late antelope hunt

Muleymemories

Just wondering how many of you have hunted lopes late in the year like late october. Never hunted them late but that's the only time i have to make it to wyoming, have other hunts lined up. What can i expect? Should be herded up right?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

I'm in the same prediciment. I just read a article in the Q&A section of Eastmans Journal. Guy claims it's the best time of year because the pressure is down and the bucks are grouped up.

Mike

I always hunt pronghorn from the 10th of Oct. up until the 25th. Around the 15th of Oct the dominate bucks will stop chasing off the satellite bucks and they will heard up. There are ups and downs to hunting them late. They are harder to sneak on after being hunted for that long. With the larger herds they have more sentries posted, so there are more eyes to avoid. The hunting pressure at that time is very minimal so you are less likely to have a good stock interrupted by another hunter.The weather is cooler and you get a lot more movement and feeding going on. I prefer to hunt later without the interference of the crowds.

The only problem you may incounter will concern possible doe tags along with your buck tag. I have seen hunters shoot bucks while filling a doe tag. Those bucks had shed their horns and was mistaken for a doe by the hunter.

If you see a "larger then normal doe" and it has the dark coloring around the face, it just may be a buck.

RELH

Will let you know in a couple of weeks as I am headed that way in 4 more days, hunt starts the 12th to 31st. Deer from 15th to 31st.

Brian

Usually hunt the 1st part of Nov here in Montana. Bucks are grouping up and working themselves up as much. Also with bucks together you have the ability to better judge bucks aganist one another.

Wayne

In Wyoming a buck is any antelope with a cheek patch.
It is my understanding that any antelope with a cheek patch would be illegal to kill with a doe tag.

thanks for the info guys, looking forward to the wyoming trip in a couple weeks. anyone going to be around farson in a couple weeks let me know.

Muley,

I probably won't be up there, but Farson is about 1.5 hours from where I live. I hunted that same area last year; maybe the same unit??

I regret not waiting until a later date. I got a little buck fever and shot a buck opening morning. I directed another MM to the same area, later in the year, and he shot a waaay bigger buck than me lol....

If you want some specifics, send me a PM.

brian, good luck on your hunts maybe we can hook down there and talk hunting??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom