leica geovid experience

cabinfever

Very Active Member
I would be interested in any opinions, good and bad, regarding the geovids. I have owned both swarovsi and leica before so I'm sold on the glass, however I have a few concerns: How's the warranty on the geovids? How does the rangefinder hold up with some abuse?

Thanks, Mike

There a bit heavy but have never failed when i used mine, i personally like the binoculars and range finder being seperate , i bow hunt a lot and the geovids again are a bit heavy. I bought these used for a deal and wouldnt have paid the new price for them. I cant tell you about warranty work as they have never not worked, they dp eat up a couple batteries per season if used a lot...

Goodluck
Bullmania

Love mine , Have never had a problem, warranty ? I carry a enough stuff nice to have the range finder and binos togther. Should have picked up a pair sooner.

You will love them! The newer ones are not heavy and the range finder works excellent. You will never look back. I would suggest the 8 power.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-10 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]The one's Ive seen & used worked well.They're good quality...BUT..... how much will they fetch on resale if for some reason the rangefinder doesn't work and that's the weak link in the setup. Just some food for thought and a different perspective. Like you said you have some of the best bino's made and you can replace the rangefinder part of the equation much cheaper as a stand alone unit. Besides they have a new rangefinder 1600 coming out that may be better than the combo units. Electronics on Leica only has a 5 year warranty and we all know those bino's will serve you far longer than that.

Save yourself the trouble of upgrading down the road, if you buy the 8 power you will wish you had more, just my experience. Buy the 10's or better yet the 12's which I have. i am waiting on them to make the 15' or 16's. 8's will do you no good.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-10 AT 06:09AM (MST)[p]Completely ignore the previous post.

I've got the 8x geovids and I have loved them. The rangefinder works perfectly, every time. I just sent some other binos into Leica for service, and they were awesome, so I would expect the same service if anything happened to the geos. I highly recommend them.

And chief, a couple of things.

Military studies have shown that 7 and 8x binos are the best power for handheld resolution. The higher the power, the more shake, the darker the image, and the less you can see. Also 8x allows for a much larger field of view, and allows more light in thanks to a larger exit pupil, making them superior in low light conditions. And guess what? Leica does make 15x geovids, so you're good to go. Heck, why stop there? Just hang your spotting scope around your neck.

Agreed with hntbambi and dryflyelk

I sold my Cabelas Euro 10x42 for 8x42 Geovids. Dryflyelk is correct on all counts and I love the binos. 8x42s are perfect for general mid-range and close range glassing, and ideal for rangfinding for bow shots or shorter rifle shots...as opposed to the tunnel vision with the 10x42s.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I had some 8x42 Geovids and they are really nice. They worked flawlessly for me. I recently upgraded to the Zeiss 10x45 RF binos. They are brighter, a little clearer, and range a lot further. If they are in your price range, definitely look into them, but you can't go wrong with the Geovids.

Get the Zeiss Victory RF Binos..!

If you want a range finder/bino combo get the Zeiss. Better binocular and WAY better range finder. You can range at least 2 or 3 times further with the Zeiss. Don't make the mistake of buying the Leica because you will be unhappy with the range finder and end up getting the Zeiss anyway. If you never range past 400 yards the Leica will work fine for you.

RE: Get the Zeiss Victory RF Binos..!

I have ranged 1300 yard deer with my Geovids. Great glass.

Grizzly

LOL.

I have never had a problem ranging past 1000 yards with my leicas. It looks like the range is about the same on both units. The one thing the Zeiss does have over the Leica is the button on the right side of the bins. That's about it.

My 10x42's range to 1000 yards with no troubles, Leicas are great glass. I think they are more clear than my SLC's. I wish they had the same winged eye cups as my Swaro's.

I have Geovids. They are great, but not up to the optical quality of the binos from the same company without the range finder IMO. I just feel the quality to the edge could be better.
All things aside, they are very handy and it is great not to carry another thing around your neck while hunting. For bow hunting they are a little bit of a pain if you are right handed because the button is designed to be worked with the left hand, and you are holding your bow! but I have big hands and can sometimes reach across and push the button.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom