Kuiu... honeymoon over.

D

dreaminbouthuntin

For consumers looking into buying gear from KUIU.. I offer a warning.

while things may seem peachy to the untrained eye, things have begun to unwravel at KUIU. I have been a customer since its debut and have first hand knowledge on issues involving the company.

first, nothing is ever in stock. When KUIU first came out, they were sewing all gear in Canada and a fine job the Canadians did.
Since last year, Jason decided to move production to China.. yep. China. Guess what happened.. everything shrunk in size, tailoring was a downgrade and even though he stated it would increase roll over time.. it is actually taking more time now and quality has gone down as well.

second, 'innovation'. Thats fine, things change. Problem is, things are constantly changing at KUIU. Packs every year have changed and even though KUIU has stated the packs and frames are compatable.. they are not. So you bought a first gen pack and frame.. guess what, good luck finding spare parts or god forbid your pack rips or frame fails.. it no longer exists and isnt interchangable like KUIU says it is.. better look else where for a frame to put the bag on. First hand experience with that one.

third, since KUIU has issues with keeping gear in stock.. what did they do? Go out and make a sleeping bag, tent and mountaineering boots.. really KUIU? You cant even keep current gear in stock so you try and compete with major tent and bag companies and continue to stretch yourselves thin.. good call (sarcasm).
nothing is so different with the bags and tents that they separate themselves from other companies. Fail.

fourth, dont you dare speak against KUIU and discuss flaws on their forum.. you'll get a slap down and attitude. Is it their right to refuse those types of coments? Sure, but when KUIU's main motto is 'transparency'.. that type of attack on consumers pointing out flaws isnt transparency now is it.

Dont get me wrong, KUIU has some great gear.. if you can get it.. in the right size, color, ect or before it becomes obsolete within a couple months to a year.

I have dropped over 7k on KUIU and have owned just about ever piece of first and second gen gear. I stopped investing In KUIU last year because of all the hassle and issues. There are much better options out there IMO.

Just a word of caution before you spend big money on their gear. Make sure you know what you are buying. I speak for many others and from years of experience with KUIU.

Happy hunting and be mindful.

I personally switched from sitka to kuiu this past year and have been nothing but impressed with it compared to my sitka gear.... sitka gear never lived up to its hype or price in my opinion. If it were for the discount I had on it i wouldn't of bought it in the first place. Primarily everything has gone to china now days... just the world we live in I suppose. I did invest in some First Lite stuff this past year also and have been impressed with it.

Coloradoboy

I'm with you Russ,
Spent a good chunk at the Expo.

They've only been in business a few years, so I am not ready to yell "the sky is falling".

Time will surely tell.

Sounds like a plant trying to dump on Kuiu to pump up somebody else. I have been nothing but happy, and have quite a bit of their gear.
If you want to complain about availability, pay twice as much and buy a lesser product in Sitka at the big box stores. I have occassionally waited a couple weeks for my size / color, but don't really consider this a problem given the quality and the low price.Plan ahead.
While I don't particularly have a need for a new tent or sleeping bag, I have no problem with them expanding their line. Something tells me that it isn't the same person sewing clothing as it is sleeping bags. I don't see how adding another product, more than likely made in another factory, will have any influence on clothing production. Get real.

The very fact that they can't keep up with demand tells me they are doing something right. As soon as they have thousands of articles sitting in some warehouse, the prices will have to rise to cover costs. Basic supply chain math.

Keep up the good work, KUIU!

(They aren't perfect, BTW, but nobody is. They are better than most, by a long way.)

I agree with the original poster.

I have bought a crap load of gear from them. In the last year or two I've become disenchanted for exactly the same reasons. Nothing ever in stock. Production moved from Canada to China. One of their main selling points when they started that it was all made by the best mills in North America. Nope, no longer.

I still think it's great stuff - if and when you can find it - but i, too, have seen the quality and consistency go downhill. Kuiu used to be heads and tails above anything else in the market. It's too bad. I'm willing to pay extra for the quality.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Never had a single prob with KUIU. I also own thousands of dollars of their gear. I had one pair of attack pants that were tighter in the crotch than my other pairs but no biggie. I only have the 1850 pack. It's not my primary pack. Great pack though.
How does adding boots, sleeping bags, tents be stretching themselves too thin???? NONE of those are the same material as the clothing! Zamberlan builds the boots, they are in Italy. I have two pair of zamberlan...best boots in the world.
I think there's a bigger problem here? Who or what pissed in your Cheerios???
Did you attend the expo? Have you personally talked to Jason about your issues? Or have you just b!tched about it all over the interweb? If you did attend the expo, my money says you weren't the internet tough guy you are here to their faces.

Traditional >>>------->

Hype the brand, supply a good product, promote USA/canada production, build a loyal customer base. When what comes next is increase profits by moving overseas. the sell the company and move on to another business adventure. Sound familiar.

I like first lite for my tops( shirts and hoodies and such. My bottoms and jackets/coats are all kuiu. Never had a problem and didn't wait for anything. I like their pants a lot more than first lites. Way more durable. I went on one backing trip and my pant were literally shredded and yes this was with their new zero rip or whatever they call it. Pretty disappointing when pay 170 bucks for them to last 3 days. I love merino wool but not for pants.

I agree with llamapacker... It seems to me that you have some kind of hidden agenda and are just trying to slam them. Based on my experience with Kuiu, which has been the polar opposite to yours, makes me question what your motives are.

I have and use a majority of the Kuiu line and have been nothing but happy with the gear, customer service and shipping times. I have the new zamberlan boots. They are awesome. The new sleeping bag and tents are using cutting edge materials from Toray. If you don't like the gear, don't buy it.

See, this 'hidden agenda' horsesh!t from people is what i was talking about. how dare anyone speak ill of the great KUIU.. smh

KUIU nor people can handle the truth that all gear has areas of concern and call people names because I have personally had issues with KUIU.

Like I stated, I have spent over 7 grand in KUIU gear. I was one of the first people to buy it. I have had a front row seat to everything that has gone on.

You act like you've spent the cash I have and the time I have. you probably bought a pair of attack pants and dont follow a dang thing that goes on over there.

Typical childish reaction from 'the MM know it all club'.

If you havent grown tired of the constant change and lack of product and options, then you havent bought much nor taken the time to dig into what KUIU has done.

I had a good converstaion with Jason at Outdoor expo and Guys at Sitka.

I am no Sitka brand freak. But the info was interesting to say the least.

Matter of a fact, all the camo I own now is KUIU... not for long though.. I'm looking into synthetic mids, wool bases, ect in other places. hows that for 'planting sh!t'...

I own all the gear. only piece i dont have is the quix down.. I dont care for anything down.

Guys on here talking consperacy theorys need to lay off CSI.. planting intel... WTF? Bunch of nuts.

I have no dog in the fight either way, but the people that praise Kuiu in one breath, and bash on Sitka in the next crack me up. I own several pieces of both, but IMHO, the only thing Kuiu does better than Sitka is their bino harness. I carefully checked out all of the Kuiu gear at the Expo and my impression was that quality was not what it was a couple of years ago. Kind of interesting how different peoples opinions can be.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]The pack update was needed, but it does suck about the compatibility
It is harder to get also which can be frustrating.
I love my KUIU and Sitka gear.
Moving to China is pretty typical, but is disappointing.
I do not agree with the quality statement however. I have had great luck with the old and new KUIU stuff.
Merino Wool is great. Not for pants.
Good luck.

I dont know why you guys need all that expensive cloths to go hunting in. Whats wrong with a pair of wranglers and a T shirt. Maybe some warm cloths for here and there.

>See, this 'hidden agenda' horsesh!t from
>people is what i was
>talking about. how dare anyone
>speak ill of the great
>KUIU.. smh
>
>KUIU nor people can handle the
>truth that all gear has
>areas of concern and call
>people names because I have
>personally had issues with KUIU.
>
>
>Like I stated, I have spent
>over 7 grand in KUIU
>gear. I was one of
>the first people to buy
>it. I have had a
>front row seat to everything
>that has gone on.
>
>You act like you've spent the
>cash I have and the
>time I have. you probably
>bought a pair of attack
>pants and dont follow a
>dang thing that goes on
>over there.
>
>Typical childish reaction from 'the MM
>know it all club'.
>
>
>If you havent grown tired of
>the constant change and lack
>of product and options, then
>you havent bought much nor
>taken the time to dig
>into what KUIU has done.
>
>
>I had a good converstaion with
>Jason at Outdoor expo and
>Guys at Sitka.
>
>I am no Sitka brand freak.
>But the info was interesting
>to say the least.
>
>Matter of a fact, all the
>camo I own now is
>KUIU... not for long though..
>I'm looking into synthetic mids,
>wool bases, ect in other
>places. hows that for 'planting
>sh!t'...
>
>I own all the gear. only
>piece i dont have is
>the quix down.. I dont
>care for anything down.
>
>Guys on here talking consperacy theorys
>need to lay off CSI..
>planting intel... WTF? Bunch of
>nuts.

7 grand? Must of got one helluva backpay check from the gov.

>See, this 'hidden agenda' horsesh!t from
>people is what i was
>talking about. how dare anyone
>speak ill of the great
>KUIU.. smh
>
>KUIU nor people can handle the
>truth that all gear has
>areas of concern and call
>people names because I have
>personally had issues with KUIU.
>
>
>Like I stated, I have spent
>over 7 grand in KUIU
>gear. I was one of
>the first people to buy
>it. I have had a
>front row seat to everything
>that has gone on.
>
>You act like you've spent the
>cash I have and the
>time I have. you probably
>bought a pair of attack
>pants and dont follow a
>dang thing that goes on
>over there.
>
>Typical childish reaction from 'the MM
>know it all club'.
>
>
>If you havent grown tired of
>the constant change and lack
>of product and options, then
>you havent bought much nor
>taken the time to dig
>into what KUIU has done.
>
>
>I had a good converstaion with
>Jason at Outdoor expo and
>Guys at Sitka.
>
>I am no Sitka brand freak.
>But the info was interesting
>to say the least.
>
>Matter of a fact, all the
>camo I own now is
>KUIU... not for long though..
>I'm looking into synthetic mids,
>wool bases, ect in other
>places. hows that for 'planting
>sh!t'...
>
>I own all the gear. only
>piece i dont have is
>the quix down.. I dont
>care for anything down.
>
>Guys on here talking consperacy theorys
>need to lay off CSI..
>planting intel... WTF? Bunch of
>nuts.

Holy hell, you're calling us/me nuts??? Lmfao!!!
What's the real story here??? What's your beef? Seems pretty "nuts" to spend 7k+ on gear you can't stand.
Did the gear fail you? Seriously what's the REAL story behind your rant?
I've also been front and center since KUIU started. One of the first to order as well. Get over yourself.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]Get off jasons d!ck already.. its pathetic. you get all mad! haha.. give me a break. There's a sucker born every minute. I got sucked into the hype and stepped back and took a good long look.
keep living in that fantasy world slick. You gettin all mad... lmao Pathetic.

Gotta love you tax payers paying for my gear. Thanks!! Its called serving the country we live in. try it sometime. (directed at sarcastic azz 'NotSoHardaway' a couple posts up) Keep payin those taxes!! Piss ya off your all also paying for Obamacare with those taxes.. :)

>>See, this 'hidden agenda' horsesh!t from
>>people is what i was
>>talking about. how dare anyone
>>speak ill of the great
>>KUIU.. smh
>>
>>KUIU nor people can handle the
>>truth that all gear has
>>areas of concern and call
>>people names because I have
>>personally had issues with KUIU.
>>
>>
>>Like I stated, I have spent
>>over 7 grand in KUIU
>>gear. I was one of
>>the first people to buy
>>it. I have had a
>>front row seat to everything
>>that has gone on.
>>
>>You act like you've spent the
>>cash I have and the
>>time I have. you probably
>>bought a pair of attack
>>pants and dont follow a
>>dang thing that goes on
>>over there.
>>
>>Typical childish reaction from 'the MM
>>know it all club'.
>>
>>
>>If you havent grown tired of
>>the constant change and lack
>>of product and options, then
>>you havent bought much nor
>>taken the time to dig
>>into what KUIU has done.
>>
>>
>>I had a good converstaion with
>>Jason at Outdoor expo and
>>Guys at Sitka.
>>
>>I am no Sitka brand freak.
>>But the info was interesting
>>to say the least.
>>
>>Matter of a fact, all the
>>camo I own now is
>>KUIU... not for long though..
>>I'm looking into synthetic mids,
>>wool bases, ect in other
>>places. hows that for 'planting
>>sh!t'...
>>
>>I own all the gear. only
>>piece i dont have is
>>the quix down.. I dont
>>care for anything down.
>>
>>Guys on here talking consperacy theorys
>>need to lay off CSI..
>>planting intel... WTF? Bunch of
>>nuts.
>
>Holy hell, you're calling us/me nuts???
>Lmfao!!!
>What's the real story here??? What's
>your beef? Seems pretty "nuts"
>to spend 7k+ on gear
>you can't stand.
>Did the gear fail you? Seriously
>what's the REAL story behind
>your rant?
>I've also been front and center
>since KUIU started. One of
>the first to order as
>well. Get over yourself.
>
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Dreaminbout just curious what kuiu gear you have and what sizes? Are they for sale cheap since they aren't worth it?

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-14
>AT 10:44?PM (MST)

>
>Get off jasons d!ck already.. its
>pathetic. you get all mad!
>haha.. give me a break.
>There's a sucker born every
>minute. I got sucked into
>the hype and stepped back
>and took a good long
>look.
>keep living in that fantasy world
>slick. You gettin all mad...
>lmao Pathetic.
>
>Gotta love you tax payers paying
>for my gear. Thanks!! Its
>called serving the country we
>live in. try it sometime.
> (directed at sarcastic azz
>'NotSoHardaway' a couple posts up)
>Keep payin those taxes!! Piss
>ya off your all also
>paying for Obamacare with those
>taxes.. :)
>
>>>See, this 'hidden agenda' horsesh!t from
>>>people is what i was
>>>talking about. how dare anyone
>>>speak ill of the great
>>>KUIU.. smh
>>>
>>>KUIU nor people can handle the
>>>truth that all gear has
>>>areas of concern and call
>>>people names because I have
>>>personally had issues with KUIU.
>>>
>>>
>>>Like I stated, I have spent
>>>over 7 grand in KUIU
>>>gear. I was one of
>>>the first people to buy
>>>it. I have had a
>>>front row seat to everything
>>>that has gone on.
>>>
>>>You act like you've spent the
>>>cash I have and the
>>>time I have. you probably
>>>bought a pair of attack
>>>pants and dont follow a
>>>dang thing that goes on
>>>over there.
>>>
>>>Typical childish reaction from 'the MM
>>>know it all club'.
>>>
>>>
>>>If you havent grown tired of
>>>the constant change and lack
>>>of product and options, then
>>>you havent bought much nor
>>>taken the time to dig
>>>into what KUIU has done.
>>>
>>>
>>>I had a good converstaion with
>>>Jason at Outdoor expo and
>>>Guys at Sitka.
>>>
>>>I am no Sitka brand freak.
>>>But the info was interesting
>>>to say the least.
>>>
>>>Matter of a fact, all the
>>>camo I own now is
>>>KUIU... not for long though..
>>>I'm looking into synthetic mids,
>>>wool bases, ect in other
>>>places. hows that for 'planting
>>>sh!t'...
>>>
>>>I own all the gear. only
>>>piece i dont have is
>>>the quix down.. I dont
>>>care for anything down.
>>>
>>>Guys on here talking consperacy theorys
>>>need to lay off CSI..
>>>planting intel... WTF? Bunch of
>>>nuts.
>>
>>Holy hell, you're calling us/me nuts???
>>Lmfao!!!
>>What's the real story here??? What's
>>your beef? Seems pretty "nuts"
>>to spend 7k+ on gear
>>you can't stand.
>>Did the gear fail you? Seriously
>>what's the REAL story behind
>>your rant?
>>I've also been front and center
>>since KUIU started. One of
>>the first to order as
>>well. Get over yourself.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Traditional >>>------->

You still haven't answered the question... What's the real story behind your mindless rant? And show me where I got "all mad"? You sound like that guy that'll find fault in everything you are part of in life. It's always someone's fault but yours, right?

Traditional >>>------->

I'd call 7k in gear something different than sucked in. :)
Remember you started this rant. What did you expect? Everyone to lay down and agree with your opinion?

Traditional >>>------->

It is really unfortunate that the production went to china. kuiu has the ability to stand alone in high quality clothing. People are looking for clothing that they can count on being the best! They are willing to pay for it too! If it starts looking like it's made right out of the same factory that makes rubber dog sh!t, the kuiu party will not last long! I have some of their gear and love it. I sure hope it doesn't die due to cheap labor!!!

I was really interested in their bino harness. A good buddy of mine ordered one, and said I could try it out. Well 1.5 months later when it finally showed up (out of stock) I had moved on. Seemed like a good harness though.

Jason's side of the story is that they had to move the production to China to keep up with demand. It hasn't seemed to help, though, as probably 3 or 4 times in the last year I went to their site to buy something and they were out of stock.

That's one of the problems of a start up business, though, right? You get what you get.

I'll also say that they are in fact over-sensitive on their forum. I've made a couple of observations that were never posted or quickly deleted that weren't even very critical. If you go to the kuiu forum, expect 100% pro kuiu talk. That's jason's right as the owner of the business to run it that way, but it would also be nice to have open and honest dialog to improve the product.

Kuiu is still the best stuff on the market, IMO, but I'm not as hard core sold on them as I once was.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

I've bought a few things from Kuiu recently, but haven't had a real chance to use them. The other day I was organizing some hunting stuff and saw that one of the Kuiu labels said "Made in China." Due to that I probably won't be buying any more stuff. It's very hard to buy ONLY USA made products, but when it comes to my hunting gear I always try to keep i USA made! Plus why should I pay such a premium for something that costs them pennies to make in China?

agreed. I had the same observations. Those that have followed KUIU.. not Mel Gibson's I mean horseshitcreek, cause his psyco rant is irrelivent, remember the first year some consumers were having issues with some gear and went to the KUIU website for help and answers from other consumers and Jason had all the posts deleted that had any information regarding gear issues.

He jumped on and stated it wouldn't happen again.. low and behold it did happen again. I watched the next round of posts get deleted quickly that had any negative even in the slightest remarks about something that went wrong with their gear.

I at one point received an email from a buddy that he copied from a Mod on KUIU. It was pretty bad. He attacked my buddy over a comment he had made about which camo pattern to chose. He stated on KUIU that he picked Vias because he felt the digital Verde camo didnt break up the human outline as well as the Vias.

He was told that he had received a warning over the post. That is ridiculous.

You'll have some like Mel Gibson AKA Hosecreek that feel like KUIU is this wet dream of hunting gear. Then you have those that hate KUIU because they are like Horsecreek with other companies like Sitka, Cabelas, act.. Then you have those like me and many others that have posted on here that have kept an open mind, gave them a chance and watched the decline. We have eventually gotten sick of it all. Growing pains? Not anymore. Many have made the observation KUIU is stretching themselves thin. This isn't some High demand issue either.

When they took away the Spindrift and left consumers with the only option of Quix down, that was wrong. No explanation of why. They went on outlet in various colors for quite a while.

So while KUIU won't keep items in stock and the wait time is ridiculous.. they go out and produce more products they won't keep in stock.. it's a vicious cycle.

In my original post I did not call them names, degrade them like some nuts that have posted would like for you to believe.

I also stated they make some good gear. I guess some can't keep an open mind about things. I have seen many consumers get tired of KUIU Due to the issues I stated in my OP.

If you can't handle the honest opinions of others experiences with the company, & do it in a civil manner, I'll be glad to meet you in a public place and we can discuss it further. Mel (horsecreek) made a childish comment about speaking like that to someone's face.. name the time and place bud. I'd be more than happy to reiterate what I have already stated to your face. I have nothing to hide. I'll even bring some of the gear I have problems with and I'll let you buy them cheap.. you'll need to get the stitching fixed, zippers, and the carbon fiber frame that cracked replaced.. But since they ddon't make the 1st gen frame anymore to go with the 3000 pack, I guess you'll have to try and find an after market one or put it on some other companies frame.

Can you be civil horsecreek?? Doubt it.

>tthhad to move
>the production to China to
>keep up with demand. It
>hasn't seemed to help, though,
>as probably 3 or 4
>times in the last year
>I went to their site
>to buy something and they
>were out of stock.
>
>That's one of the problems of
>a start up business, though,
>right? You get what you
>get.
>
>I'll also say that they are
>in fact over-sensitive on their
>forum. I've made a couple
>of observations that were never
>posted or quickly deleted that
>weren't even very critical. If
>you go to the kuiu
>forum, expect 100% pro kuiu
>talk. That's jason's right as
>the owner of the business
>to run it that way,
>but it would also be
>nice to have open and
>honest dialog to improve the
>product.
>
>Kuiu is still the best stuff
>on the market, IMO, but
>I'm not as hard core
>sold on them as I
>once was.
>
>Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

These are common issues with almost all growing businesses in their first 5-7 years. The ones that work them out survive, the ones that can't go away.

He's getting a lesson in pack frame construction. Knowing friends that have snapped several of theirs, they've finally given up on the "we'll review it" and they just replace them.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-14 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]>Have you tried warrantee work with
>them?

I sure have. Problem again with supply. If something of mine failed & it did.. the item was not in stock, backorder was full and the wait for the item was a year. By the time the replacements came, it had been 14 months. Yikes.

I'm just trying to give people a heads up potential problems with the company because you can't get truthful information about products on their forum. You can't post anything now unless it is kissing KUIU's rear end on their website. Any issues with items/company can only be found off their site now days.

Perception control on KUIU.com has become obvious.

Anyone can go back through the search here and see my prior years comments in other threads on KUIU.. I praised them. Horsecreek and other CSI'ers.. go take a look.

Where was I so uncivil? Did I hurt your feel bads? You are the one who started this butt hurt rant. In your opinion if I/we have a good experience with KUIU I'm on Jason's d!ck, or the other names you're calling me??? I don't defend KUIU blindly. I've just never had an issue with their gear. Your rant went on without anything to back it up. Now that you've laid it out its understandable in your case. My case and many others is positive.

Traditional >>>------->

The only negative I have experienced is the super down jacket. I was extremely disappointed with the quality... For the price paid$$$$ KUIU appears to be making HUGE profits on that jacket. I felt it was worth about 20 bucks!! I have worn it enough that I have a 1/2 roll of gorilla tape on it to keep the feathers in. I will stick to the brooks range jacket from Barnies sports chalet.

I am not going to give up on them yet, but if the quality follows in cabela's or walmarts path and all I am paying for is marketing, I will be done. I will spend my money on Arcteryx and at Barnies in Alaska.

KUIU needs to make the commitment to HIGH quality or NOTHING!!! and STICK TO IT!!!!

How thick is your skull? I said I have had a good experience with KUIU. Why would I bag on a company that has satisfied my needs? I also validated your rant in my last post since you laid out your concerns and problems. Are you reading my posts? Why would I read a bunch of negative posts on KUIU when all my gear has been great? It's not an issue with me or my gear.
I also don't care if you praised KUIU in the past. What does that matter? I wanted to know, along with others what your real beef was with KUIU. As soon as someone questioned you, you turned into a 12 year old girl.
I don't visit the KUIU forums either. The reason is cuz there are a bunch of guys that do believe KUIU does no wrong. I could give a sh!t less how KUIU runs their site. If they have something to hide it'll come out soon enough. I will still wear the gear I've bought. It keeps me warm, and dry and it's super comfy. If I have a problem with my gear I'll take it to KUIU instead of a forum ranting without any direction.

Traditional >>>------->

i wonder what all the old timers who killed piles of elk and deer in a pair of jeans and a wool shirt would think about all of this....

Coloradoboy

The one and only piece of Sitka gear I own was made is China.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

This has nothing to do with KUIU!

But!

I'm SICK & F'N Tired of CHINA Built TRASH!

Bunch of JUNK!

And there Ain't much Choice!

Plastic Zippers that I can easily Destroy in one day in the Field!

Had a Guy at the EXPO Hollar at me that was selling a Well Brand of CAMO,You'd need some of this!

I said:

Show me some Metal Zippers & I'll think about it!

He couldn't do it!

Did I Mention I'm SICK of CHINA Built GARBAGE?

Again,this Rant has nothing to do with KUIU!

Just looks like there's lots of people that'd pay a little extra for a better built product that was built Right Here in the U.S. of A.!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I think some of you guys way over think hunting clothes.

Some of us laugh when we see a guy with head to toe matching camo, glove and a hat. Like a woman dressed him.

Marketing does wonders, I guess that is why they do it.

I wonder if you guys ever evaluate your way of thinking. Kuiu and even Stika for that matter never was marketed to the Carhart Wrangler crowd. It was made and marketed for the individual's on fly in hunts and the real backpack hunter. If your limited to 50lbs of gear or your packing 5 days worth of equipment on your person I highly doubt Wrangers and Carhart products are going to work.

Kuiu was up front from the very beginning that they would push the limits of technology in an attempt to produce the lightest gear possible. And to keep the prices within reason it would only be sold factory direct. And don't give me all this American made spew. Think about it, guys have no problem dropping 500 bones on a new I-Phone or $250 on a trail cam every two or three years but, complain about breakage on a five year old pack. If you want the latest and greatest plan to spend the cash every few years. Otherwise buy a heavy MR or Kifaru pack. Where in the he11 do you think 99% of the products you use everyday are made?? Ya spout off about American made this or that but when it comes down to forking over the greenbacks your integrity isn't as high as your pedestal. The American made rant died with Jesus.

Jump on First Lite, Sitka, or Kuiu's site right now and see how many items they have in stock in the normal sizes and popular patterns. Yup, that's right all of them are out of stock. They have sales projections every year and when the stock is gone it's gone until the following season. And the coolness factor shouldn't outweigh common sense. I personally never buy a new innovative product the first year or two it comes out for the same reason I never buy a new vehicle with unproven technology. This is a personal risk the consumer takes.

Super light hunting gear is a consumable product. Look at it this way, if you were climbing Mount Everest every 5 years, and your life might depend on this gear, would you want 5 year old technology. I believe that is the attitude of Kuiu. There will be some failures along the way. Stika hasn't changed much in the last 5 years, but their gear cost 30% more. I personally prefer certain pieces from each company along with some First Lite stuff. The animals don't care if your camo matches.

Kuiu is basically a custom shop with a small staff. It isn't backed by a giant corporation like Gore. It's more like going to a custom rifle builder vs buying an off the shelf Remington. It takes the better part of a year to build a rifle and another several months to dial it in. There will be issues to work out.

Ya spent 7K on several generations of Kuiu gear and now your essentially saying it all sucks. Think about it for a minute....... How much credibility is a person going to give your claim if it took 7 grand to figure out a product is junk. Now if you would have said my pack broke and it took Kuiu 14 months to replace or I ordered X numbers of items and they didn't fit like the Canadian made products then it would be more understandable. It's your money and ya certainly have the right to spend it elsewhere, but keep in mind ya probably just hurt the resale value on your 7K investment.

I'm retired, and cook in the fall for an outfitter,and it's entertaining to see all the different outfits these guys wear.It's a toss-up with sitka and kuiu. I myself have both,but my kuiu is the older style made in Canada. Ive had two sitka packs,and they were total CRAP! Ive gone to the eberlestock J-34,and love it. I just got a kuiu cataloge sent to me in the mail today as a matter of fact. And looks like everything is in stock,or so they say..

I follow Kuiu on instagram and I thought the guys who don't hate Kuiu might enjoy some of these pictures of them testing out the durability of the new Ultra frame. It looks solid! They have pics driving a truck over it, standing 230 pounds on it bridged between 2 pickup tailgates, 175 pounds of hanging weight doing a pull up with the frame over a fence and carrying a guy on the frame. It looks like they had some fun doing it.

http://instagram.com/kuiu_official

I personally like the fact that Kuiu is striving to continue evolving and making better gear. They make cutting edge gear. That is what they said they were going to do from the beginning and that is what they have done.

If I am going into a remote place and having to rely on my gear I want the best gear that is available. Technology is continually advancing and so should the products. If they figure out a way to make something better it would be stupid to keep doing it the old way.

Like others have said all other industries are constantly coming out with new technology. There is always a new phone, computer, car, tv etc. that is coming out because new technology is available. Why should the hunting industry be any different?

so.....buying hunting crap is now considered an investment huh????

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

I've used Kuiu gear since the beginning as well and have my share of it. My original Guide (Canada) jacket is still one of my favorite garments of all time. Even with years of use it is in remarkably good condition. I'm sold on Toray softshell fabrics. I also have one of the newer Guide DCS (China) jackets and while the fabrics are still as good (except some of the trim - the collar lining material is junk...), to my untrained-eye the manufacture quality is not quite as good as the original. Of course I only have a sample of 2 jackets so who knows.

Like the original poster, I am surprised that Kuiu would take on boots, tents and sleeping bags, all withing a year no less. But hey, it's Jason company and he can do as he sees fit. I just have a hard time thinking Kuiu can compete with Western Mountaineering, Lowa, Hilleburg, et. al. on a sustainable scale.

The inventory issue to me is Kuiu's biggest problem. There are currently a couple of items I would like to purchase, but they haven't been in stock since fall and no one can tell me if and when they will be. And please don't recommend I get on the "waiting" list. I have been on the waiting list in the past and I still get ticked when I think about it. Their lack of transparency/honesty nearly ruined a hunt for me a couple of years ago, being told items would get to me only to have them delayed, multiple times. Kuiu is not a new company anymore and it's disappointing they can't get their inventory under control.

Despite all this, I still think they make some of the best technical clothing available.

I cant believe a few things:

1. Why do you care sooooo much? Move on, why even get on the internet and go on a rant?
2. Why do you guys pay $200 for a pair of pants and $300 for boots? My $200 Danner boots are waterproof and comfortable. My pants are just $30 pants from the local store. I shoot bucks as big as yours. Why all the hype about expensive clothes.
3. I looked at their gear on their site and they are too expensive. I can by the same gear for less money elsewhere.

You act like little girls fighting over their waaaaaay tooooo expensive favorite makeup line.

It's not about the gear.

If you had worn a pair of Wranglers and put your $7000 in Kuiu gear into a private ranch tag you could have had a 410" bull elk.

Get off your fancy pant rant and go get your boots dirty.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 01:07PM (MST)[p]This type of gear is really not intended for casual deer hunting. It's for use in strenuous mountain hiking and hunting scenarios. Several years ago I made the mistake of wearing denim pants and cotton shirt on a high-country backpack scouting trip. I shouldn't have been surprised when the denim and cotton got soaked with sweat, and wouldn't dry out or breathe. Where the backpack belt was clamped around my soaking wet mid-drift, I actually developed welts on my waist line severe enough that it left scars. If I'd gotten injured or stranded on that solo hike 10 miles into the wilderness, I could've been in a world of hurt in that soaking wet clothing.

Still, even though I'm a backpacking hunt fanatic, I haven't gotten into these high-priced "technical gear" lines. I feel they're more about "gotta-havit" marketing hype, than a legitimate performance edge. My inexpensive Microtex pants have been through 100+ machine wash cycles and basically still look as good as new. The fabric is breathable, tough, and dries fast. For uppers, a low-cost breathable lightweight layering system serves me well, along with lightweight fleece jacket, or in colder conditions a slightly heavier jacket with wind-breaking liner. And then if it rains, a set of packable rain-gear is always in my pack. If ever I discover any drawbacks to this system, I'll look closer at one of these 'technical lines'. Meantime the money I save goes toward more tags and more hunts!

Look,

I hunt the high back country too.

I hunt above 10,000 feet in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, and this year possibly Idaho.

You don't need this expensive clothing.

I pack in with a external frame pack from Jansport that my dad gave me 21 years ago.

I sleep in -20 degree temps on top of the Rubies in Nevada in a cheap -20 degree bag with a fleece liner.

I hunt in a $95 pair of "waterproof" pants from Cabelas.

A good pair of GoreTex boots will run about $150.

That's it. That's all you need. I have been hunting the back country away from roads for over twenty years with basic gear. My first binos were Bushnell.....my binos today are top end Bushnell.

It doesn't take Swarovski and Sitka. It takes patience and a lot of time in the field. Spend less on gear and take more days off work.

>I cant believe a few things:
>
>
>1. Why do you care
>sooooo much? Move
>on, why even get on
>the internet and go on
>a rant?
>2. Why do you guys
>pay $200 for a pair
>of pants and $300 for
>boots? My $200 Danner
>boots are waterproof and comfortable.
> My pants are
>just $30 pants from the
>local store. I shoot
>bucks as big as yours.
> Why all the
>hype about expensive clothes.
>3. I looked at their
>gear on their site and
>they are too expensive.
> I can by the
>same gear for less money
>elsewhere.
>
>You act like little girls fighting
>over their waaaaaay tooooo expensive
>favorite makeup line.
>
>It's not about the gear.
>
>If you had worn a pair
>of Wranglers and put your
>$7000 in Kuiu gear into
>a private ranch tag you
>could have had a 410"
>bull elk.
>
>Get off your fancy pant rant
>and go get your boots
>dirty.

lmao!

They make some good stuff but rarely have anything in stock so I dont wait. He tried to sell the move to China as a way to improve availability of product....give me a break. Other options out there, nothing to get worked up about.

Gunnie pretty much summed it up for me as well, but here is an old guy's take.
I killed a boat load of animals wearing a pair of jeans and a surplus army coat, so hunting cloths are all relative. However, in my old age I have a real hard time putting on jeans to go hunt because my sitka/kuiu gear is so much lighter and more comfortable.
It all has it's place and it is what we get used to. I originally bought it because I was going on a backpack sheep hunt. Now I am spoiled.
If I need something badly I will order it and wait. Otherwise my jeans will have to do.

Trashnmass I guess you wont be missing a thing until you try on some Kuiu or Sitka pants. And please don't buy Swaros, the bucks get a lot smaller when you can actually see them.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14
>AT 01:07?PM (MST)

>
>This type of gear is really
>not intended for casual deer
>hunting. It's for use in
>strenuous mountain hiking and hunting
>scenarios. Several years ago I
>made the mistake of wearing
>denim pants and cotton shirt
>on a high-country backpack scouting
>trip. I shouldn't have been
>surprised when the denim and
>cotton got soaked with sweat,
>and wouldn't dry out or
>breathe. Where the backpack belt
>was clamped around my soaking
>wet mid-drift, I actually developed
>welts on my waist line
>severe enough that it left
>scars. If I'd gotten injured
>or stranded on that solo
>hike 10 miles into the
>wilderness, I could've been in
>a world of hurt in
>that soaking wet clothing.

I have heard tampons soak up moisture pretty well. Maybe try those next time. :D

>Look,
>
>You don't need this expensive clothing.
>
>I pack in with a external
>frame pack from Jansport that
>my dad gave me 21
>years ago.
>
>I sleep in -20 degree temps
>on top of the Rubies
>in Nevada in a cheap
>-20 degree bag with a
>fleece liner.
>
>I hunt in a $95 pair
>of "waterproof" pants from Cabelas.
>
>A good pair of GoreTex boots
>will run about $150.
>
>That's it. That's all
>you need.

No Shirt???

I have never tried high end hunting clothing until last season. I put together a collection of Sitka via eBay, for less than half price, took about 6 moths of eBaying. I also purchased a Kuiu backpack with 2 bags. I love all of it! I cut about 15lbs of weight, I can walk my ass off from 0-40 degrees and not get cold or hot, if I do sweat it dries quickly, my wife loves the knee pads in her Sitka pants, I ate $hit walking down a steep hill and didn't rip my pants or jacket. I have not tried Kuiu clothing and probably won't because I love my Sitka.

>
>
>I have heard tampons soak up
>moisture pretty well. Maybe try
>those next time. :D

Props for your bravery to 'come out' as an expert on feminine hygiene products :D

Like most topics of this nature, it gets turned into something other than what it started out to be. LBH mentioned something that I forgot in my original post. An extra 5-10lbs means a lot more to a 47 year old than it does to a 35 year old. What you might feel is unnecessary at 35 years old becomes a "don't leave home without it" item at 45. Some of it is due to more financial stability and sometimes it's due to physical needs like fading eyesight. When ya think about it, it's nothing but an entertainment lifestyle and the personal comfort level of the person being entertained.

Regarding the made in China issue.

I have about twenty five shell layer jacket/pant sets hanging in my gear room (I test/review them side by side) and I think that they represent the best the market has had to offer over the past five years. Names like Arcteryx, Patagonia, Wildthings, Propper, Marmot, The North Face, Sitka Gear, Kuiu, First Lite, Cabelas, Integral Designs, Russell Outdoor, Adventure Tech, Rivers West, etc.

All but one, Wild Things, is made outside of the US in places like China, Vietnam, Canada and Thailand. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think it matters now what country the product is made. The difference is in what specific house is doing the sewing, the design parameters set out by the company and most importantly the quality control after it is made but before the item goes out to the customer. My US made Wild Things is nearly perfect in terms of construction but so is the Arcteryx that was made in China.

The real issue for me is who is minding the store and how anal retentive obsessive compulsive are they about doing the best possible job for the end user.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Good Comment Wade. It is great to see you post again.

I agree with you 100%. China can kick out exceptional stuff when the parent companies demand it.

In the 70s everyone bitched about the quality of Japanese made stuff, then all of a sudden we realized that their quality was better than ours.

Leaving the politics out of it, it really just comes down to the quality controls in place at the factories.

Those 8 year old kids can kick out some pretty nice stuff. :)

Dirtygrass says, "my wife loves the knee pads in her Sitka pants"
Don't let any clubhouse members know there are pants with knee pads built in!

Traditional >>>------->

Some maroon spent 7 grand on some fashion hunting apparel? Good grief I don't think I've spent that much on clothes in 3 decades.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-14 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]>Some maroon spent 7 grand on
>some fashion hunting apparel?
>Good grief I don't think
>I've spent that much on
>clothes in 3 decades.

Alright what butt hurt poster went and whinned to a mod and had my post deleted regarding this idiotic notion I hunt private land?? Boohoo.. I've never hunted anything other than public land. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. LMAO

Second.. WTH is a Maroon...? and I sold all my old gear to buy the KUIU... never spent an extra dime to pay for it. Its called swapping.. Poor broke bastard. Not all of us like to be miserable up on the mountain. I know its hard to leave that quad.. but some of us, like me, don't use them and would love to see them banned from hunting unless you're handicapped. :)

Per the Urban Dictionary - Maroon. A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word "Moron".

Just for the record, I didn't delete it.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I'm still on the kuiu band wagon. It's not perfect, but jason Hairiston is doing an incredible job building the company. He did it once w Sitka. He's doing it again w Kuiu. I'm as fascinated by the brand from an entrepreneurial standpoint as much as I am from a gear standpoint.

I wonder how the folks at Sitka feel about him. Probably wish he'd retire!!

Never heard of the brand. I will stick with the carharts and cheap stuff at wally world that does the exact same job

Gznokes

You got the band wagon part exactly right but the rest is fuzzy math. Jason can certainly be proud of the part he played at Sitka but as I recall it was not a one man show and the rest of those people are still there making great products. Not sure why some people are so interested in making it an us or them thing but what ever trips your trigger. I hope both brands do well.

Dryflyelk

Thanks. Not dead just busy.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

What does a $7,000.00 wardrobe of this stuff consist of? Do the tops match the bottoms? Gotta be super stylish. Chicks must gravitate toward a man in something that sweet.

I have done business in China in regards to manufacturing. People who here the word China automatically associate it with cheap. While there is a lot of cheap stuff made in China, there is also a lot of quality stuff made there. Some of the top names in Mountaineering equipment like Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, North Face, ect all manufacture the bulk of their stuff in China or other Asian countries. My $400 Mountain Hardwear down sleeping bag that has served me well, all over the west including AK is made in, you guessed it, China. Most people associate Costco with Quality (I realize there are exceptions). Do the China test next time you are in Costco by randomly picking up 10 items and looking at the label on the back. Eight out of ten will be made in China.Unfortunately it's next to impossible to have a lucrative manufacturing company in the US, thanks in large part to over regulation by our own government. I wouldn't bail on KUIU just because it moved operations to China. I'd wager that 90% of all fabric related hunting items are manufactured in the Orient. The question is will KUIU stand behind their clothing?

>Horsecreek, I didn't think anyone would
>catch that. I made myself
>laugh.

Well, how do you like her pants?:)

Traditional >>>------->

For those that dispute the need for "high dollar" hunting cloths I have this to say, "Don't knock it until you try it."

My first out of state elk hunt was in 1977. I had jeans, wools shirts, etc. And froze my a$$ off. But I was young, tough and didn't know any better.

Then I up graded to the local Army/Navy surplus stores. Quality Italian Army wool pants, WOW!!

Then is was whatever Cabelas offered. Mostly I was happy with their stuff.

2 years ago I bought a pair of Sitka pants, another last year. Great "investment." The 90%ers are great for hiking steep stuff in warm weather, sitting still waiting for that bull to come to your call, or the couple of 100 miles I put on them chukar hunting this year.

I still wear wool, cotton, etc depending on the weather but @ 54 I'm not into shedding clothes or carrying clothes I don't need. I plan on how I'm hunting, then decide what to wear and carry a packable rain coat if rain/snow is forecast.

I couldn't justify paying the type of money top quality clothing costs when i was in my 20s or 30s. But now it's worth every dime.

I still don't quite understand the cultish, everything is absolutely wonderful, devotion to anything and everything thing Kuiu. Either they have a lot of outspoken stockholders or I was doing something else when the Kool Aid was served.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Well, I have to tell you that based on some things that have happened over the past 60 days I now see WL Gore and by extension Sitka Gear in a completely different light. The big corporate mentality strikes again. I couldn't be more surprised or more disappointed.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I stand behind my reviews and recommendations but lets just say that I have been giving company management more credit than it deserves.

I take issue with their sizing (and their media guy agrees with me BTW), I question some of their claims, and I think they could do a better job of returning my phone calls but the founder of Kuiu at least appears to be in charge of and fully engaged with running of his company.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I just dont get it either. My Microtex does everything I need it to and then some. Seems like its gonna last forever too. I wore one pair of Microtex pants on a 10 day AK Brown Bear tent hunt, walking 5-7 miles/day in rain, wind, snow, sleet, etc.....
Performed flawlessly. No need to buy overpriced yuppy hunter stuff.

>I just dont get it either.
>My Microtex does everything I
>need it to and then
>some. Seems like its gonna
>last forever too. I wore
>one pair of Microtex pants
>on a 10 day AK
>Brown Bear tent hunt, walking
>5-7 miles/day in rain, wind,
>snow, sleet, etc.....
>Performed flawlessly. No need to buy
>overpriced yuppy hunter stuff.

Yuppy hunter stuff.... lmao... what a tool.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-14 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]That's like saying those cellular telephones are just yuppy business stuff. I mean what do we need those new fangled cell phones fer when we have perfectly good wired ones from Ma Bell at home, right?

Come on. It isn't that cut and dried. There is a place for the new technology just as much as there is for the old wool and Levis. Then there are those times when either is wholly inappropriate for a given situation.

A real live honest to God master outdoorsman might be able to do everything with the the old stuff but it would not be easy and there are damn few of those around anyway.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

SPAZ,

I can't believe you actually took a goat in Montana with those clothes. Just think of how large of a Mountain Goat you could have taken if you were really comfortable and in camo. Great pic in B&C magazine, remember, you are #2 so next time try harder. Good luck in the draws

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-14 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-14 AT 04:45?PM (MST)

I will say this about WL Gore. They are masters of marketing.Truthfully, there are equal or better products than
Gor-tex.

News flash for those saying they won't buy KUIU now thats it's made in China. Just curious what your going to buy especially considering Sitka, and almost every brand of hunting clothing sold in Cabelas, Sportsmens, or anywhere else for that matter is also made in Asia.I guess you could always go back to wearing cotton clothing..............which, in large part, is also made in Asia.

I have not yet put KUIU to the test but I've tried some of their pieces on and inspected the quality. Looked to be as good as Sitka. Jason, who was one of the Cofounders of Sitka, has done a great job of putting together a product line that seems to be widely accepted and endorsed by the hunters who have used it. I don't persoanlly know the guy, but I admire his drive and passion.

Bottom line; synthetics have revolutionized the outdoor clothing industry and outdoorsman, and hunters alike,are better off because of it.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-14
>AT 01:08?PM (MST)

>
>That's like saying those cellular telephones
>are just yuppy business stuff.
> I mean what do
>we need those new fangled
>cell phones fer when we
>have perfectly good wired ones
>from Ma Bell at home,
>right?
>
>Come on. It isn't that
>cut and dried. There
>is a place for the
>new technology just as much
>as there is for the
>old wool and Levis.
>Then there are those times
>when either is wholly inappropriate
>for a given situation.
>
>A real live honest to God
>master outdoorsman might be able
>to do everything with the
>the old stuff but it
>would not be easy and
>there are damn few of
>those around anyway.
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Cell phones? There is probably only a handful of gentleman on the site who didn't have to Google the "Ma-Bell" reference. Remember dial up with party-lines, only five tv stations, Jeeps and tote goats, and the trusty lever action rifles with open sights.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom