Lack of Calf Elk in NW Wyoming

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
Over the last few days, I have been out wandering around in the areas north of Cody and also into the Sunlight Basin. I saw lots of elk both days. Because of the late snows and weather many are still on their winter range but most appear to be moving west. I have looked over at least 150 cows and have seen only 9 calf elk. Most of those calf elk were in Unit 54. I saw a total of 3 calf elk in the Sunlight after looking at about 100 cow elk. Over the years, this is the fewest calves I have seen by this time of the year. I am hoping that some of the cows haven't given birth yet. The cows I have seen looked healthy and fat. I also had a nice 5x5 mature bull cross in front of me with a smaller raghorn. I know that the population of elk is down in these areas. I also know the likely cause of all this. These areas are as green and lush as I have ever seen them. I wonder what others are seeing in these same areas. I am hoping that my eyes are just bad and that the calf elk are hiding. I saw lots of mule deer including a few average bucks. I will be spending a lot of time hiking for the next months in the Sunlight Basin, North Fork Shoshone, Bald Ridge and the South Fork Shoshone. I will update anyone that is interested in what I am seeing with regards to the population of younger elk.

I know it was a late rut last year from what we were able to tell ove in the Bighorns, so maybe you are right and a bunch of the cows haven't dropped yet. Let's hope that's what the situation is. My buddy has already scouted our area over Mother's Day weekend and he said it is so lush and green this year that it is unreal!

A buddy of mine just returned from a trip to Yellowstone.
The lack of elk calves was the very first thing he noticed.
Sad.

could be the tough winter, or it could be many haven't dropped yet, I saw an elk giving birth in Nevada once, it was around mid june.

I am sure that some calves may have already fallen prey to grizzly bears,wolves and other predators. It is also my understanding, from what I have read and witnessed,that many cow elk are no longer getting bred because of wolf harassment during the rut. I have also heard that wolf harassment on the winter range causes some cow elk to abort their calves. Regardless of the cause, it is my understanding that the cow/calf ratio needs to be at least 100/30 for the elk population to remain viable.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-11 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]>I know it was a late
>rut last year from what
>we were able to tell
>ove in the Bighorns, so
>maybe you are right and
>a bunch of the cows
>haven't dropped yet. Let's
>hope that's what the situation
>is. My buddy has
>already scouted our area over
>Mother's Day weekend and he
>said it is so lush
>and green this year that
>it is unreal!

Topgun I had early to normal action.
It was going hot and heavy by the 8th of september in the bighorns. Elk can be strange sometimes lol

That's weird becaue my buddy hunted long weekends at the start of September and said he thought it looked like they were going to be going hot and heavy by the time I got out there the middle of the month. It was just the opposite and was very slow with very little bugling and all the elk we saw appeared to be more in there summer routine than the rut. Our luck changed when we got out before daylight on the rifle opener and saw a great bull with another smaller one as it started getting light. John shot that bull as soon as it was light enough to see well through his scope and that was the only two we saw that day while packing out the bull.

If my memory serves me right the Wyoming Game and Fish has a article on their web-site about this subject and I believe they are doing a five year study. Drought,wolves and grizzlies.

Scratch

I was out just a few days ago for a quick morning glass and saw four herds of cows. In 3 of the 4 herds, I didn't see a single calf. But, one group of about 20 head included 6-7 calves - it's crazy this year, it feels like early May with all the snow that's still on the ground.

I was up on hiking on the North Fork of the Shoshone today. I saw lots of cow elk and just two calves. Again, not a good sign. There is a ton of snow still in the mountains. I did see a solo cow that I am sure had a calf close but I did not see the calf. The sheep were out hanging on the rocky cliffs south of the river. Tourists were driving by in their haste to get to Jellystone. None even stopped to look at all the sheep.

I have a friend who usually goes to yellowstone 1-2 times a year. Last week they went for a few days. I told her prior to leaving she would be luck to see a Moose. She said that she knows where they hang out. I said I would like a report on everything she saw.
Results are:

Zero moose.
Less elk than previous years, out of the groups of elk seen, one calf.
Decent numbers of Buffalo.
Two bears.

This friend is not a hunter, but was very disappointed in wildlife population numbers and trends.

It would be great if your friend would make comments to the National Park.Maybe if more non-hunters made their feelings known about this,it would give a little more credence to the issue.Her findings are what we in Wyoming have known for some time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom