late season archery , oregon

F

fishon01

Hey everyone. Hope you guy's had better luck than i in the early season.( if you went ) None of my scouting paid off. White river unit. Will be close to Medford for part of late season. Long way's to drive. Never hunted that part of state, Hopeing for a little info Not the,your honey hole. Maybe decent area? This time of year are they still high or low? Around here our rut zones tend to be up to 2500 ft. So i would guess the same, but not sure. Also do you rattle, use calls, grunts etc? Clear cuts, heavy timber, or oaks and open foothills? Muley's, blacktails or both? Sorry for all the ?s. Just don't want to go there completely blind. Any info would be greatly appreiciated.(sp)? Thanx fishon01

Fishon

I hunted around Applegate Lake two weeks ago. Southern Or. was just coming off a hot spell, nothing was on top. All the deer that we saw were low to mid elevation. But the day I left it started to shower a little, and it has since cooled way down. A little more rain should be here at weeks end. I say just get out and hunt HARD.

Good luck.

i dont hunt that far south so i cant give you any advice on that area. as far as your other question as to if rattling and calls work that answer would be yes. used in combination with scents its a great tactic. i havent had much success with it yet but its coming around. the "can" calls works awesome. i had pretty good success trying it out last year. it held deers attention quite well and they stayed calm long enough for a shot if i so choosed. a good site for you to check out is www.bowsite.com
there are some people on there from that area who could give you some tips on locations. good luck.

I've hunted that area a lot, but your best bet is to find some open timber and snow. I track bucks a lot of times when they're with other deer, sometimes a couple of miles. Without the snow though it's a crapshoot because the deer may come down from high elevations or not without it. My advice is hunt just above the snowline and you'll find some good bucks. On average I'll see 15 bucks a day, so if you're not seeing many deer move to a new one. You'll know it when you find a good spot. The tracks in the snow will tell the tale.

tc

Thanx for the replies. Hopefully i can get at least 2 weekends down there. If not i will get to go to mckenzie unit. Thanx again fishon.

hey fish' I have a freind that hunts south east of medford in the late bow hunt, around agate flats. I can tell you they do good, bucks in the 20's every year.. thats the same deer we get down on the south side of the boarder..........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom