Late Season Muzzy Hunts

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I'm wondering what most of you think of the new early November muzzy deer hunts in a few of the general deer units?

I don't have a ton of LE deer points but thought I'd throw my hat in for one of thse tags.

Any thoughts?

No way to know how many points they will take since it is the first year. I like the idea in general of these hunts, as long as they don't cut tags in other places and make it a wash.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-15 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-15 AT 06:31?PM (MST)

The idea here is to draw some people out of the LE unit draws... As everyone is finding out, LE tags are becoming harder and harder to get. Most LE units are practically Once-In-A-Lifetime now.

These hunts will allow increased opportunity for individuals who are looking at the point creep saying, "I'm never going to draw that tag, unless I win the lottery.." These hunts are Limited Entry because they will hopefully run into the deer rut and some nicer bucks might move out of the high country and be preoccupied with does.

As a resident, I'd burn anywhere up to 5 points on one of these tags. Maybe. The areas Im familiar with that have the new late hunt are not that great for deer during other seasons, but the rut could change all of that. And if it only took a few points, it would be worth it.

Don't set expectations too high. These are not trophy units per se. But a late hunt, in the rut, maybe in snow, with a Smokepole, all sounds pretty fun to me...

NOTE: As I look over draw odds for other Muzzy hunts on LE units, the Book Cliffs is the 'easiest' to draw. If I have 5 points this year, there are 397 other applicants ahead of and with me in line for that tag. They currently give 38 bonus tags for that hunt. That means, with all things remaining equal, I would be guaranteed the tag in 11 years... As a few lucky fools ahead of me will draw the 'non bonus tags' each year, that number will likely only move to 8 years instead of 11...

So, now a wait of only maybe 3 or 4 years is sounding alright...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-15 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]The Utah Board meeting is not until April 30th to set those permit numbers for 2015. In early April they talk about them in each region, but that is after the draw. I wish Utah would either make the applications due in March or April and release the permit numbers prior to the closing date for applications.

I would say most of the late muzzleloader tags will take about 5 points to draw, maybe more as a non-resident because so many people are sick of chasing the crowd on the standard limited entry deer hunts.

I tried to send you a PM. Then the website crashed.

Good luck,

Dillon

I would take a late ML tag on many of these general units at 5 points over a ML Book Cliffs tag at 10 points any day of the week! If these tags end up only taking around 5 points to draw, they will be the steal of the century for those lower point folk in the LE deer quagmire. I don't anticipate they will give out many of these tags, though. So it's not likely to make a huge difference in the point creep arena.

Like was said above, these are not premium units. But you have a chance at a good buck if you can spend the time, know the unit, or just get lucky.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom