Later Muzzy Season Thoughts?

NMaddict

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-15 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]I hunted Unit 34. I am wondering what everyones experience was during the later muzzy season this year in various units? For me it was as expected, less rut activity, less responsive to calling, fewer and smaller bulls located and ultimately tag soup.
Also had two days of terrible weather complete with hail storms each day. And for some reason there seemed to be hunters everywhere. I had a great hunt and everyone i met on the mountain was courteous but it was a different hunt than years past.

I'm not sure it would have made a difference if the muzzy hunt was at the normal time. I was hunting 34 during the 1st archery hunt and the rut was going pretty good. The big boys already had their cows. I arrowed mine after he fought off another bull, chased him down the mountain and came back up to his cows. I got him on Sept. 6th. That's the first time I saw the rut that early. As far as hunters everywhere, I think you were just in a popular spot as there were only 250 licenses. We'll see if any other muzzy hunters in 34 respond.
Mike

I would agree that it was a tougher hunt. I hunted 34 during the muzzy hunt. Morning one seemed like things would be hot and heavy. I hiked into a little tucked away canyon before daylight. A spot the historically holds a few decent Bulls. Sure enough, at daylight three Bulls start full on bugling in the bowl above me. Perfect. I worked in close. Two of the Bulls were within 150 yards of each other. Both he 8-9 cows. Really nice Bulls for 34 in my opinion. They went back and forth for 45 minutes. Wind was perfect and making my its way down the mountain. I was just waiting on a shot to come to me. They were anywhere from 80-150 yards from me. Well, about the time I started thinking this deal was going to work, they completely blow out of there and nearly run me over in the process. One bill passed at 50 and the other at 85. I don't shoot as I am not comfortable not do I like making a running shot. They went mute. I followed them several hundred yards knowing that something wasn't right. Well, it turned out to be three other guys hunting together. They came over the ridge coming to the bugles with no regard to the wind and blew them out. They were pleasant enough and one of them realized really well that they had poured it to me pretty good. I had never run across another hunter in this bowl. That's just dumb luck though.

I didn't hear another bugle the entire hunt. I did tag a great 6x6 Monday morning though. 320" bull.

I hunted the 2nd smoke pole in 15, it was very quiet no big Bulls some satellite few spikes lots of cows, my closet shot was at 250 yards, was lucky enough to put some led in him. Very little bugles very discouraging, 16 A had Monsters.

This year is over time to p,an for next year, we need to take into consideration that the hunts were pushed back a week later, I believe it had a great deal of inpact, unit 15 also has lots of wolves which don't help.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom