Last Minute Pauns Rifle Advice

BuckSkinner79

Due to lots going on this Summer with work, kids and adulting, I wasn?t able to do much leg work. Down to the wire and looking for some last minute advice or help. Anyone willing to share, it would be appreciated.

Cover lots of ground, hit the south end later in the hunt.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>With a tag like that you
>should of prepared

lol...you know...kids...work....adulting....time flies

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-19 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]Hunt down south off the plateau,in the cedars. Hunt early ,stay out till dark. We hunted when the season was a couple weeks earlier and they were migrating,which I imagine they'll be doing still.If you can get down a couple days early and look for tracks and find roads it would help.

>>With a tag like that you
>>should of prepared
>
>lol...you know...kids...work....adulting....time flies
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Lmfao......I hate it when that happens!?

Excuse my ignorance but what is adulting? Lol...never heard that one before? Sounds like heavy work! ;)

Hunt the cedars between 89, and the base of cliffs.
They will be migrating.
But please,stay a safe distance from hy89.
Locals, Sheriff, and DNR don't like it.
I live in Kanab

>With a tag like that you should have prepared.

?? Thanks for the help. Always that one person in every forum/discussion. Had I been able to prepare, it would have been done.

Day 1- Hunted hard in the Nephi Pasture area. Spent a ton of time behind the glasses and spotters. Turned up small bucks only. Lots of Does, Spikes, and Small 3 points. Warm weather and Windy.

Bring on day 2.

Yes. Please keep the updates coming. Very interesting for us that have hopes of hunting there.
Good luck I hope you get a good one.

Yes keep the updates coming, I love that place I'd offer advice but Ive only bowhunted it so im not much help

Day 3- today was a slower day. Seems like a lot of the hunters have gone home? Covered some more country today, turned up some smaller bucks again. A 4x3 willow horn Buck. And some of those 2 points we all love... dusty and windy conditions. Talking to some guides down here, bulk of the Deer have migrated off. Seeing some more coming through just not in big numbers. Still having a blast, gonna head into some other country tomorrow.

I'm betting that most haven't migrated off the unit... Great thread good luck and keep us updated...

Most won't migrate off the unit. I haven't been out there much this year but being a lifelong Kanab mule deer nut I'm pretty familiar with the area. I would stay within a mile and a half of water. If you want PM me your number and I will text some areas that have been good in the past . I will trade for info on cactus bucks you might come across.

NRO has taken two giants with clients opening day.
Both bucks well over 200" and 33" & 35" wide....they are there, keep hunting!

Day 4 has come to an end. I hit some new areas north of the lower end today. Bald knoll, and the Skumtumpah area. Seeing small bucks in the areas I am hitting. Spent a lot of time behind glass today picking apart valleys, knolls, trees and we all know it the game. This hunt is mentally challenging, it's a tough grind and it seems like one could give up easily. Most of the focus I have had is in the Nephi pasture/Meadows area. Lots of Does, fawns and small bucks. I've heard others say they have seen some bigger ones, seems to be opposite the areas I have been in. Hopeful day 5 will bring in the Big one. Great country and having a blast down here.

Keep grinding! This tag is once in a lifetime for most of us! So we appreciate you taking us along for the ride! The opportunity will come for an awesome deer! Keep at it!!

We spent a few days in Nephi Pasture on the Managment hunt a few years ago tons of small bucks and does up there and we spent plenty of time just north of the highway thinking the big bucks would still be behind the does.Then on the last day for the hell of it we went south of the highway and we saw way better and mature bucks.

Just make sure your in Utah, that Utah Arizona line can be deceiving.
Use OnX app, or a good GPS.
GLASS THE SMALL DRAWS.
GOOD LUCK.

>Just make sure your in Utah,
>that Utah Arizona line can
>be deceiving.
>Use OnX app, or a good
>GPS.
>GLASS THE SMALL DRAWS.
>GOOD LUCK.

Hey Spreck, I'm still waiting for your story and pics of what sounds like an awesome muzzleloader hunt.

Day 5 -

Let me preface my little story here by going back to the start of this entire thing. Due to my career, also being a single father with kids that live out of state, and so many other things, I wasn't able to due a lot of scouting for this hunt or put the time in that was needed. My kids were here for the summer, I had classes to take, I had Stuff, just like we all do. I turned to Monster Muleys as we all know for assistance and some help. The vast majority of you offered up so many great tips, and I am very grateful and appreciate the PM's, the phone calls, text messages and so many words of advice and encouragement. To the others on this thread that shot their "opinions" and some sarcastic remarks to me, well thanks for those too.. I guess.

10/18/2019 - I had just finished working a long 48 hour shift at my Fire Department. 10/16 and 10/17 were long days full of thoughts of Muley Bucks, The Paunsagaunt, and the adventure that I was about to embark on. I was eager and excited.

10/18 arrive, I was off shift and headed home to pack some items, supplies, and get on the road.. A buddy of mine, Ralph .. was already in Kanab. And props to him, this guy and I talked all summer about his adventure and I want to Thank him early on.

While on my way I spoke to Ralph and he had told me that Doyle Moss had taken up residence in the same place we were staying along with several other guys and guides, again the thoughts of being around said person(s) like Doyle, WLH, and so many other outfitters weighed on my mind that they knew what they were doing and that those lucky people that could partake of such an opportunity would harvest big bucks, the kind that we hunter dream of.

On arrival on Friday, I was fortunate to shake hands with Doyle Moss and visit with him for some time. Talking to him, he was very helpful and offered up some advice about how to hunt the Pauns. I explained to Doyle that I hadn't done my homework but was willing to take the chance that after 19 year of waiting was finally here and put the effort into finding the buck of a lifetime. That's the first time I had met and talked to Doyle Moss, he was very cool. He was easy to talk to and interested not only in the hunt, but asked me about me too. Very personable and likable guy. Talking to him got me more pumped for the days to come.

This hunt was challenging, mentally and physically. This is a tough hunt! Seeing Deer, lots of deer. Then not seeing Deer, and then the repeat. You some some bucks, good bucks. You see little bucks. You may even get a chance to see a GIANT buck. It's truly an emotional roller coaster and those that share a passion for hunting and wait for the opportunity to hunt said Giants, know exactly that type of emotions I am talking about.

During the week, I had seen and heard of some killer trophy bucks being taken. I had the chance to chit chat with some of the different guides at the gas station, all offered up some great advice and direction. To all of you, I say thanks.

Day 5 began like any of the other days that I had been putting in. The morning came and my alarm sounded, I woke up and to be honest for a short moment during the getting ready started to doubt that it was going to be anything other than the typical day. Seeing some deer, mostly small bucks, does, and fawns. Putting in the miles, putting in the time on foot and glassing and searching the hills for that trophy buck. But my excitement and spirits were down, I just hadn't seen that one big Pauns buck people talk about, I had read stories about, and had even seen the pictures.

After readying up I followed Ralph out of the door, and on exiting I heard someone call out to me. I looked through the dark to see Doyle Moss walking across the parking lot to talk to me. Doyle arrived by my side and asked me how my hunt had been going. I explained to him that it hadn't been shaping up to be what I wanted and that I was running short on time, and just not seeing any shooter bucks. We discussed for a few minutes the tactics, the areas and all I and my friend Ralph had been doing to find that one shooter buck.

What happened next, is something that I didn't expect, or really fathom would ever happen to an a guy like me. Doyle Moss, looked over at me and said "Follow me, I'll put you on a spot and I will put you in a place where you can kill a buck." I was completely taken off guard, as I knew that he had his own clients that he was charged with guiding and helping them shoot a deer on the unit. I asked him if he was really serious about this, and he said yes.

We followed Doyle to the 7-11 for supplies and fuel. I stood next to him as he showed me the area he was going to take me and he offered up that there were some good bucks coming into and out of the area until around mid-morning. He told me that there would be several bucks to choose from and to take some time to look them over. He assured me that a chance would present itself to me.

I was blown away, humbled and totally in awe that all of this was unfolding. We have all heard the war stories, we have all heard the tales, we have all participated in the hunting gossip. Hell, there is people on here that do just that. I was totally blown away that Doyle was helping me. He didn't have to even take the time to talk to me that first day, or to talk with me after that day, let alone offer up a spot that was going to hold some Deer for me to go hunt.

We followed Doyle to the location, he pulled over which indicated we were to drive to the location he discussed with myself and Ralph. We followed directions and just as he had told us arrived at a lookout point before dark.

I was overcome with the amount of Deer that I could see moving through the area at first light.

As it got lighter, I noticed there was a handful of bucks lurking about. I began to glass up the area and found 2 bucks, both very mature deer. However with the first morning light you could make out antlers, width and height. Just not light enough to look them over, they began to move to the East along a draw, and before the sun crested the Plateau moved behind a rolling hill....

That's when I saw a line of 5 Deer coming right to me. The first 3 were Does, and then a buck came into view. He was tall, he was wide and in the early morning light looked like a shooter. Ralph stood next to me and we watched as the buck went down a draw and stopped. There was water in the bottom and while he was drinking Ralph and I had a chance to look him over. I saw the mass, the deep forks, the height he carried, and I decided that this was my buck that I wanted.

With Ralph next to me, the sun hitting the Red Cliffs all around I raised my rifle and looked at him again through my scope. By this time he had started his way up the embankment and was quartering away from me, with a slow breath I squeezed the trigger. The morning stillness was broken by the sound of my .300 Win Mag... the "WHUMP" came next.. The big heavy horned 4 point ran up the hill and went down.

As I looked through my glasses at the buck that lay there on the hillside I couldn't believe that it was over.

I want to thank Ralph, you were there with me and stayed with me to grind out a tough hunt. To Doyle Moss, thanks for putting me in the right place at the right time and helping to make my hunt a hunt of a lifetime. Mossback is a stand-up outfit, you went out of your way to help me and I thank you for that.

To everyone here, thanks for the encouragement, advice and listening to my little story.

15309img0965.jpg

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing from start to finish. Congratulations on a great hunt and a great buck to top it off with. So nice to see other hunters helping each other. There is nothing quite like a bond we form over hunting.

Congratulations, Thanks for posting the day to day updates. I enjoy this type of thread as much as any. Doyel has been run down often on this site. I haven't hunted with him or sat next to him while drinking at a hunt auction, but there are more verifiable stories of him helping hunters than I can remember. I will think of doyel in a positive light until I have a personal experience to prove otherwise.

Excellent story and great buck thanks for taking the time to share it with us all. Doyle always gets a bad rap but he's actually a pretty decent dude

Too busy with a house repair, and getting ready for my muzzleloader elk hunt that starts next Wendsday.
Plus a wedding anniversary trip this weekend.
Happy wife, happy life.
Good luck

That's a great buck!
Congratulations!
Looks like you scored south...
Nice of Doyle to give you tip.
Very cool of him.
You can see my muzzleloader buck on facebook.
Don Sprecher
Feel free to call me if your ever in area again.
435 689 1903

Congrats ! That's a great buck ! I have also seen Doyle help others just like you said. I sometimes think its to his advantage. Get the normal guy to punch his tag. Then he doesn't have to worry about him getting in the way.But like yourself you are more then happy with the outcome of your hunt.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments and Congrats you have all extended me. I echo the thoughts, Doyle is a great guy and he does a lot for conservation in the state. I appreciate you all letting me share my story with you.

That's a great buck congrats.

The story you told doesn't surprise me a bit. I know a couple of guides that work for Doyle and they tell me he encourages and helps other non-guided hunters in the field and expects his guides to do the same.

Glad you ran into him!!

Awesome outcome. Congrats on a great buck and hunt. Great memories made there.

Never hunted with Doyle, but talked with him several times at banquets and on phone. Always great to talk to and helpful. Even gave me a guided number in another state for info on a unit he was not as knowledgeable on.

Congrats Buckskinner Limited Entry hunts are fun but can be so much pressure. You never want to put so much pressure on yourself that you don't enjoy the experience.

As far as Mossback goes I've only had good interactions. 9 years ago I had my nine year old with me down on the Henries. We were spotters for my brother's roommate who had a tag. The camp across the way from us was a large Mossback camp. As we arrived back to camp they were pulling into theirs with a 226" stud buck with cheaters everywhere. My son wanted to see it. I was nervous about going into their camp based on stories I'd heard. The stories were unfounded. They were super cool. I'm sure it helped that they had found and taken the buck they were after for their client, but they all went out of their way to make my son feel like he was the future of hunting. The hunter was the expo auction hunter. I was nervous again when he let my son hold the antlers. I said don't drop it, I know what the dollars per inch are on this buck.

My co-worker had an elk tag and was in the camp next to the mossback crew when they were hunting the spider bull. He said they were very good camp neighbors and very helpful. After he took a 387" bull they helped him cape it, measure it, and spent time to hear his hunting story.

Anyways I'm glad you got a good buck and had the experience you did.

Congrats on an awesome buck. Thanks for sharing your adventure! It's good to read an actual positive story about Doyle. I have never had any interactions with him or his guides but have read and heard a lot of the negative stories. If you have't decided on a taxidermist Chase Parry does awesome work!

Congrats on a great Buck! It's always nice to hear some first hand stories of good interactions with the various guides. Good for Doyle and Mossback for helping you out.

Chase is one of my best friends. He?s already got the Cape. He and I work together at the Fire Department. He does excellent work and has already done one of my bucks from Wyoming a few years back. He?s got two of my bulls as well.

Good deal all around.
Good buck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

nice write up. My experiences with Doyle have all been positive. I've heard a lot of first hand stories about him helping people out.

MT_Grizz.jpg

I loved reading your post! More times then not I see Doyle being drug through the mud on this site! I love finally reading something that is so positive and true to who my stepfather is! Congrats on your amazing kill!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom