Lake San Antonio Trip

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Got back yesterday from a three day vacation with the family to San Antonio Lake. We had a blast tubing, swimming and a little bit of fishing. If any of you get the chance to go there you should. You can camp right on the water or in campsites with full hook ups. It is a lot of fun and a good place to vacation.
489b76e45cc23515.jpg

489b77235e5d6ba2.jpg

489b777f616d0d26.jpg

489b77c8637944e7.jpg

Look at that sunset....UNBELIEVABLE!!

Steve

Great pic's Steve! Another vacation huh? didn't you just get back from Disney World Florida? What a life!! I know, i know, got to have that quality time with the family but i'm wanting to see some archery blacktails. How about it buddy, who's gonna do it if you don't? Stick and string one of them critters, will ya?

Joey

Hey Joey- I got out once this year during the bow season. Ya...just too many vacations planned. It's a rough life! Bad thing is I can't make much money while I'm gone...neither can my wife. I can always bow hunt during the rifle season which I normally do until about a week and a half to the end of the season. I think A Zone opens this weekend, the 9th, but I'm not positive. I leave for my Nevada antelope hunt the 21st of August and will be gone until the 26th or so. I lucked out and drew one of the two non-res tags for 132-134, 245 goat hunt.

Are you deer hunting this year? If so, what zone?

Did you get the newsletter I sent out? I think it went out Monday.

Steve

Steve Looks like a good trip buddy!! San Antonio is a great lake to camp. Nice bass by the way!!! Are you going out for the opener. Ill be heading to cuyama and hopefully seeing some deer and not those damn bears!! At least we have a few bears tags just in case! Good luck.

Andy

Steve, Apps on the way. i was very impressed with the newsletter.

So, you're going to Nevada on a lope hunt? Sounds great! hope you get a dandy! Hope you get some good info. No help to offer other than to try and get a Dandy! It is a buck lope hunt right? lol!!

Me, i'm getting a newer camper, one with a bigger door. Most of the gals that wanted to go, seems i only attract the bigger ones, couldn't quite squeeze thru the old door so it was either get new camper or leave the gal friends that would like to go. Tough choice really,lol, but a local friend just bought a new Alaskian so his 5 year old pop-up became available at a decent price and it's much lighter than the old one was.

I'll be hunting all over the C-zones. Me, my camper, and maybe one of my gal friends will be taking several 4-5 day road trips near Doris, McCloud, Burney, and above Old Station. I love going hunting! I don't care diddly about killing a buck, it's the camping, fishing, new people you meet, and getting out on a vantage point where you can see for miles. If a decent buck shows himself, so be it. If not, i'll still have a great time and look forward to better hunts next year.

Joey

It sounds like you've got the right attitude about hunting. It is about getting out, enjoying the surroundings and the good people who love it like you do. I think the older I get the less I need to harvest an animal. It's always nice to but I don't get upset or bummed when I don't. I always have meat in the freezer and I probably always will. My wife doesn't care for it too much so it's just me and the kids eating it. I can't really plan a meal for the whole family so I usually only cook it every couple of weeks or so.

You cracked me up about getting a camper with a bigger door. LOL! Are you getting a cab-over or a pop-up trailer? I've got a pop up trailer and it's perfect. Its light weight, easy to set upm, got a fridge, stove, table and sleeps my family with room to spare. It's a 2001 Coleman Redwood and my wife saw it parked on the way to her friends house for a few months for sale. Every couple of weeks the price would drop. She got it for $2300 (price started at $5500) and this was 3 years ago. She stole it. The people were moving out of state and couldn't take it. I'll never sell that thing. It's too perfect.

I'm glad you liked the newsletter and are becoming a member. Thanks for your support. We're putting on a "Kids Fishing Day in the Park" August 17th which should be cool. There's a big pond at the park and the city lets us stock it with bluegill. Fish now days are not cheap. We're paying $2 per fish! What a rip. I'll let you know how it goes. We've also got a website...SMVSA.org or net...not sure....I forgot. Its pretty basic but what do you expect.

Steve

Thanks Steve, i'm glad you saw the intended humor in that comment. People have said, "big girls need lovin too." well, so do big guys!

Yeah, it's a cabover. I'd like the room of the trailer and with your group, i can see why you really like it so much. Myself, the smaller type cabovers allow me to get back in to some pretty remote country yet sleep, weather, yet have what i need in relitive comfort. I like parking where i get down from the camper and i'm in prime hunting country. I search for these type of spots and return to them year after year. Another positive is breaking camp, it's throw in the chairs and off to the next spot.

My hunting rig is a 82' Chev 4x4, has overloads, and 4 sp. automatic tranny, but is only a 1/2 ton. It's amazing where this rig will go once locked in 4 low, no matter the conditions (i've encountered so far) esp. with the camper on for added traction. At times it acts like it could climb a wall if needed. lol!

I figure that i have been on out of state muley hunts at least 18 years, all of them outa my camper rig, mostly by myself, usually to hunt at least two states. That's a lot of hunting and a lot of good times. These little trips like i'm planning on in the C-zones are nice but just not the same as having a good tag in a great area where the big boys roam those high basins!

Joey

I'll be honest, I never really trusted the cabover type camper for two reasons. 1- they seem too small and cramped inside...unless you are by yourself. 2- I can't see how they don't flip! I'd be so uneasy driving one of those around because I'd be worried about all the extra weight trying to pull me over. I know people swear they are safe, but you must really know what your doin' if your 4x4 ing with it. I've never seen one flipped over but I'm sure it happens.

I'm sure you'll have fun on the smaller hunts you got planned. A zone opened today for the rifle season. One of my daughters has a soccer tourney that we are going to so I won't be out today.....or tomorrow cuz I got to work. I know....I DO have a job! You probably think I don't cuz of all the vacations! Have a good day, Joey.

Steve

Steve, you're right about Cabovers being small. With your family, i don't think one would be a good fit. They're perfect for one, great for a couple with no kids, maybe a toddler, after that it gets awful crowded and takes all the fun out of them. My ex loved to go places in my camper. I'd just mention maybe a weekend trip up the coast for some steelhead or bank fishing for stripers in the delta and her eyes would light up like a Christmas tree.

I always worried about the above bunk, you know, carrying the weight... The thing never did break off and fall on my hood, had some awful good times in that bunk i'll say that. If them top bunks are prone to being weak, you can't prove it by me.

As far as being top heavy, i guess it depends on your truck but common sence should keep you outa any real troubles. I been more worried about high winds on the freeway than any back road or ditch i was trying to cross. They are a bit tall yes, but a lot of the weight sits down low. IMO, they are not as top heavy as a guy might think

I've saved thousands by having this rig packed and ready to go at all times. Motel rooms are not an option for me. Sometimes i just park where i end up. Could be on the side of a road along side some stream, in front of a friends home, or up near the fence line to Dinasour National monument during muley season... home sweet home.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom