leica lrf 800/ Nikon 1200

Moosestock

Just thought I would get the opinion from the masses that would help me make my decision on a rangefinder. I mostly hunt Blacktail Deer and Elk and shoot out to the 500ish yard range. I have about $350 to spend and I had settled on a Nikon gold 1200 but recently a friend (who doesn't hunt) had his Dad pass away and he had a Leica lrf 800 brand new in the box from his Dads stuff that was never used. He will sell it to me for $225. Am I better to get the Leica or buy the new Nikon 1200? Will the 800 lrf Leica range me out to where I need to go? Any info, comparison or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks...........Les

I have the lrf 800. Its a great range finder and will hit the 800 mark in almost any condition. on good days with a semi reflective target it will go further. The only thing i don't like about it is the way its designed to be held you almost need to hold it with two hands. the new crf has a better one handed design.

Allows you to hold the button down and get continuous readings if an animal is moving or if you wanted to "scan" from object to object.

I would go with the Leica, I dont think they can be beat. I am also willing to bet that the Leica 800 will out-range a Nikon 1200. When Leica says 800, they mean 800, most others only range about 2/3's of what they advertise unless it is something as big as a billboard with sunshine on it, in perfect conditions, which doesn't help if you are trying to range an animal in the field.

Thats a good deal on the Leica. I compared the Leica 1200 with the Nikon 1200 for a good while at Cabelas. I chose the Nikon 1200 because of price and accuracy. I am very happy with the Nikon. Out past 800 yrds you either need a bi-pod or a very large object, and it is almost always a two-hand rangefinder (big and bulky.) Optics are clearly better in the Leica's. The scan feature in the Nikon is nice though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom