landownertags

patea

do the landowners/outfittrs in wyoming get tags based on the number of acres they own or control and are they allowed to sell them to hunters like new mexico or are they restricted in how they can use them

Only landowners get landowner tags in Wyoming outfitters do not. They qualify based on number of acres and animal days. Landowners cannot sell or give away their tag.

Good answer and correct in that landowner tags can only be used by the owner and immediate family in Wyoming and I hope it stays that way.

I studied this issue a few years ago when my son was interesting in acquiring some property in a tough draw area for both deer and elk. There is a lot of latitude given to what the warden for the area is willing to do. The property my son was interested in was larger than 160 acres. The warden was willing to give a thumbs up for deer(109)and antelope(80). He was real cool to the idea of issuing a landowner elk tag (54-1). There were actually more elk on the property than deer. I know a person who owns 180 acres consisting of nine 20 acre lots that are in a single block. He gets an 80 antelope tag each year but does not get a LE 105 deer tag. That is according to the decision of the local warden.

To the best of my knowledge, the landowner tag is good for the unit where your property is located and you are not confined to hunting just your property. That is not the way it is in other western states.

just sayin...mh

>I studied this issue a few
>years ago when my son
>was interesting in acquiring some
>property in a tough draw
>area for both deer and
>elk. There is a lot
>of latitude given to what
>the warden for the area
>is willing to do. The
>property my son was interested
>in was larger than 160
>acres. The warden was willing
>to give a thumbs up
>for deer(109)and antelope(80). He was
>real cool to the idea
>of issuing a landowner elk
>tag (54-1). There were actually
>more elk on the property
>than deer. I know a
>person who owns 180 acres
>consisting of nine 20 acre
>lots that are in a
>single block. He gets an
>80 antelope tag each year
>but does not get a
>LE 105 deer tag. That
>is according to the decision
>of the local warden.
>
>
>To the best of my knowledge,
>the landowner tag is good
>for the unit where your
>property is located and you
>are not confined to hunting
>just your property. That is
>not the way it is
>in other western states.
>
>just sayin...mh

Landowner tags are good for the whole area, as some landowners provide seasonal habitat for some species. Currently, unless it's very obvious on specie use, there is a "scientific" method used by the Dept to verify use. It is a series of ten circles approx 23" in diameter laid out in a random transect, and pellet groups are counted within the circles. A formula is used based on total acres and pellet groups.

Currently each entity is allowed two landowner licenses good for the owner and their lineal descendants and their spouses. The 160 minimum acres may be challenged at this years legislature. Talk is raising it to 320 or 640, but highly doubt the bill would go anywhere as it deals with taking something from mostly ag folks.

Regulations state that landowner tags cannot be given for land that was bought for the purpose of obtaining the tags.

Corporations can also legally obtain landowner licenses. Anadarko is allotted 4( I think) elk tags for a unit in sw Wyo. Corporate heads used these licenses for years, but recently the company has had a drawing among employees for the tags. I would think deer and antelope tags are also available to them.

Jeff- I like the idea of raising the total acreage in this program. It seems many nonresident landowners are taking advantage of Wyoming's rather loose laws on landowner tags. What reason would be acceptable for buying land and getting landowner tags?? Seems to be a very vague portion of the regulation.

>Jeff- I like the idea of
>raising the total acreage in
>this program. It seems many
>nonresident landowners are taking advantage
>of Wyoming's rather loose laws
>on landowner tags. What reason
>would be acceptable for buying
>land and getting landowner tags??
>Seems to be a very
>vague portion of the regulation.
>

It is vague Cliff, I guess any reason for buying land other than for a landowner tag is ok. Not sure how it is enforced.

Around Casper in deer area 89, more than half the resident tags go to landowners. A lot of those properties are under 320 acres and that is an issue around here lately.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom