Leica 1600-B or 1000-R

smitty

Very Active Member
I'm going to purchase either of these shortly. Wondering who has experience with either one? They both have angle compensation, the 1600-B seems to have more ballistics components. But I just don't know if it's worth the extra $200. I currently have the Leica Rangemaster 900 that I will be selling to upgrade. Just wanted to get some input before I do. Thanks

I upgraded from an old 1200 to a new 1600-b and I am very happy with it. That being said, the 1600-b drove me nuts trying to figure it out. The instructions are printed in several languages, so they leave out a number of details. I thought that I could not get the angle compensation to work, and screwed around with it for quite a while. Then I found that after it shoots the straight line distance, keep the trigger button depressed and for about 2 seconds more, then the "shoot to angle" shows up as a second(lower) distance.
This may be common knowledge to most folks, but I am technology challenged.
Hope this helps.
MTShasta

I've had both and they each have their pros and cons.

The 1600B does not do angle compensation below 100 yards, whereas the 1000R does.
I don't remember the specs right now but the 1600B will do angle compensation further than the 1000R.
I also believe the 1600B uses a more complex equation to calculate the actual shooting distance (temp, baro, humidity, angle, and the selected curve) and the 1000R is more basic (angle). Which may leave more room for error at long range.

I bought the 1600B to shoot long ranges, which is fun at the range but my actual hunting ranges are much shorter than my practice ranges, plus I archery hunt as well...so I sold the 1600B, bought the 1000R, and put the extra $ towards more gear.

If you're really looking into a long range range finder look at the gunwerks.

I've never regretted my choice.

Watch Camofire as they have them every once in a while and really cheap.I bought the 1600b and it was night and day compared to the cheaper leopould.

Another option you could look at is the new Sig Sauer Kilo 2000. I just picked one up and I love it. I get consistent ranges out to 1600 in bright sun and I have got out to 2400 in good conditions. I picked it up at www.savinglots.com for $399 Cabela's is $499. But I agree you can never go wrong with Leica.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom