Landowner CRY BABIES!

ELKMAN

I tagged along on an off-range Oryx hunt a few years ago!

What a joke!

My buddy, and I had all the maps etc! Freaking gates to BLM lands locked etc!

We, talked to one rancher, and pulled out the maps about a gate that had a "Posted Sign" on it! He stated,,, "Oh that is just there to keep the honest people honest"!

We "Horned UP-d". but enough is enough!

Why does the public have to play by the rules, and they do not?

Huge problem. There needs to be some type of consequence when they lock actual public lands.
And there needs to be a updated map once a year of unitwide elk tag owners.
Lots of bluffing going on there also.

The title of your post is over the top, but, the point is real.

Something we agree on Paul!
In my experience, state lands are the worst for being illegally posted.
The White's Peak deal is a prime example of hunters getting locked out of public land.

Greg, if you had been on this site for awhile, you would know that this and land swaps that lock the public out of huge sections of public land have been one of my biggest gripes.

I hate it, because once it happens (the land swaps) it is irreversible, and the regular Joe hunter gets screwed.

Killing a quality animal on public land is a bigger thrill than killing one on private. That being said, I am happy to hunt private any chance I can get.

I too have come across locked gates and more often posted roads at open gates or cattle guards saying "Private Property Keep Out" when I know for a fact that the road at the very least is a public road on public land or at least leading to public land. If I am confident in my mapping skills, I call BS on their sign and continue on...that is unless of course it's locked. Then I'll throw out a few cuss words, make a phone call and leave pretty much knowing that the call I made just fell on deaf ears. Frustrating to say the least.

I was just thinking.

ELKMAN is going to be so proud to see all these responses to his post when he logs in at 1:00 am this morning.

Ahhhh...good idea. Know where I can pick one up? Do you have an extra?

I actually (on 2 occasions) have had to utilize my master key to gain access when I know I am 100% right. They are kind of spendy, but my 48" bolt cutters are crucial part of my hunting gear!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-10 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-10 AT 05:19?PM (MST)

carry bolt cutters or a pistol. if you know for sure that the road is a public road that leads to public land just take care of the lock. if they have a problem they will have to tell on themselves in order to tell on you. just my 2 cents. i haven't had any problems tearing down those phony signs, or cuttin locks that i KNOW for a fact are illegal.

FYI just cause there is a road doesn't mean you have access. if its a privately maintained road we have no rights. state land is considered private with the exception for hunting season. county roads or FS/BLM roads are our roads and anything locked is illegal but if the roads are private roads that lead to blm or state inside private we don't have the right to enter.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom