LE Giant 34.5wide 5x5

Letshunt

This is a story of my cousins LE hunt.

This hunt was 20 years in the making. He had drawn a Vernon tag 12 years ago when the Vernon was really good but he ended up tearing his ACL a couple months before the hunt so he turned his tag back and has been getting the dreaded unsuccessful ever since!

This year was different! We had talked about which season to apply for and talked about the pros and cons of each. With limited tags on the muzzy hunt and the chance to have first crack at the bucks we find scouting, he decided to apply for the muzzy hunt!

Fast forward 4-5 months and we were in the mtn scouting. With each rain storm
our excitement would increase!
64706bec814fc5c574bc5aac54f477527845a.jpeg

We set a lot of cameras and spent a lot of time behind the glass hoping to turn up some giant bucks that were worthy of the tag. From the start of the hunt my cousin would always say ?score doesn't mean anything to me. I want a wide, heavy, and good forked buck!? The scouting continued with some good bucks found.
718026a854d80a0414c4c9db4361ef2b6afa8.jpeg

70477878eec658f2341d889407988a2eb840c.jpeg

As the summer passed, we had a buck that we liked hit our cameras quite a bit. As he grew, he quickly became a buck that fit the criteria of what my cousin was looking for as far as his goal for the hunt.
65428c094b3d85051445880914cf12efc1875.jpeg

We liked this buck a lot but we found a few more that we thought were bigger. We kept searching for more deer, but couldn't turn up an absolute giant. Most of the bucks we liked were pretty similar in size. Some would score higher based on their frame, their tine length, or their extra points. Luckily for us most of these bucks were within a few canyons of each other. We knew the best way to locate one of these bucks was to get on a high point and glass. With how hot it typically is during the muzzy hunt, we knew the bucks would bed early and not get up all day.
A couple weeks before the opener. We wanted to do one last check of our cameras. This guy showed up again and looked even better.
707235a4bf83f9a3a402a9fb010484278fd54.jpeg

The week before the hunt opened, we set up a wall tent and packed our stuff in to camp to try and cut down the amount of miles that we had to hike each day. This mtn is nasty to hike. There are no rolling hills or grassy hill sides. It's shell rock or just rocky hillsides that cause you to roll your ankle a few times. All the burnt pines that have fallen make the hiking tiresome.
7389a9db42d5aec744a48d164925bde53396.jpeg

95986b2a226663e543919e593346579107a1.jpeg

We all had to work and weren't able to head up til the night before the hunt. We arrived at the trailhead at 10:30pm. And made the long hike in with some of the gear that we didn't pack in the week before.
All of our target bucks made it through the archery season. We were excited to know that the bucks we had found during the summer were still alive and we were going to be able to chase them. The day before the opener always creates some nerves. Excited about what may lay ahead doesn't allow for the most restful nights!
We hunted hard opening day and locates 43 bucks, but none of them were ones that we wanted to shoot.
Day 2 started fast and then was a loooong wait. We spotted the buck we called ?5wide? at first light. He was over 700 yards away working his way down the ridge. The closest that he'd get was 670. Having practiced multiple shots at this distance and having worked up loads that reproduced a lot of consistency we decided to take a shot if he presented himself. After 20 minutes of waiting he turned broadside. The shot just missed barely over his back. The buck was unfazed and slowly fed into a large patch of quakies. We have him an hour and started seeing deer that he was with bed down. We made the long hike to get above him and waited on a hillside for 6 hours. We spotted many of the deer he was with but not him.

The next 3 days came and went without much excitement. We passed on 2-3 180 class type bucks in hopes of finding one of the bucks we had found during the summer.
The morning of the 6th day of the hunt found us covering multiple ridges in hopes of turning up one of our target bucks. The weather dropped 25 degrees and the deer were up feeding til almost 10:00. At 9:30 Jake called and said he had found ?5wide? and the ?dagger? buck feeding together. Both were 5x5s. The dagger buck has 5-6 inch cheaters off of his G3?s on both sides. We believe he will be 208-212. He originally was our number 2 buck and thought for sure he'd be the one Kyle would want once we found him. However, when he saw ?5wide? and the ?dagger? buck together he wanted the big framed wide buck even though it might score a little less.

Hours of waiting and waiting some more ended up paying off. The buck was bedded 270 yards away with no clear shot. The buck only stood up one time throughout the day only to feed behind some trees and then returning to his original bed. There was only an hour left of light and tension was running high. The buck finally stood up and fed into a clearing. With the scope dialed, and Kyle set up in a prone shooting position the buck was all but dead. BOOM! the buck stumbled backwards and tipped over! High fives and hugs! 20 years of waiting had paid off in a huge way. All the scouting and hanging out with family and friends culminated with a buck of a lifetime. The buck measured 34.5 inches wide. He was much bigger than we thought he was which is always a good thing!
446748e2cc646f2f4ed89eabd4642b005b9c.jpeg

339642780bc7135044133ac3898a679a45509.jpeg

82895728f467862ca4c3b96efda105d9e7929.jpeg

Wow what a stud! Great story and one heck of a well earned buck. Congratulations to your cousin and your crew.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-19
>AT 02:50?PM (MST)

>
>Letshunt that is a great story
>and a magnificent Vernon buck!!!
>_

Not a Vernon buck!

Awesome buck. WOW 670 yards with a muzzle loader?! That's an insane distance!

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

I love these long format stories, seeing hard work and long hours payoff.
Congrats on the successful hunt, and thanks for the inspiration.

Nice Buck!

Any Idea what kind of Energy is produced at 670 Yards?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>>LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-19
>>AT 02:50?PM (MST)

>>
>>Letshunt that is a great story
>>and a magnificent Vernon buck!!!
>>_
>
>
>
>
>Not a Vernon buck!

I misread and thought he'd draw Vernon. Thank you for clearing that up

_
Where are you guys reading 670 yards? Is there a different article about a Vernon buck being shot at 670 yards? I'm pretty sure he said this buck was bedded at 270 yards. Big difference.

>_
>Where are you guys reading 670
>yards? Is there a different
>article about a Vernon buck
>being shot at 670 yards?
>I'm pretty sure he said
>this buck was bedded at
>270 yards. Big difference.

Hey Ridge!

You Read Stories Like You Read Your PLAYBOY Magazines!:D

(((AKA just looking at the Pics & Not Reading!:D)))

Day 2 Ridge:

Day 2 started fast and then was a loooong wait. We spotted the buck we called ?5wide? at first light. He was over 700 yards away working his way down the ridge. The closest that he'd get was 670. Having practiced multiple shots at this distance and having worked up loads that reproduced a lot of consistency we decided to take a shot if he presented himself. After 20 minutes of waiting he turned broadside. The shot just missed barely over his back. The buck was unfazed and slowly fed into a large patch of quakies. We have him an hour and started seeing deer that he was with bed down. We made the long hike to get above him and waited on a hillside for 6 hours. We spotted many of the deer he was with but not him.

My bad. I skipped right to day six I guess.
No wonder he missed the shot at 670 yards.
Awesome pictures and congrats on a great buck.

>My bad. I skipped right to
>day six I guess.
>No wonder he missed the shot
>at 670 yards.
>Awesome pictures and congrats on a
>great buck.

Just RAZZIN Ya Ridge!:D

good job utah allowing shooters to put magnifying scopes on muzzle loaders so they can shoot 670 yards.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures and story. That is an absolute giant buck.

Congrats, that's a once in a lifetime buck for sure! I appreciate you sharing the story and the pictures, I'm glad it all worked out.

>It hasn't been said which unit
>this is, but it looks
>like the Oak Creek. Which
>unit was this?

I thought the same thing. I bet its the Oak creeks. That doesnt look like Vernon to me. Great buck!! However, shooting a muzzleloader at 670 yards is ridiculous. This is where UTAH F'D up again on management.

Nice buck. Confusing story? Missed with muzz at 670 yds. & connected at 270 yds. Sounds like a rifle hunt to me but he states he put in for the muzz hunt.

Thank you for taking us along the journey of an awesome buck! Congrats on a deer of a lifetime.

Not one to pile on typically, but 670 yards is a long shot for a rifle, let alone a muzzleloader. That is just flat crazy!!

Great buck though-he is a stud!!

I too am in the same boat when it comes to the magnification on muzzy. Or if they would have limited it to a certain magnification as to take out the long range aspect of it. But that is not the case. The loads that have been worked up and shooting cards that have been developed for his particular muzzleloader are insane. It consistently shoots as good of groups at 700 yards as any rifle I've had custom built.

It is an oak creek buck. Shooting a normal muzzleloader at that distance yes is crazy. I've watched 3 deer die with one shot at yardages ranging between 500-725 yards. Just like shooting a regular rifle 1000 yards that hasn't had any work done is crazy. Shooting a regular muzzleloader 670 is crazy. The muzzy he was shooting has had a lot of work done and hours and hours have been spent shooting and developing a load that is consistent out to that yardage. Long range muzzleloaders will continue to progress as long as Utah allows for scopes that allow for long range shooting. I wish it was different and that it was the old days where the muzzy was in November and 150 yards was too far of a shot.

Thanks for all the responses. Even the questions about the first shot. I'm ok with the discussion. It brings up a good discussion about the growth of long range shooting with long range muzzleloaders. It was an awesome hunt where we covered over 35 miles in 6 plus days of hunting. This unit is hard and nasty. It does hold good deer, but unless you are young and can get after it. It's hard to kill good deer.

>Thanks for all the responses. Even
>the questions about the first
>shot. I'm ok with the
>discussion. It brings up a
>good discussion about the growth
>of long range shooting with
>long range muzzleloaders. It was
>an awesome hunt where we
>covered over 35 miles in
>6 plus days of hunting.
>This unit is hard and
>nasty. It does hold good
>deer, but unless you are
>young and can get after
>it. It's hard to kill
>good deer.

Can You Tell us more about your SmokePole?

I wished any specific unit wouldn't be called out by name. No need to hotspot.
Now if you want to hotspot that 700 yard muzzy, then by all means.

>Thanks for all the responses. Even
>the questions about the first
>shot. I'm ok with the
>discussion. It brings up a
>good discussion about the growth
>of long range shooting with
>long range muzzleloaders. It was
>an awesome hunt where we
>covered over 35 miles in
>6 plus days of hunting.
>This unit is hard and
>nasty. It does hold good
>deer, but unless you are
>young and can get after
>it. It's hard to kill
>good deer.

Not taking away from the accomplishment my concerns with long range muzzle loader are more in regards to wind drift than anything. Muzzle bulllets don't buck wind very well! My own personal ethics are more in line with the muzzle loader hunt should be harder than rifle because it's in theory a more primitive hunt. But that's my own deal

Great buck!! Looks like you spent good quality time with family and friends.

I guess I would question my ethics at taking the risk of wounding a beautiful animal at 670 yards with a muzzleloader let alone 270 yards. But I guess if it's legal who cares about ethics. (tongue in cheek) To each their own. It's hunting not target practice. Yes I feel the same about the 1,000 yard rifle shots on a live animal too.

Great job Utah and the Utah hunters.

Sounds like a fun, fun hunt. That buck is really big! Good stuff.

I doubt I could get a buck at 200 yards with my muzzleloader! ha ha Luckily he wasn't wounded with that long shot. That would have sucked to wound and lose a buck like that.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

> Nice Buck!
>
>Any Idea what kind of Energy
>is produced at 670 Yards?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Been playing with my Muzzle loader a bit lately. Shooting a 300 grain bullet I have 900 foot lbs of energy at 600 yards. Not sure what he is shooting ? Maybe a modified Remington 700 muzzle loader ? But do tell us a little about your gun that took that beautiful buck with !

Like the story and I MEAN I like the whole story.
They spent a lot time and money figuring out how to shoot a longer distance. Because you can't you get butt hurt.
Yes I shoot rifle and Muzzy at long distances.

Back to the deer hunt. That is one awesome buck.
A great story.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I shoot my rifles of various cartridges at least once a week to 1200 yards and enjoy it very much, I have a 500 yard limit on anything that hasn't been previously wounded. Not a muzzy guy that 670 shot doesn't seem that well practiced to be shooting at a doe let alone a trophy like that, but to each their own? People make poor shots on animals much closer so there is know easy way to patrol it. Great buck though, love to have the opportunity ??

Nice write up and a sweet buck for sure! Congrats on getting it done.

I figured there would be some hate mail on the long distance muzzy shot, but you probably knew it was coming.

Thanks for sharing. It was fun to read.

Buck of a life time. Congrats and thanks for a great story. Had a buddy that hunted that unit this year and he also scored big. Looks like the Vernon is back in the rise to producing some awesome bucks. Way cool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom