landowner tags?

The best in the state are going to be on some of the awesome ranches like Vermejo or the Express UU Bar, but your probably looking at $10-$15 thousand dollars for these hunts which are going to include a guide. For a couple grand you can get a unit wide tag in 16A or 16D which are world class units. After that I'd go with 16C, 16B, or 15 in that order. There are quite a few units that you can get an archery tag for around a grand with good populations and good bulls.

If I were you I would put in the draw for the first archery hunts in 16 D, A, and C (in that order) and hope you get lucky. Then your in for less than a thousand dollars. The first hunts have way better draw odds and the harvest rates aren't much lower. In the Gila sitting water can get you a bull whether the rut is on or not.

Cory

>.........
>For a couple grand you
>can get a unit wide
>tag in 16A or 16D
>......
>
>Cory

A couple grand? Sign me up if you find them for that price.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you aren't going to find a 16 tag for a couple grand unless you have a family member with land.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-13 AT 05:44AM (MST)[p]Colofireguy-

Could you define quality a bit for us?

16A-16D, yup awesome bulls.....2 grand not gonna happen. Your going to pay a bunch more for a piece of paper that allows you to buy a license. Then your going to pay $780 (QElk) + $65 (GL) + 9 (stamps) to go hunt bulls that any public hunter can hunt right along with you and I mean RIGHT ALONG WITH YOU.

You have worked a great bull all morning and your about to seal the deal, arrow knocked, set up, about to draw, and all of a sudden the bull bolts.....your wondering WTH......only to hear 2 others hunters making their way to the action......and did I say your now into this deal $6K. This would drive me batty.

IMHO-When it come to buying expensive landowner tags......you best be able to have the greenbacks where it won't hurt. Otherwise find a good-great private land hunt where competing with other hunters is not going to happen. There are some out there where your experience will be unbelievable and it will be in the same neighborhood price wise as what a prime Gila hunt on a UW Authorization. Might not be 330+ bulls but there is plenty of undisturbed action without the threat of another hunter blowing the deal for you. A quality hunt can be defined many ways.

Jim

Maybe he meant a couple thousand short of ten grand. ?If 16D tags were going for "a couple grand", i wouldn't care about the draw so much. ?

Sorry to burst your bubble but JW is only stating the facts and the prices quoted might be low for this year. There are alot of folks with bags of dough buying up the LO tags here where I am north of the Gila.....welcome to hunting in this economy!

I realize there is no way possible to obtain one of these tags for two thousand. I was only asking which one of these units might net the best hunt. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-13 AT 02:46AM (MST)[p]What are Unit Wide tags going for in 16A/16D? Where are most guys buying them from? Thanks

>Par for the course!
>
>Jimbo Welles only sees $$$$$!

Isn't it great living in a BLUE State, where the willing to work to earn $$$$$$ are chastised for it?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom