Leather Treatment for Boots

J

jpine

Have used bear grease for years. I don't see that it is for sale anymore and am out.....Sno-Seal, Mink Oil, Beeswax? What are the best products out there for a mid to heavy hiking boot?

I've used mink oil for years on my cabela's guide boots and its always worked for me even helped the break-in process on new boots

7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

I've used mink oil for years on my leather boots/shoes. I would have a hard time moving on to something else. Helps keep them soft and waterproof as well. Had a pair of shoes for nearly 10 years that I used the stuff on and had no problems. Had to retire the shoes because the sole was gone on them.

I regularly clean my boots with water and a soft brush, let them dry ccompletely (not in the sun) and re-dress them with a couple heavy coats of Kiwi Camp Dry silicone spray.

Stinks for a while but it works great for me.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I only use Silicone. I like the silicone that's a liquid and has a cotton applicator. It gets deep into all the seems and works great. It also doesn't leave the boots with the greasy look.

The Camp Dry spray silicone doesn't leave the leather on my boots looking greasy. It all gets absorbed but the outside of the sole looks a little slick when I am done so I just wipe the excess off with a paper towel.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The "greasy" reference was regarding beeswax, oil, etc. I think campdry is awesome stuff. It dries just like the liquid stuff with the cotton applicator.

Cabelas has their own brand, I've seen others at footwear stores. The stuff I have now is made by Justin Boots. I think they're all the same.

The applicator is attached to the lid by a 4" peice of metal wire. The "cotton" may not be cotton at all, maybe nylon/poly. No it doesn't get all over the leather.

You just need to make sure your boots are totally clean or the dirt will cloud up the silicone in the container. What I like about it so much is that since its's a liquid, it gets deep into the stitches and seems. You should try it, it's good stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom