Left handed youth bow help please

scpaisley

My 8yr old son has graduated from the little Bear bow that he had so I'm trying to find a compound bow for him in the 15lb+ pull range but I'm having a hard time finding a left handers bow for him. Anyone know a good place to look for one?

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Think I might have found one, a Martin Tiger, not sure if its really any good though. Anyone?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-11 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]Hoyts youth bow will go down to the lbs your looking for. My daughter is left handed and her trykon jr with 20 lb limbs went down to 8 lbs.

You can find them on archery talk for pretty cheep. With the limb up grades it can go all the way up to 40 lbs.

here she is when she was 7 shooting it.
mailgooglecom.jpg

That cute little Sweetheart already looks like a pro. Great Form and a picture for your memory book. Thanks for sharing.

I bought my nine year old a Mathews Mission in left hand. There aren't a lot of left handed options out there for youth. The mission seems like a great bow. Huge adjustabiliy in draw length and draw weight. I picked up mine at Wilde Arrow in Centerville in a package deal. I figure it will be good until age 14 or 15.

VM

Wish I could get my daughter to shoot left handed since she is left eye domanant.She wants to shoot right handed but has to remember to close her left eye

My daughter is left eye dominate and right handed. There are advantages to having them switch and they pick it up really well with coaching. The coaching is best done by someone other then you because kids just don't want to listen to their parrents for some reason.

My son is left handed and right eye dominant and he has no issues shooting the bow but when he goes the rifle he tries to shoot left handed but using his right eye, haven't found a way to get him used to shooting the rifle right handed yet. Its odd that he seems just fine with the bow though.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-11 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]I went back and read all the post so far. So you are having him shoot a left handed bow but he is right eye dominate? He is seven and is shooting a rifle left handed but using his right eye.

Ok he is so confused right now. You don't know if he is shooting the bow fine or not because he probably isn't shooting with other kids his age or isn't old enough to be capable of shooting tight groups. Once he is he will suffer imho.

Like I said my daughter was left eye dominate but right handed. I had her shooting a right handed bow in the beginning because I couldn't afford a new bow for her. She shot ok but as time went on she didn't progress like her sister did. Once I switched her bows to a left handed bow her scores dropped at first but in less than three or four weeks she was shooting better then she ever shot right handed. Eye dominance is way more important then which hand you shoot with. Just think your boy if he was shooting properly he would be aiming his bow with his dominate eye and dominate hand and learning to pull the trigger with his left. The way you have him shooting he is using his not so dominate eye to aim with and using his not so dominate hand to aim with but allowing his dominate hand to pull the trigger. Then when he switches to rifle he manifests problems.
Easy fix! He's young! have him switch to a right handed bow and and right handed rifle. No more problems!

Nope, he shoots it left handed, seems to do great. When it comes to the rifle though he tries to look down with his right eye while shooting left handed.

I bought my 8yo daughter a Bear Apprentice. I believe the draw weight is 20-50lbs. I turned it all the way down and she could draw it fine. It has a 27"ata so it is just the rigth size for those younger kids.

My other daughter is twelve and she shoots a Diamond Razor Edge. This is a little bigger bow and too big for an 8yo. it has a 30"ata and draw weight from 30-60lbs. If yuor kid is on the big size he could probably handle it.

It is fun to watch them grow and improve. My son is seventeen, shoots a Hoyt Maxxis 35, and is a great shot. He has won the youth 3-d at our leage for 2 years and has shot three antelope with his bow. It's sure a long ways from where he started with the little PSE Nova eight years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom