do you need more of a dry bag? In the end does the 5200 fit what I am looking for? Can anyone give the dimensions of this pack when empty and when full compared to the 3200 in size? Thanks.

I don't know about the 5200 but my son and I both have the new ICON Pro7200. We are headed out on a 12 day sheep hunt in two weeks, thus we need the room. But today we hiked a 10 K peak using them as day packs and they worked well for us. We were only carrying binos, tripods spotting scopes a jacket and a little food and water. The straps allowed us to cinch them up tight. I suspect the 5200 would do the same thing. I did watch a friend use one as a day pack a couple of years ago. It also seemed to work for him but I don't recall the strap set-up.
Best of luck

I just got my 5200, and I'm going to use it for both backpacking in types of hunts, and for my day hunts (I don't have the kind of money to have two different packs, so I'll probably have to use the 5200 for both). I can say that the 5200 contracts and expands very nicely to accommodate small or large amounts of gear, and it is nicely sized so as to not make it feel overly bulky when you only have a small amount of stuff in it. The other thing I'm probably going to do when finances allow for it is to just buy a 1850 ($99) or 3200 ($149) bag to use for day hunts. It is a nice pack, and I'm curious to see how it holds up with 60 pounds of meat in it, but I haven't had the opportunity to give that a shot yet. Good luck!

I have the 5200 and use it exactly as you are describing . Its big enough for multi day hunts and when used as a day pack with minimal gear you hardly know its there .

Thanks for the replies; D6, can you still access the pockets well when you have it compressed down with little in it? Thanks.

Access to the pockets is pretty tough with it compressed , but loosening the compression straps is very easy . I learned to place the items I use most in the exterior pockets to make it faster / easier .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom