LaSal Mtns Late

Founder

Founder Since 1999
The wife is looking to apply for the LaSal late bull. I've done a little reading on the site here and it seems like it could be a good one. Has anyone been down there on this hunt? Any good?

My daughter drew the tag 2 years ago and we spent 11 days and only seen 1 bull that would hit the 300 mark she never chambered a bullet. I have hunted bears on the unit for 20 years and know it well all the elk we could find were on private it can be a good hunt but we will never try it again

How many points does she have? I would steer clear of the Lasal late hunt personally depending on her point total.

She has 9. Why steer clear?
I think there are much better late hunts but with 9 points, options are somewhat limited (e.g., I would take a Wasatch late tag over La Sal for sure).

Looks like 9 points this year may not get you a La Sal tag either - although changes in tag allocations this year may get you there.

La Sal late tag is plain tough. A lot of the elk (especially the bachelor groups) on the north end move to Colorado before that hunt starts. On the south end, they tend to move to private or Colorado before that hunt.

9 points has been enough for the tag the last 3 years. Maybe it'll creep out of reach though. ???
We consider waiting on the Wasatch.

Did you guys (@elkhunterUT @johnnycake) hunt that unit recently and just couldn't find anything? Did you find small bulls?

I haven't hunted the unit for anything since fall 2015, but my family still regularly hunts it for cow elk and the occasional LE bull elk tag. We've been hunting that unit most every year in one form or another since the early 90s. The elk hunting (bulls and cows) is good to excellent from August to mid/late October, and then it is slim pickins in the PJs afterwards. We stopped trying to hunt cows there on tags after October, as that is just an exercise in frustration most years. While I have seen many good to phenomenal bulls on that unit over the years, all of those have been before October. I don't think I've ever seen even a 300" bull on that unit, on public land, after November 1.

I haven't hunted the unit for anything since fall 2015, but my family still regularly hunts it for cow elk and the occasional LE bull elk tag. We've been hunting that unit most every year in one form or another since the early 90s. The elk hunting (bulls and cows) is good to excellent from August to mid/late October, and then it is slim pickins in the PJs afterwards. We stopped trying to hunt cows there on tags after October, as that is just an exercise in frustration most years. While I have seen many good to phenomenal bulls on that unit over the years, all of those have been before October. I don't think I've ever seen even a 300" bull on that unit, on public land, after November 1.
Gotcha! So you're thinking most of them migrate to that low country to the east in Colorado, huh?

I just figured based on the late elk hunts we've done in Colorado that the elk would still be at higher elevations. Just over the border into Colorado a lot of that country is really low. A little bit of juniper country in that 7500 range, but not a lot. Plus unit 60 is a general tag in Colorado on the 2nd and 3rd.

There is quite a lot of private were the elk hang during the season,My son in law drew the tag three years ago, we hunted hard for a week and never got a chance at a bull!!!

The elk on the north end move through Redd Ranch and JB Ranch, then cross the border and hang out on the huge ranch owned by the dude that founded the discovery channel, and some drop down into the Sinbad Valley.

So I guess if we get out there and she scores then we're some awesome hunters, huh? :LOL:
The list of hunts available at 9 points is a little short.
I would do Wasatch mid season or late season, with the new tag structure this could be the year she can get them with 9 points.

I know nothing about the lasal hunt, but have never herd good things about it.

Can’t draw the Wasatch late. It takes more points than she has and the mid is likely going to take just as many. Don’t you think?
There are plenty of hunts I think would be better, but she doesn’t have enough points. Maybe we’ll watch and see if they’re going to increase tags.

Can’t draw the Wasatch late. It takes more points than she has and the mid is likely going to take just as many. Don’t you think?
There are plenty of hunts I think would be better, but she doesn’t have enough points. Maybe we’ll watch and see if they’re going to increase tags.
I would definitely wait to decide until you see proposed tag #'s. With the new allocations across the rifle hunts, you "should" see more tags in the mid and late rifle hunts this year.

That’s what we’ll do, wait and see tag numbers and then see how that affects things.
The Wasatch is what I’d rather her have, but if she doesn’t have enough points, then……..

Screenshot_20230330_150421_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230330_150015_Drive.jpg

She is right there in the running for both of them and that's off of last years numbers. The mid hunt is going to see a significant jump in permits that are coming from the early season. And that doesn't even take into account any increase in tag numbers due to the lowered age objectives.

At minimum I bet they add another 50 permits to the mid season hunt, that's 25 bonus tags that increase will take in both the 9, and 8 pool from last year depending on how many jumpers there are.

My bet is that at 9 points this year she is in the bonus pool, but may not be 100% to draw.

And is it priority for her to hunt this year? If not why not wait one more year for the tag you want to do?

Last edited:
If it looks like she could draw the Wasatch, we’d do that. I think either the mid or late would work.
As far as his year or next, I don’t know. She applied for points in Colorado and wants to hunt elk. I don’t know anymore about the Wasatch than I do the La Sal.
I do know one thing, in general, saving points and putting hunts on hold for the future, hasn’t been a very good tactic, given point creep, winter kills, technology advancements, tag cuts, etc.

LaSals Have Some Big Bulls on it!

Most Of Them Are Thinned Out Before The Late Hunt Starts!

They also Know Where REDD'S Private Property is!

If Weather Pushes Them Off In To The Bottom Most Of That Is Private As Well!

Are there any good outfitters that hunt it ? everyone I've talked to hates this unit but it still interests me.

I was thinking early rifle.
I know that this is not great information and I am certainly no expert on the unit. However, I was down there last summer on my son's bear hunt. Granted it was summer, and the bulls did not have their full antler growth, but several bulls that I saw looked like they would be very nice. It was thick where I saw them and it would be a bit different type of hunt than most others that I have done.

I was really tempted to burn my points on the late hunt as it did look promising. However, after reading several of these posts, I am going to wait and stay the course with another unit.

Maybe cantkillathing Can CHIME in on this Unit a little?

Maybe Tell Us How The Elk Hunt was on the LaSals in 22?

I’ve never seen aspen thicket like that in my life like those down there. You for sure have to get off the road and hike into those hidden holes. If your mobility impaired or lazy don’t put in it not a road hunting unit where we were. The bull is straight across the canyon in that little thicket

FFD05092-C22B-4C50-9495-5E5EEA68755C.jpeg

I hate to move in on this thread but, if we could turn our attention to goats on this unit, that would be awesome. But first, let me wine about my bear hunt on this unit a few years ago which took 15 points. No beautiful high alpine meadows to glass from and see bears feeding in avalanche chutes which I naively assumed would be there without having been there. Nothing but big ugly boulders above tree Line, lol. Totally applied based on a friends recommendation who consistently saw bears but always in the fall. Should have done more research. A pickup with a pack of hounds on every road and drainage. Forget about the spot and stalk bear hunt you dream of. I did see two big bears but couldn’t get on them. Anyway, Goats! Probably draw this one or a Uintas tag this year or next, anything not to like about this unit other than the boulders and impenetrable brush?

I hate to move in on this thread but, if we could turn our attention to goats on this unit, that would be awesome. But first, let me wine about my bear hunt on this unit a few years ago which took 15 points. No beautiful high alpine meadows to glass from and see bears feeding in avalanche chutes which I naively assumed would be there without having been there. Nothing but big ugly boulders above tree Line, lol. Totally applied based on a friends recommendation who consistently saw bears but always in the fall. Should have done more research. A pickup with a pack of hounds on every road and drainage. Forget about the spot and stalk bear hunt you dream of. I did see two big bears but couldn’t get on them. Anyway, Goats! Probably draw this one or a Uintas tag this year or next, anything not to like about this unit other than the boulders and impenetrable brush?
Lack of research and preparation on your part is no reason to take a dump in this thread. Your goat hunt will likely end in the same fashion, harder than you imagined based on points required and you'll be complaining about it.

Lack of research and preparation on your part is no reason to take a dump in this thread. Your goat hunt will likely end in the same fashion, harder than you imagined based on points required and you'll be complaining about it.
I am not taking a dump on this thread. I am saying the Lasal is a unique mountain and when you get above timberline it is mostly rock. Lower down below the aspen and pine belt it is mostly very thick brush and difficult to traverse on the west slope. Useful information if you have never been there. Other useful information is that it’s very popular with guys with hounds and bear pursuit permits in the spring season. Btw I spent about eighteen days chasing bears and endured hurricane force winds.

It’s probably the easiest mtn goat ever so I have a hunch he’ll be fine.

To Mr & Ms Founder!

If You Do Consider The Elk Hunt On The LaSals?

I'd Definitely Look At The Bear Hunts & See Where They Might Be Over-Lapping In To An LE Elk Hunt Or Vice-Versa!

I Have Nothing Against Bear Hunting!

But I Have Seen The Bear Hunts Over-Lap With Big Game Hunts Which I Totally Disagree With!

When The State Started Hunting Big Game NON-STOP From Mid-August through The End Of The Year They Didn't Leave Hounders any Breaks Hardly Anywhere & They Do Over-Lap Here & There!

I'd Check It Out!

Looks like there'll be 5 less late season tags on the La Sal, so I'm not thinking she'll be applying for that one anymore. Maybe she'll just have to wait.

I'm thinking the Wasatch mid. I'm hoping some of the folks who typically applied for the early Wasatch won't be willing to change to the mid and maybe she can catch a tag. She'd much rather hunt in October than in November.

If I were a good husband, I'd share my 25 with her and her 9 and get us better tags. But, I'm not. :devilish:

If it takes 9-10 for La Sals for a non-resident for late season, how many does it take for the early season? How long would founder have to wait for that?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom