Late rifle deer season

stevie

I have never hunted the late rifle season in Southern NM. Only muzzy and 1st rifle. This year I drew late rifle in Unit 17.

These are my questions. From your all's experience, do the deer move lower after the chaos of the 1st season? Do they return to their original haunts before the opening of the late season? Do they go into the thicker stuff?

In short, where should I concentrate my efforts?

Stevie, the Nov deer hunt at least here in the Sacramento Mountains normally is not late enough to have enough weather to get the deer active.

Normally bluebird skies keep the good bucks back in cover early and late coming out. Also they are generous with tags to there seems to be more hunters up here than any other time of the year.

With all the rain we are getting up here anything is possible for deer season.

Best thing on deer out here would be to scout up some bucks way off the beaten path and be there before the crowds opening morning. The further from the roads the better.

I dont think they move around all that much as far as moving high or low. We dont get enough snow to get them to migrate. I personally would rather hunt in country I can glass for deer. The 6000 foot level or lower.

Where is your tag for?

Thanks for the response.

My tag is for Unit 17--late rifle. My questions deal more with deer behavior due to the pressure of the first hunt rather than weather. I would imagine that hunting pressure would cause the deer to change their habits temporarily.

I live in El Paso and I hope to scout one weekend in September. My wife and I are expecting a baby in mid October so scouting will be difficult.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom