Landowner tags

ColoradoOak

Very Active Member
Coloradoboy said in the elk forum that he was gifted a LO tag by a rancher he met after moving to WY. I was under the impression LO tags were not transferable in WY, but apparently I'm wrong. Can someone explain to me how the WY system works, and how a landowner can gift a tag to a non-resident? Sounds like a good way to get a tag late in the game, if you know a landowner. Thanks....

lol....sounds like a good way for a serious violation is what it sounds like......

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

There is no such thing as a transferable landowner tag in Wyoming...period. the guy in question is pissing in the wind. There is very little doubt that a violation has likely taken place. The guy hasn't lived in Wyoming for year and likely purchased a general tag as a resident. If that's the case I wouldn't want to be in his shoes...not only an illegally taken animal but also falsification of a sworn contract to obtain a resident license. Wyoming takes these kinds of cases seriously...read about a guy earlier this year from up near Jackson that was heavily fined and lost hunting privileges for a long time in the compact states.

Wow
doesn't look good for some-one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 09:57?AM (MST)

I think this getting taken the wrong way. you can buy just a LO tag for a general unit..

i dont know why you keep saying transferable from one area to another. no where he said he transfered it from another area.

even i can go through the game and fish and give out LO tags for my land to get some deer shot..

its all based on how much land you own and number of tags for that area.. of course a big ranch can allow more lo tags for thousands of acres where someone with a 160 acres may only get one or two tags for someone to hunt on there land.....

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 04:29?PM (MST)

so i took the incentive of calling the game and fish and i asked. a non-residnet can get a landowner tag if a landowner meets the requirements of certain amount of acres adn a game warden dertermines if enough animals go through the land but you still pay the non-resident fee.

dont belive me, call game and fish and ask before jumping to conclusions.............

AND F-Y-I I TALKED TO THE CODY OFFICE

You can make up any scenario you like. Go read the post in the elk forum. What he SAID happened is not legal. I'm sure the story will be changing really soon.

hmmmmm......I hope you got a name and badge number. That will help if you choose a jury trial......

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]all he said was gifted a tag--- so that to me means gmae warden saying that the land he wants to hunt is egible for a tag due to right amount of acres and animals for the tag.

instead of pointing fingers why dont you call and ask.. i already called and asked how it works.......

other than that being said thats i all i know.....

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-12 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]I hope I am wrong but this sounds to strange for me...hate to see people get into trouble...I do strongly feel that he should get into trouble if in fact this is illegal. From the sounds of the title of his post..."Wyo general bull...had to join the fun." Makes it sound as if he just went and bought a general tag from the Wee-market in downtown Meeteetse Wy. Why couldn't it be told the correct way? For example: "Wyo Land Owner tag bull...that was transferred to me" (If this is legal at all). Then he says; "Got tired of watching everyone else have all fun. Got this guy after work.. 2 hour hunt, 423 yard shot. Not bad for my for my first wyo general bull, or so im told?", Does this not make us all wonder after all this coming out of the wood work, sound a little fishy?! Watching everyone else have fun? Hell I have been doing it for 6 years now... at-least. And he has been on some great elk hunts this year. Also, which brings me to another point, he has hunted area 62 for elk this year with his family. I know someone else who knows 62 like the back of his hand...and he is pretty sure that the country that the pics are from is in area 62. Now the private land owners there are pretty tight to letting people shoot bulls on their land unless they have big pockets with a lot of cash...so maybe his family does have land over there but still it is not a General area.

--Not saying it is 62 for sure but i feel that its highly possible.

The only possible way that this is legal is if he had a nonresident license prior to moving this year or if his family owns enough land that he qualified for a nonresident landowner general license in nis name. This would be legit.

I hate to see people get in trouble also, but if this is an incident of an illegal take (aka poaching), there should be a stiff punishment.

I may be a little late to this post, but I have received Wyoming LO tags in the past. I received Non-Res LO tags while I was a resident of and living in Idaho and resident LO tags while I was a resident of and living in Wyoming. I paid Non-res fees in Idaho and Res fees in Wyo.

It has to be close blood relation (not 4th cousin 28th removed.....) and the tag is absolutley NON_TRANSFERABLE (thank goodness!). I always wanted to apply for my primo deer tag as a 1st choice and then a LO whitetail tag as a 2nd choice. Couldn't do it. My first and only choice could be the unit for which I wanted the LO tag or I had to scrap the LO tag option and apply with the masses. LO's can apply for tags in a limited quota unit or a general hunt - if they have enough land that supports enough animals as verified by the local Game Warden.

LO tags come off the top of the quota. Not sure if there is a cap or not to the amount of tags LO can take before they draw 'regular' hunters. No matter the size of the property - LO are only eligible for 2 tags. I believe they have to own 360 acres to be eligible for a LO tag. Folks with 360 acres are eligible for 2 tags and folks with 50k acres are eligible for 2 tags.

You apply during the same time period and look up your results online during the same time period as every other hunter. Only difference in the draw is that I have to fill out all my paperwork and check and then mail it to the local game warden. He signs it and then sends it on to Cheyenne to process and put me in for the draws. One license per person - non-transferable. No gifts. No buddies. No selling them for a trespass fee. Recipient can hunt anywhere in the unit and isn't limited to the land for which they received the tag.

Bout all I know...........
He's either lying or poaching.
Just FYI - I've only received LO turkey tags. No big bulls or bucks for this hunter. Grandpa even puts his property in Access Yes for turkeys so I don't even have them to myself!

- Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

NFH,
How then, if what Cade is saying is true....Did you transfer tags, as you stated you have?
Am I missing something here?

>NFH,
>How then, if what Cade is
>saying is true....Did you transfer
>tags, as you stated
>you have?
>Am I missing something here?

I did not transfer tags, what i was stating is that being a landowner you can have the game and fish check out your land and with right amount acres and animals you can have the LO tags..
where i am confused is some MM'ers say it can only be for family members. when i spoke with the game and fish the gal at the cody office said "basically with the right land acres and animals the tag will be up for grabs, but a non-resident must pay the non-resident fee.. that is as much as i know.

AT THIS POINT I AM CONFUSED, WITH EVERYONES THOUGHTS AND OPIOIONS. EVERYONE S WANTING TO POINT FINGERS, IF THERE IS A PROBLEM THE GAME AND FISH WILL TAKE CARE OF IT, I KNOW THE GAME WARDEN HERE AND HE HAS INVESTEGATED WITH ANOTHER WARDEN IT AND CASE IS CLOSED...

SO IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL THE GAME AND FISH TO TRY TO RELATE HOW A LO TAG WORKS

but i have no intrest of LO tags on my riverbottom land.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-12 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-12 AT 10:08?AM (MST)

I apoligize for not knowing more for how a LO tag works, but i dont like being the middle guy that accuses someone of something and running someones name down..

i may have babbled to much on how a LO tag works. with one incorrect word a sentence can be taken many ways. it took me weeks to figure out how a guy shot 2 bucks in wyoming. so finally i sat down with the game warden and had him explain how it works. sure enough you can with a CORRECT type 3 whitetail tag and a general tag to have 2 buck tags. example would be area 24 type 3 and a general. but with a 121 type 3 and general you are illegal. there is a list of which areas are legal for 2 tags. "KINDA OFF SUBJECT BUT EXAMPLE OF HOW WORDS CAN BE TAKEN"

its so easy to type what we want on the computer and later regret it with a immature comment.

You do NOT have to be blood relative,but you DO have to be related.I know a son-in-law of a landowner in SW Wy who receives LO tags almost every year for LQ units here.

So guys im not in jail? I have no court date? There is no investigation? Im still have all possession of all my guns and hunting rights. Im still a poaching outlaw SOB huh? I really appreciate peoples kind emails to the outfit iguide for notifying my boss, who is a second father to me, that im a poacher lol thanks guys hope any of you get stuck with me for your guide, im personally requesting you ;)

You are correct, you aren't a poacher... Just a liar! You lied on here to get a few mins of fame.

Tell your uncle that he shot a nice bull, let him know you tried to take credit for it and lets here your side of the "story" on here.

You say you are a man, well if that is the case, own up to your mistakes, admit them and move on.

We all have eaten crow at one point or another. Quit showing your ass and salvage what is left of your credibility while you can.

So what if you are not in jail! Dude, you are a big time BS artist and liar! Fat chance i'll ever hunt with you or yours and i'll make sure my friends know about it too.

There are too many honest guys out there to hunt with. Why would someone want to pay thousands of dollars to hunt with a known Bull $hit artist and proven Liar. Maybe you don't understand just how a bad reputation like that can follow you around!

My advice, come clean, admit that you goofed up or made a mistake, and apologist to the crew here. Lying to everybody here then being arrogant about it is the wrong way to go!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

So Coloradoboy-Did you lie about killing that bull?The only way G&F would let you walk is:1.You lied about killing the bull;or:2.You killed the bull off your uncle's tag and he is lying for you to save both your a$$es.
Your quest for fame got the better of you.It's called ego.Most of us had a bunch of that when we were young,too.Becoming a man requires admitting you were wrong;not defending your actions.

Fine im wrong. But at the end of the day i am no criminal and my record is clean and always will be. Its funny how people can attack some over the internet without even knowing who they are. I guess i can deal with people bashing me over the internet... at the end of the day those who know me and have spent time with me in the field know who i am and what i do. And im perfectly ok with that. Won't change what i do or my love for the sport.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-12 AT 12:54PM (MST)[p]You were not wrong! You either lied or are a poacher. It is very simple. To me it looks like you tried to claim your aunt or uncle's bull as your own. I have a trip to Cody planned in the next couple of weeks. I am going to ask the Game Warden what happened myself. I simply want to know the truth. You should come clean and end this. Not the first or the last time somebody will take credit for somebody else's kill. You made a simple mistake by trying to lie. A person who admits their wrong-doing is a better person than somebody who continues to lie IMO. Take a little time and learn from your mistake. Man up and you will be given a load of crap (which you deserve) and people will move on. If you continue to lie, people will rightfully label you a liar. Own up to it and I would still invite you to my campfire, continue to lie and I have no use for a person like that.

I wish you guys would cut this kid some slack. He made a mistake, big deal. At his age, I think it is not unreasonable to try and over-compensate. I think we are really glad that he didn't poach the elk.

I have two nephews in their early twenties and their Facebook posts are filled with whoppers.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom